BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cometic MLS Exhaust Gaskets Port size suitable ? or best option ?

+2
Gregaust
bigblockfordfxstb
6 posters

Go down

Cometic MLS Exhaust Gaskets Port size suitable ? or best option ? Empty Cometic MLS Exhaust Gaskets Port size suitable ? or best option ?

Post  bigblockfordfxstb April 10th 2017, 4:13 am

Afternoon,

In the process or ordering parts (Ordering from Summit, in Australia so ordering number of parts from one supplier, $$$$ for freight from various suppliers.

Have have bad experience in the past from exhaust gasket leaks, and its such a tight fit its not practical to be simply removing them to replace or check, so want to do it one time only. Have read tons of comments but 2 many options and suggestions.

I see these Trickflow MLS gaskets but the port size on them vs mine are larger. I got a response from Trickflow they said ' should work fine' .

My Ports 2.055 H x 1.406 W
TFS-53490931 2.350 H x 1.550 W (.030 thick)

Is this just a bad idea ? should I stick with matching port size gaskets ? Do these also need a sealer to apply them ?

Thoughts ?

Thanks
R

Normally Aspirated
Cast Dove Head
Aftermarket Headers have been check for straightness and cleaned up

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tfs-53490931/overview/

460 photo exhaust-port_zpsgka0nafm.jpg
bigblockfordfxstb
bigblockfordfxstb

Back to top Go down

Cometic MLS Exhaust Gaskets Port size suitable ? or best option ? Empty Re: Cometic MLS Exhaust Gaskets Port size suitable ? or best option ?

Post  Gregaust April 10th 2017, 4:30 am

Copper Hi temp silicone , no gasket. I always used to use gaskets but then switched over . That's how I do all mine now

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Cometic MLS Exhaust Gaskets Port size suitable ? or best option ? Empty Re: Cometic MLS Exhaust Gaskets Port size suitable ? or best option ?

Post  Curt April 10th 2017, 8:39 am

Red RTV.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfordfxstb April 10th 2017, 9:51 am

Hi,

So no gasket at all straight silicon system ?

I guess you apply and all bolted up before it being set, problem is I have less than 1/4inch gap to try do anything, its real tight....

R

bigblockfordfxstb
bigblockfordfxstb

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf April 10th 2017, 10:09 am

Gregaust wrote:Copper Hi temp silicone , no gasket. I always used to use gaskets but then switched over . That's how I do all mine now

Curt wrote:Red RTV.

I know a lot of people use these methods and I have used it on my cobra headers but it is nasty and looks like crap if that is a concern. Also for a tight space I can see that being difficult to apply. I use the Felpro racing gaskets and have had good luck. You just have to make sure your bolts stay tight and they will last. Any gasket will blow out if the bolts come loose. Throw some teflon tape on your header bolts and it will work like loctite but you can still get them out without too much difficulty. I have also used the stage 8 locking system on my cobra and I have haven't blown a gasket since.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfordfxstb April 10th 2017, 10:11 am

Thanks Jason Will check then out.

bigblockfordfxstb
bigblockfordfxstb

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn April 11th 2017, 7:24 am

On the race car I just use straight red RTV because it's easy with my tubes being installed one at a time, works great. But on the small block street car I used Percy's "Seal For Good" gaskets. They also have a version called "Graph-Flex", I haven't tried that one yet. You can also order their "XX Carbon" in sheet form and cut your own. I think any of the three are available thru Summit.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfordfxstb April 11th 2017, 8:06 am

Hi Doug,
Have seen a few people rate the Percy gaskets. Ill check them out thanks for feedback to you and other guys also!

Rob
bigblockfordfxstb
bigblockfordfxstb

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 11th 2017, 3:26 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:On the race car I just use straight red RTV because it's easy with my tubes being installed one at a time, works great. But on the small block street car I used Percy's "Seal For Good" gaskets. They also have a version called "Graph-Flex", I haven't tried that one yet. You can also order their "XX Carbon" in sheet form and cut your own. I think any of the three are available thru Summit.

I run the Percy on my Ranger they have held up great I have even reused them also without a issue. I will keep on using them on the Ranger and the next time I have to replace the ones on my 69F100 be Percy. They are the best header gasket I have bought.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfordfxstb April 11th 2017, 4:53 pm

Ok found these on Summit. Slightly smaller port width, only bad thing is not in stock for a few week. Would order else where but have a number of orders with them to keep shipping to a minimum as its a killer at $90+ a pop and we have to keep below 700$us + freight (keep under $1000 Aus) we are then hit with Duty Tax on top.. not that you wanted to know that !

I take that i can clean up the gasket to match my width or will that break its seal?

Part 67035
Gasket Material: Graphite coated steel core laminate
Port Height (in): 2.060 in.
Port Width (in): 1.380 in.
bigblockfordfxstb
bigblockfordfxstb

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn April 12th 2017, 8:11 am

bigblockfordfxstb wrote:Ok found these on Summit. Slightly smaller port width, only bad thing is not in stock for a few week. Would order else where but have a number of orders with them to keep shipping to a minimum as its a killer at $90+ a pop and we have to keep below 700$us + freight (keep under $1000 Aus) we are then hit with Duty Tax on top.. not that you wanted to know that !

I take that i can clean up the gasket to match my width or will that break its seal?

Part 67035
Gasket Material: Graphite coated steel core laminate
Port Height (in): 2.060 in.
Port Width (in): 1.380 in.

I trimmed the corners of the "Seal for Good" gaskets so the radii matched better with no side effects. I would imagine you can trim the "Graph-Flex" also.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down