Sealing header gaskets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sealing header gaskets

Post  jones on February 9th 2017, 11:15 am

Guaranteed way to keep a leak free header gasket? This is on a 460 but my 300 I6. I have always used the factory exhaust manifold gaskets like the crushed graphite gasket and have never had problems as long as the header bolts stay tight.

On this engine some of you know that the intake and exhaust gasket usually share the same gasket. I am debating on not using a gasket and just use copper sealant bead on the header and gasket on the intake. Or take a paper header gasket coating it with copper sealant front and back then letting it dry. (I have done this for ATV engines and works great, like a reusable gasket.)

Any suggestions? You would think by this day and time we would have solved the header exhaust leak issue.

jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sealing header gaskets

Post  Curt on February 9th 2017, 12:20 pm

Hi temp RTV
Curt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jones on February 9th 2017, 12:32 pm

Curt wrote:Hi temp RTV

It's hard to hold the header, intake manifold and tighten down bolts while making sure it stays in the correct position. That is why I thought about coating from and back with copper RTV and letting it cure before installation. Maybe then it won't get every where.

jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick on February 9th 2017, 2:16 pm

Use studs instead of bolts. No need to struggle with holding heavy parts in position.
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum