BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

water pump bypass tube

3 posters

Go down

water pump bypass tube Empty water pump bypass tube

Post  doughbro July 22nd 2017, 7:18 pm

I am in the final stages of my 460 build. The water pump that I bought does not have the tube for the bypass in the pump, just a hole for it. The only fitting that I could find for it is 5/8" diameter. The hole is about .585, the tube is .625. Before I crack the new pump trying to drive the tube into it, any ideas on how to proceed?

doughbro

Back to top Go down

water pump bypass tube Empty Re: water pump bypass tube

Post  rmcomprandy July 22nd 2017, 8:00 pm

doughbro wrote:I am in the final stages of my 460 build. The water pump that I bought does not have the tube for the bypass in the pump, just a hole for it. The only fitting that I could find for it is 5/8" diameter. The hole is about .585, the tube is .625. Before I crack the new pump trying to drive the tube into it, any ideas on how to proceed?

Sounds as if that hole was supposed to be tapped to a 3/8 NPT pipe thread but, somehow that operation was deleted along the line.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  doughbro July 22nd 2017, 10:10 pm

Hmmm. I think that they are usually pressed in, but your idea might be the answer. The dimensions are close enough to try threading the hole, even if they aren't perfect threads, some pipe sealer will fix that. Thanks for your suggestion.

doughbro

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf July 23rd 2017, 9:42 am

doughbro wrote:Hmmm. I think that they are usually pressed in, but your idea might be the answer. The dimensions are close enough to try threading the hole, even if they aren't perfect threads, some pipe sealer will fix that.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Some of the aftermarket ones are threaded.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  doughbro July 24th 2017, 10:40 am

3/8" pipe tap worked like a charm. Thank you for the help.

doughbro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down