BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C4/C5 transmission questions ?

3 posters

Go down

C4/C5 transmission questions ? Empty C4/C5 transmission questions ?

Post  whitefield June 29th 2017, 7:36 pm

Okay guys I am getting into the c4 season and have a few ( experimental) questions.
I have some guys running these things in the high 5s for two seasons I myself run one in the lower mid 6s in the 1/8 mile.

I was wondering if anyone has used the gen 2 Raybestos blue .061 thick clutches with .078 thick koleen steels with any success ?

If I run this set up in my own and customers clutch drums , the stack up would be 6 and 6 versus what I am running now 5 and 5. The 5 and 5 set up run the stock waffle vanilla clutches in direct and smooth vanilla in forward. This set up has both clutch drums using .078 thick clutches and steels stock no koleen steels in this set up .

Transmissions have all of the popular and needed modifications .
I was wondering if the clutch material and adding the one extra clutch would help with performance and time in between freshen ups ?

Thanks Whitey
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

C4/C5 transmission questions ? Empty Re: C4/C5 transmission questions ?

Post  Gregaust June 30th 2017, 5:56 am

I've done a few 6+6 setups . i usually do if making good torque, Sorry I can't help on the blues though, would be intersted to see the resultsd . I believe they are supposed to give a good lockup over normal frictions ???

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield July 4th 2017, 10:01 pm

Thanks Greg , I plan on Using 6 Raybestos blue waffle .061 clutches and .078 Koleen steels in the direct drum only and set clutch pack clearance from .050 to .060 .

Jay doesn't drill the holes anymore on his direct drum so I may not do this modification on this drum for this particular transmission as it will be using one of Jays trans brake valve bodies.

The other unit I will be doing the same upgrades to but it already has the holes drilled in the direct drum and uses a PA trans brake valve body.

Looking to try and pick up a little et and more runs between freshen ups.

whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust July 6th 2017, 5:23 am

Be interested to see how they go . I have often looked at them and wondered.

I'm curious the reasoning for no longer drilling the drums , I had read that on one of the FB pages i'm on.

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 6th 2017, 8:14 pm

whitefield wrote:Thanks Greg , I plan on Using 6 Raybestos blue waffle .061 clutches and .078 Koleen steels in the direct drum only and set clutch pack clearance from  .050 to .060 .

Jay doesn't drill the holes anymore on his direct drum so I may not do this modification on this drum for this particular transmission as it will be using one of Jays trans brake valve bodies.

The other unit I will be doing the same upgrades to but it already has the holes drilled in the  direct drum and uses a PA trans brake valve body.

Looking to try and pick up a little et and more runs between freshen ups.

Seems like you might want to go .060"-.070" with that many clutch's to give them plenty of room to disinguage. Looser is usually better (safer) in this area I believe.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 6th 2017, 8:16 pm

Gregaust wrote:Be interested to see how they go . I have often looked at them and wondered.

I'm curious the reasoning for no longer drilling the drums , I had read that on one of  the FB pages i'm on.

Me To.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield July 6th 2017, 11:10 pm

Supervel45 I thought about the clutch pack clearance  too. I called Raybestos tech line to see what clutch pack clearance they recommended. I did not get a answer , plan to call back Monday.  You did get me to thinking with this style clutch looser maybe better.  I don't want to be to loose and have third gear flare and eventually have transmission failures.

The reason I said 50 to 60 is I have had good luck on most all of my c4s direct drums running them @ a minimum of .050  clutch pack. Clearance and no more than .060. I have never used this type clutches or a c4 set up using them this way. So .060 would give me roughly .010 per clutch

I do realize that the clutch material and clearance is a small part of a combination of things to make these direct clutches live. Band adjustment Vb psi end play pump gear wear sealing rings fluid type Heat etc.

Thanks for the input. Cool

Last edited by whitefield on July 9th 2017, 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

C4/C5 transmission questions ? Empty Clutch differences from Raybestos website

Post  whitefield July 6th 2017, 11:30 pm

Stage-1About:
Raybestos Stage-1 Performance frictions are an affordable solution for performance applications that may not require the capacity of the Gen2 Blue Plate Special, but do require a friction plate that can handle the demands that a stock tan or high energy plate cannot. Stage-1 frictions are not limited to performance, but also enhance heavy duty applications by increasing holding capacity, while being able to withstand higher temperatures associated with towing heavy loads. Raybestos Stage-1 Performance frictions are the best choice for street rods, tuner cars and mild street strip applications.
Advantages:
Withstands high horsepower
Greater torque capacity
Maintains piston travel
Optimum performance
Higher heat resistance
Smooth engagements
Enhanced shift feel
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield July 6th 2017, 11:36 pm

Gen 2 Blue Plate SpecialAbout:
The Gen2 Blue Plate Special, the ultimate racing clutch for automatic transmissions, is the perfect clutch for ALL TYPES of racing. It features an improved Raybestos-developed material that offers optimum shifting at a level above standard racing clutches. It provides a positive engagement under high power conditions where all of the energy absorption is condensed into a very short length of time. Gen2 is a state-of-the-art, power absorbing clutch that performs with very low wear, excellent fatigue strength, high durability and quick shifts with little shock for even faster times.
Advantages:
Made with high-strength, matrix bonding resins for superior performance
Manufactured with high-strength steel
Less shock during shifts
Greater durability to last race after race
Excellent fatigue strength to handle high power cycling
Withstands higher torque and horsepower per plate than the competition
Quick engagements for winning performance
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down