BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning off light rust from a crankshaft - how too?

4 posters

Go down

Cleaning off light rust from a crankshaft - how too? Empty Cleaning off light rust from a crankshaft - how too?

Post  75truck March 10th 2017, 1:33 am

Building a 429 and the motor project has set for a while. I perodically spray it down with
WD-40. This time I noticed some very light rust. I took a 800 grit wet or dry sand paper soaked in WD and hit all of the journals and re sprayed it all
with the wd.

Is this technique ok? Should I be doing anything else prior to installing in engine?

Bob
Tucson

75truck

Back to top Go down

Cleaning off light rust from a crankshaft - how too? Empty Re: Cleaning off light rust from a crankshaft - how too?

Post  BBFTorino March 10th 2017, 4:39 am

WD-40 is not meant for long term protection on anything. If you want to protect the crank journals from rust, put some grease on them or another suitable product that will stay on the part.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Cleaning off light rust from a crankshaft - how too? Empty Re: Cleaning off light rust from a crankshaft - how too?

Post  maverick March 10th 2017, 9:19 am

I only use WD40 on stuff I don't intend to keep. Like was suggested above, use something that will stay put like grease. Trans fluid works for shorter term storage, easier to clean off, too.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Cleaning off light rust from a crankshaft - how too? Empty WD protector

Post  ED468 March 12th 2017, 10:03 am

WD40 has a Protector type Can out now, heard it works good. White Lithium spray works ok on blocks.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down