Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  tfsbbf466 on April 22nd 2017, 1:58 pm

I am building a pump gas 572 for my 4000bs truck and am unsure what to use for a cam. I want a solid flat tappet as ridiculous as it sounds. The shop assembling my short block is trying to talk me into a hyd roller. I do not want a solid roller as this will see a lot of street miles and I've had previous failures with solid rollers and very good results with solid tappets. This will be a street/strip pump gas build and will see a lot of nitrous 300+ from an induction solutions plate.

Parts I have:
A460 big bore block brand new
Scat 4.5 forged crank
Scat 6.70 forged h beams
Shop is ordering pistons
Motorsport A460 heads 2.30 int fresh and ported 410cfm intake
Motorsport A460 intake
Pro systems dominator
IS Real Street plate kit
2 1/8 headers to 4" collectors
C6 with Broader brake and PTC converter set up for this combo

Can a solid ft grind work for this combo? I don't hear any good things about hyd rollers in bbf's. This build will be broken in and ran on a dyno and I'd like to see 800hp and still be relatively reliable.

tfsbbf466

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  dfree383 on April 22nd 2017, 2:02 pm

A Street mechanical Roller with the right lobes and big .904 lifters would be my choice, you could also do a hyd roller but don't use cheap lifters.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13306
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  rmcomprandy on April 22nd 2017, 3:01 pm

tfsbbf466 wrote:I am building a pump gas 572 for my 4000bs truck and am unsure what to use for a cam. I want a solid flat tappet as ridiculous as it sounds. The shop assembling my short block is trying to talk me into a hyd roller. I do not want a solid roller as this will see a lot of street miles and I've had previous failures with solid rollers and very good results with solid tappets. This will be a street/strip pump gas build and will see a lot of nitrous 300+ from an induction solutions plate.

Parts I have:
A460 big bore block brand new
Scat 4.5 forged crank
Scat 6.70 forged h beams
Shop is ordering pistons
Motorsport A460 heads 2.30 int fresh and ported 410cfm intake
Motorsport A460 intake
Pro systems dominator
IS Real Street plate kit
2 1/8 headers to 4" collectors
C6 with Broader brake and PTC converter set up for this combo

Can a solid ft grind work for this combo? I don't hear any good things about hyd rollers in bbf's. This build will be broken in and ran on a dyno and I'd like to see 800hp and still be relatively reliable.

I do custom stuff for these type applications all the time but, be forewarned ... that the definite break-in procedure and subsequent extra work IS mandatory.
There are NO short-cuts.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4542
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  BBFTorino on April 22nd 2017, 4:22 pm

Yes, a solid flat tappet cam will work. It wont make the ultimate power that an aggressive solid roller will, but you also wont see a roller bearing failure either!!
Get the lifters with the small EDM hole in the lifter face for direct oil flow right to the cam lobe.
I don't see why 800 hp could not be achieved with the right cam and induction.

BBFTorino

Posts : 271
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  supervel45 on April 22nd 2017, 4:54 pm

BBFTorino wrote:Yes, a solid flat tappet cam will work. It wont make the ultimate power that an aggressive solid roller will, but you also wont see a roller bearing failure either!!
Get the lifters with the small EDM hole in the lifter face for direct oil flow right to the cam lobe.
I don't see why 800 hp could not be achieved with the right cam and induction.

This about the way I see it also but, don't get too crazy with it, let the horsepower fall were it may and let the nitrous make up the difference.

supervel45

Posts : 2910
Join date : 2013-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  windsor on April 23rd 2017, 4:47 am

I think you'll have to use a stock camshaft in order to make less than 800 with a 572" with A460 heads Razz


You could use Yella Terra pedestal style rockers (YT6321) with a hydraulic roller, they're fully adjustable and only about $750 or so.  Much cheaper than going to shaft rockers and solve the HR lifter issue of side loading.

http://yellaterra.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/59111/YT6321
avatar
windsor

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-08-09
Location : St. Pete/Northern Va.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  tfsbbf466 on April 23rd 2017, 10:38 am

I have the edm hole solid lifters now and 3 years of driving and racing I've had no issues whatsoever. That cam is 266/278. If I can make 800 reliable valvetrain hp I'll be happy. I'll make up the deficit with nitrous. Should still be a huge step up over the current TFS street headed 512. This will not be the last cam to enter this motor bc down the road I'll most likely buy the newer TFS 18 bolt A heads and intake and probably look into a roller then. But for the next 2-3 years I'd like to continue enjoying the truck on the street.

tfsbbf466

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  rmcomprandy on April 23rd 2017, 12:14 pm

tfsbbf466 wrote:I have the edm hole solid lifters now and 3 years of driving and racing I've had no issues whatsoever. That cam is 266/278. If I can make 800 reliable valvetrain hp I'll be happy. I'll make up the deficit with nitrous. Should still be a huge step up over the current TFS street headed 512. This will not be the last cam to enter this motor bc down the road I'll most likely buy the newer TFS 18 bolt A heads and intake and probably look into a roller then. But for the next 2-3 years I'd like to continue enjoying the truck on the street.

Eventually you will probably want to use something around/over .700" valve lift on the street with those heads.

You might want to think about opening the lifter bore holes for a .903" lifter to get even a bit more aggressive.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4542
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  tfsbbf466 on April 23rd 2017, 2:08 pm

Would I need a .903 lifter for a roller or only with an aggressive flat tappet?

tfsbbf466

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  rmcomprandy on April 23rd 2017, 5:44 pm

tfsbbf466 wrote:Would I need a .903 lifter for a roller or only with an aggressive flat tappet?

The bigger the diameter of the lifter ... the more velocity the ramp of a flat tappet cam lobe profile can be

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4542
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  Scott Foxwell on April 24th 2017, 8:03 am

tfsbbf466 wrote:Would I need a .903 lifter for a roller or only with an aggressive flat tappet?
X2 what Randy said...if you're going to stay flat tappet, then the bigger the lifter, the better.

Scott Foxwell

Posts : 291
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : N/E Tennessee

View user profile http://www.straubtechnologies.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  Straubtech on April 25th 2017, 11:03 am

tfsbbf466 wrote:I am building a pump gas 572 for my 4000bs truck and am unsure what to use for a cam. I want a solid flat tappet as ridiculous as it sounds. The shop assembling my short block is trying to talk me into a hyd roller. I do not want a solid roller as this will see a lot of street miles and I've had previous failures with solid rollers and very good results with solid tappets. This will be a street/strip pump gas build and will see a lot of nitrous 300+ from an induction solutions plate.

Parts I have:
A460 big bore block brand new
Scat 4.5 forged crank
Scat 6.70 forged h beams
Shop is ordering pistons
Motorsport A460 heads 2.30 int fresh and ported 410cfm intake
Motorsport A460 intake
Pro systems dominator
IS Real Street plate kit
2 1/8 headers to 4" collectors
C6 with Broader brake and PTC converter set up for this combo

Can a solid ft grind work for this combo? I don't hear any good things about hyd rollers in bbf's. This build will be broken in and ran on a dyno and I'd like to see 800hp and still be relatively reliable.

To reach you goal you need to go solid roller. Based on a .875" flat tappet lifter the lobe would have to be very aggressive to reach your goal. If you back the lift off and substituted duration it would make the build peaky and would not move the 4000# well. Compound that with the cylinder pressure your going to see on the exhaust side of things with "lots of NOS" you looking at a maintenance item with a solid flat tappet.

I would put a bushing roller lifter in it and call it good.

Straubtech

Posts : 238
Join date : 2015-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  tfsbbf466 on April 25th 2017, 5:11 pm

Ok I'm going to decide what to do cam size in the next few weeks. But I realize I ordered a 6.8 rod instead of a 6.7. Is there any issue running a 4.5 crank with 6.8 rod?

tfsbbf466

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  DanE on April 25th 2017, 6:01 pm

Not if the piston has a CH of 1.25". If the piston has a CH of 1.35", the piston will be out of the hole .080" to .100".

DanE

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  tfsbbf466 on April 25th 2017, 6:32 pm

I doen't have pistons yet. They will be custom ordered. So no issues with the rings or the pin height? This will be steeet driven

tfsbbf466

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  rmcomprandy on April 26th 2017, 10:58 am

tfsbbf466 wrote:I have the edm hole solid lifters now and 3 years of driving and racing I've had no issues whatsoever. That cam is 266/278. If I can make 800 reliable valvetrain hp I'll be happy. I'll make up the deficit with nitrous. Should still be a huge step up over the current TFS street headed 512. This will not be the last cam to enter this motor bc down the road I'll most likely buy the newer TFS 18 bolt A heads and intake and probably look into a roller then. But for the next 2-3 years I'd like to continue enjoying the truck on the street.

That cam you have is pretty close ... maybe 2 more degrees on the intake and 4 more on the exhaust with about, .700" valve lift with that size engine and some nitrous; however, 800 horsepower NA would be easily gotten.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4542
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam help 572 a460 build street/strip build

Post  octanehuffer on April 27th 2017, 3:22 pm

tfsbbf466 wrote:I am building a pump gas 572 for my 4000bs truck and am unsure what to use for a cam. I want a solid flat tappet as ridiculous as it sounds. The shop assembling my short block is trying to talk me into a hyd roller. I do not want a solid roller as this will see a lot of street miles and I've had previous failures with solid rollers and very good results with solid tappets. This will be a street/strip pump gas build and will see a lot of nitrous 300+ from an induction solutions plate.

Parts I have:
A460 big bore block brand new
Scat 4.5 forged crank
Scat 6.70 forged h beams
Shop is ordering pistons
Motorsport A460 heads 2.30 int fresh and ported 410cfm intake
Motorsport A460 intake
Pro systems dominator
IS Real Street plate kit
2 1/8 headers to 4" collectors
C6 with Broader brake and PTC converter set up for this combo

Can a solid ft grind work for this combo? I don't hear any good things about hyd rollers in bbf's. This build will be broken in and ran on a dyno and I'd like to see 800hp and still be relatively reliable.
I'm nearing the end of a 572 build too. 4.5"x4.5" 6.8" rod to keep the piston in the bore more. TFS A460 18 bolt head and went with a Crower hippo .903 solid roller lifter with a basic .730 lift and 278 duration. I don't mean basic like off the shelf, but just a driver/street/strip cam with nitrous intentions for now. Nothing too wild but we are expecting 910-930 hp.
avatar
octanehuffer

Posts : 54
Join date : 2012-10-25
Location : Lakeland,Mn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum