Blue thunder dommy intake ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  torino501 on March 26th 2017, 8:16 pm

I've got this 4 hole B/T dommy dual plane intake... bought it from a guy locally years ago thinking I could do something with it... how would a person build around this intake... cam, compression, heads, application any ideas? Street strip? I've heard dommy carbs are quite finicky for street use...

torino501

Posts : 358
Join date : 2013-05-08
Location : THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  BBFTorino on March 27th 2017, 1:24 am

Will probably work best on something big, like 500+ inches.

BBFTorino

Posts : 325
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  supervel45 on March 27th 2017, 5:32 am

Application= Bragging at the Car Show to the Lawn Chair Crowd. Sell it.

supervel45

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2013-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  torino501 on March 27th 2017, 6:45 am

It's for the CJ heads also... y'all prob already new that.

torino501

Posts : 358
Join date : 2013-05-08
Location : THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  supervel45 on March 27th 2017, 7:23 am

Yea I knew that. It's a cool intake and all but, I would not build an engine around it. Cool

supervel45

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2013-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  torino501 on March 27th 2017, 7:43 am

My thinking was that the 4 holes would make for a better vacuum signal to the carb for a little crisper throttle response over the open plenum with the middle divider that I see on the internet... the only 4 hole dual plane I've seen was a Shelby intake.

torino501

Posts : 358
Join date : 2013-05-08
Location : THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  supervel45 on March 27th 2017, 7:57 am

torino501 wrote:My thinking was that the 4 holes would make for a better vacuum signal to the carb for a little crisper throttle response over the open plenum with the middle divider that I see on the internet... the only 4 hole dual plane I've seen was a Shelby intake.

I guess my thought is that if you run a Dominator it is either for Race or Street Race use not low end or midrange torque. That would mean a single plane intake with a high stall converter or a manual transmission. Just seems counter productive. I also believe they make a BT with a regular divider and a Dommy flange.

supervel45

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2013-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  supervel45 on March 27th 2017, 8:01 am

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+thunder+429+dominator+flange+intake&tbm=isch&imgil=q3-OnHRbri_-lM%253A%253B6c6dOOS5yHFZPM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.460ford.com%25252Fforum%25252F41-auction-block%25252F145816-429-460-blue-thunder-scj-intake-dominator.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=q3-OnHRbri_-lM%253A%252C6c6dOOS5yHFZPM%252C_&usg=__9WjZqBQ4sjgqD9ncmac5_efO9jM%3D&biw=1067&bih=529&ved=0ahUKEwiF2r-z0fbSAhWh6oMKHaa_DTwQyjcILg&ei=1f7YWMWbCaHVjwSm_7bgAw#imgrc=q3-OnHRbri_-lM:

This is the one I was thinking of.

supervel45

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2013-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  dfree383 on March 27th 2017, 8:16 am

They work very well on applications and classes requiring a dual plane, they are not "junk" by any means
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13443
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  dfree383 on March 27th 2017, 8:18 am

supervel45 wrote:
torino501 wrote:My thinking was that the 4 holes would make for a better vacuum signal to the carb for a little crisper throttle response over the open plenum with the middle divider that I see on the internet... the only 4 hole dual plane I've seen was a Shelby intake.

I guess my thought is that if you run a Dominator it is either for Race or Street Race use not low end or midrange torque. That would mean a single plane intake with a high stall converter or a manual transmission. Just seems counter productive. I also believe they make a BT with a regular divider and a Dommy flange.

Not really a bigger carb is required with a dual plane and a Dominator with a dual plane could just be the right ticket for a bigger inch engine. It's all in the application.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13443
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  supervel45 on March 27th 2017, 8:28 am

It could help if you have limited hood clearance also.

supervel45

Posts : 3004
Join date : 2013-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  torino501 on March 27th 2017, 9:05 am

The one I have is the 4 hole not the open plenum w divider wall... I don't see to many in the 4 hole configuration...

torino501

Posts : 358
Join date : 2013-05-08
Location : THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  dfree383 on March 27th 2017, 10:01 am

torino501 wrote:The one I have is the 4 hole not the open plenum w divider wall... I don't see to many in the 4 hole configuration...

Less volumn could work better depending on application
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13443
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue thunder dommy intake ?

Post  BBFTorino on March 28th 2017, 12:33 am

The 4 hole type will generally help increase the signal to each venturi, giving it a little better throttle response, but may not flow as much in the higher RPMs as the open plenum type.

BBFTorino

Posts : 325
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum