BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does adding a wave plate help the forward drum last after trans brake installation

5 posters

Go down

Does adding a wave plate help the forward drum last after trans brake installation Empty Does adding a wave plate help the forward drum last after trans brake installation

Post  manofmerc March 1st 2017, 6:53 am

Since we haven't had a new post in two months I thought to share this .I got Franks Trans brake installed and built my c6 to his specs.It shifts fine and the T brake works great .After my first pass no forward motion .Pulled my c6 apart forward clutch drum broken at the snap ring .I considered doing the wave plate deal but was skeptical .I BIT the bullet and ordered the steel forward drum from Frank .So far so good I haven't made that many passes with my car but I am confident that steel drum will last .So how many of you are using A trans brake and a stock drum with a wave plate installed ? And for how long ? Looking down the road if somebody wanted a c6 with Franks valve body I don't think many would purchase a Steel forward drum and trans brake too .That a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.The other story is that my c6 looked like new when I took it apart I had red raybestos clutches and band .They were like new .This c6 was five years old with probably 400 passes or more .I had a valve body I built with the transgo 67-3 shift kit .That's a forward pattern manual shift it worked good .Just wanting to know about his wave plate deal any body with some experience with this inquiring minds want to know ! Thanks Yall! Doug afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Does adding a wave plate help the forward drum last after trans brake installation Empty Re: Does adding a wave plate help the forward drum last after trans brake installation

Post  wayney March 5th 2017, 5:53 pm

how heavy and fast is the car?

thanks, wayne

wayney

Back to top Go down

Does adding a wave plate help the forward drum last after trans brake installation Empty Re: Does adding a wave plate help the forward drum last after trans brake installation

Post  manofmerc March 6th 2017, 5:29 am

My car is 3400 .I am just curious how the stock forward drums hold up with a wave plate added .So maybe 3000-3400 500-600 hp.I have been using Franks t brake and it hasn't missed a beat .Its a good one .

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney March 6th 2017, 9:45 pm

reason i ask is i have been running a stock drum and i am adding a brake for this year. looking for 10.50 or faster and 3900lbs.

wayne

wayney

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc March 7th 2017, 6:39 am

Wayney I am asking in case someone I know wants to put a trans brake in their c6 and cant afford to buy the steel drum .Not many responses to my post so far .For your car I would go with the steel drum .Mine broke on the first pass .I don't think engine power is the issue .It is the pressure on the forward clutches.My drum broke and my car was a 10.86 at 3400 lbs. So if you go 10.50 at 3900 lbs. you got more power than me.My comet runs 10.72 at 124 now and no transmission problems Franks valve body shifts good it has a hard 2-3 shift .Maybe somebody will answer with their wave plate experience .Good luck Doug afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust March 7th 2017, 7:23 am

I was waiting to see what responses came up.
To date i've built quite few of these now , I've always left the wave plate out and touch wood been ok and hopefully remains that way
The steel drums are definitely a nice addition.
I do set the clearance on the minimum

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl March 7th 2017, 2:26 pm

The drum seems to be a roll of the dice on longevity , out of the hundreds of C6's I've built , sometimes the drum lasts for years and the next one lasts only a short while , no reason why
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Does adding a wave plate help the forward drum last after trans brake installation Empty Forward drum

Post  manofmerc March 8th 2017, 6:23 am

I guess my drum was a one hit wonder ! From what I see it is a roll of the dice .I didn't use the wave plate maybe I should have I didn't want to loose a clutch .Most c6 parts are getting old now metal fatigue could be a factor .Like I said in my previous posts I didn't want to take a chance with another failure so I bought the steel drum .It would be hard to convince most guys to buy the steel drum after purchasing a trans brake and other parts for a c6 build . Thanks for posting Frank and Greg .your input goes a long way and this is good info for others .At my local track out of the 60-90 cars that show up I imagine 1-3 have a c6 .Most small block ford guys tell me I need a c4 I would love to loose the weigh but I don't feel a c4 would last .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney March 8th 2017, 1:28 pm

I have 3 in the last couple years running around. Broader brake, 190-210psi, OE drum w/4 or 5 fric and no wave I'm pretty sure. Maybe 1 does, but thats it. My personal deal, same parts, also no wave, and ran about 4 seasons before puttin away for babies for a while.
\
Only one I've had break on me was with a 67-3 kit from Transgo. Put it back together same way with a fresh drum, AND hooked up the mod. Been in toy service 5 more years.

On the steel drum; I and a few others will eventually upgrade during a freshen up, less impact on the pocket is the idea.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney March 8th 2017, 8:52 pm

manofmerc wrote:I guess my drum was a one hit wonder ! From what I see it is a roll of the dice .I didn't use the wave plate maybe I should have I didn't want to loose a clutch .Most c6 parts are getting old now metal fatigue could be a factor .Like I said in my previous posts I didn't want to take a chance with another failure so I bought the steel drum .It would be hard to convince most guys to buy the steel drum after purchasing a trans brake and other parts for a c6 build . Thanks for posting Frank and Greg .your input goes a long way and this is good info for others .At my local track out of the 60-90 cars that show up I imagine 1-3 have a c6 .Most small block ford guys tell me I need a c4 I would love to loose the weigh but I don't feel a c4 would last .Doug

yea, i have a friend that runs small blocks and c-4's. time permitting we may try it this summer .we are both curious about et gain with a c-4. His c-4's are set up for a c-6 input shaft so i will be able to use my torque converter all i would have to buy is longer driveshaft.

wayne

wayney

Back to top Go down

Does adding a wave plate help the forward drum last after trans brake installation Empty C4

Post  manofmerc March 9th 2017, 5:48 am

A c4 would free up some room in my 67 comet and be lighter and probably quicker but.I just think it wouldn't be as reliable as my c6.My smallblock friends have to rebuild every couple of years something else you don't do with a c6 .Maybe the Broader trans brake doesn't have the pressures Franks has .I had One of his t brakes and couldn't get it to work go figure .I really wish I had installed a wave plate in mine so I would know for my self .A little late for all that speculation though. One thing for sure I am happy with my c6 with Franks valve body I havent got used to leaving on the button yet but I am trying too.Doug afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust March 9th 2017, 6:35 am

J.Toney wrote:
Only one I've had break on me was with a 67-3 kit from Transgo. Put it back together same way with a fresh drum, AND hooked up the mod. Been in toy service 5 more years.

That may well have been the problem right there . I have seen the C4 -3 manual conversions and run with the modulator not connected the pressures got a bit wild

Franks Vavebodies run similar pressures to listed above . He lists on the instructions he sends for each one . The last I got was 195-200

I like my C4's , got a couple behind 500+ big blocks , built right they are sweet

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down