BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Budget build with performance in mind

4 posters

Go down

Budget build with performance in mind Empty Budget build with performance in mind

Post  SDMF June 26th 2017, 7:33 pm

Hey guys so I've been debating on this subject for about a week and can't really make up my mind. The build will be going in a 68 f 100, it won't be a daily but will get driven so that's something to keep in mind. I'm looking for 450hp to the wheels. So here's my question my block is a 71 and currently has a balanced rotating assembly consisting of 69 rods, 73 pistons and a 79 crank. I'm wanting to up the compression to about 9.5:1 ( heads are 73) the Pistons I've been looking at are the speed pro flat tops and I'm not sure I can get there with this choice? Cam will be a lunati voodoo 262/268, heads will be home ported(exhaust side mainly), performer intake and a 750 Holley. So let's here what everyone has to say.

Thanks
Chris

SDMF

Back to top Go down

Budget build with performance in mind Empty Re: Budget build with performance in mind

Post  dfree383 June 26th 2017, 9:12 pm

Spend more time on the heads and intake side, the exhaust side can be easily compensated for in the cam
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Budget build with performance in mind Empty Re: Budget build with performance in mind

Post  SDMF June 30th 2017, 1:54 pm

Thanks dfree. I will be spending a lot of time on the heads.

SDMF

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 30th 2017, 4:19 pm

Those flat-top pistons at their -/020" deck clearance will get to 9.6/1 compression ratio with D3VE heads..  Decking the block to near "0" deck would be much better.

The heads will need larger valves installed with some bowl porting AND a Trick Flow "Track Heat" intake manifold or "Victor port match" on the heads with a Victor intake manifold.  A Performer intake manifold won't get you to the performance level you wish to achieve.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SDMF July 1st 2017, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the info Randy. Would a performer rpm help? Wanting to keep some drive ability.

Thanks
Chris

SDMF

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 1st 2017, 10:26 pm

Drivability is in the carb and tune
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SDMF July 1st 2017, 11:27 pm

I understand about the tune, but in my previous experience with the Vic jr's it wasn't a very pleasurable drive until it was up around 4500 then it was a blast ( 5.0's either stock stroke crank or stroked). I'm new to the BBF that's why I'm asking. I do appreciate the responses. That's why I'm asking.

SDMF

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 2nd 2017, 9:04 am

SDMF wrote:I understand about the tune, but in my previous experience with the Vic jr's it wasn't a very pleasurable drive until it was up around 4500 then it was a blast ( 5.0's either stock stroke crank or stroked). I'm new to the BBF that's why I'm asking. I do appreciate the responses. That's why I'm asking.

There is no viable comparison to make at all between any type 5.0 small block and a 460 big block.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick July 2nd 2017, 9:18 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
SDMF wrote:I understand about the tune, but in my previous experience with the Vic jr's it wasn't a very pleasurable drive until it was up around 4500 then it was a blast ( 5.0's either stock stroke crank or stroked). I'm new to the BBF that's why I'm asking. I do appreciate the responses. That's why I'm asking.

There is no viable comparison to make at all between any type 5.0 small block and a 460 big block.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If by "driveability" you mean you want to keep some low end grunt...don't worry about it. A guy who's used to 5.0 power is in for a surprise.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down