BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine setback

3 posters

Go down

Engine setback Empty Engine setback

Post  69BOSS August 4th 2017, 8:05 pm

I have a 69 Mustang, I have cut the firewall out and will replace it with a flat piece. The trans tunnel will be replaced as well. I am trying to figure out the best placement of the engine. I am using motor plates. If I set the engine back as far as I can, that would be best for weight transfer, but then I would have to pull the engine when I need to service the clutch. If I set it forward enough so I can access the clutch without pulling the engine, then I lose the benefit of better weight distribution.
I leaning towards setting it back as far as I can, but before I commit, I am looking for advice form those that have been there and done that.

A little about the car:69 fastback, R&C Mustang II coilover suspension kit, modified for a Stiletto rack (top of the rack is 3/4" above the x-member), full mild steel cage & frame connectors thru the floor. Mini tubs are in and soon will convert to ladder bar /coil overs. The engine is a 557 dove block with Milodon 4bolt caps and P51 heads. Trans is a Lenco ST1200.

Thanks in advance

Staci
69BOSS
69BOSS

Back to top Go down

Engine setback Empty Re: Engine setback

Post  jasonf August 5th 2017, 9:11 am

Unless you are running a remote oil pump your oil pan is going decide where it can be unless you get back far enough to be behind the front x member.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69BOSS August 5th 2017, 10:23 am

I get what you are saying, that's part of the struggle people have with the Mustang II suspension. The Mustang II rack was 2'' above the X-member. The Stilleto rack I have is only 3/4" above the X-member, so as the engine sits now, the crank centerline is 1" above the frame rail. If I moved the engine rearward enough to clear the rack, the engine would be about 3+ inches into the cowl area. The height of the motor isn't ideal, but I can live with it. The alternative would be to scrap the Mustang II stuff and start over. If I had to start over from scratch, I would go with a full tube chassis without compromise.
Staci:)

69BOSS
69BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 6th 2017, 4:00 am

Having a decent amount of engine setback in a car that's not a purpose built full chassis car can be a PITA deal full of headaches to deal with.

(1) Making the hood & cowl a one piece deal makes the engine easier to work on.

(2) Having a clutch/Lenco combo pretty much dictates needing a removable trans tunnel. But having a removable trans tunnel means the car won't be as stiff/rigid as it would be with a fixed/welded trans tunnel. Adding a full 8.50 cage helps, but adding a double frame rail helps even more. A SFI cage & double frame rails is even better.

(3) Depending on how much power the combo has to work with having a bunch of engine setback might actually be a bad thing (excessive wheelstands, 100% dead-hooking a conventional slick, etc).

(4) And depending on what the car's intended use is (like say racing in a specific class) there might be specified limits to the max amount of engine setback that they allow.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down