Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  427HISS on August 12th 2017, 4:10 pm

Is yours a Midstates ?

I built a LoneStar.

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 56
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  427HISS on August 12th 2017, 4:16 pm

Sorry, doubled up.

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 56
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  jasonf on August 12th 2017, 4:25 pm

Factory Five Mk 3.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2009-07-14
Age : 49
Location : Lafayette, LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  res0rli9 on August 12th 2017, 5:10 pm

you could build one these. 461ci. sbf... 820hp on pump gas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJRMLfrlPvg

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3342
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 69
Location : sarasota FL.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  427HISS on August 12th 2017, 8:20 pm

869 HP with the pump on. Wow, what a great one.
With 12:5:1 I'd have to use E-85 or race fuel.

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 56
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  Mark Miller on August 12th 2017, 11:42 pm

jasonf wrote:You will have to forgive my FE comments. In high school we did maintenance on the county trucks which were 70's F series trucks and FE motors. I hated those 100 lb intakes manifolds and never liked FE's again. lol.

Mark Miller wrote:

Can you post any under hood pictures of the 4.6 DOHC in your Cobra?

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 9stANEt

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 5Fu97Iv

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Llt5nOc

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 ZpQgk6Y

That engine looks good in your Cobra,it looks like the 4.6 DOHC engine in my brothers 2001 Cobra except your valve covers look a little different!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Mark Miller

Posts : 1411
Join date : 2009-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  Mark Miller on August 12th 2017, 11:44 pm

jasonf wrote:Here is my friends 460 powered Cobra. It originally had Webers on it but he kept having driving issues so he went to a single 4 bbl.

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 16406517_10210337037036006_1934037085253302815_n

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 148745_10203732828654924_3240610495592718176_n

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 17425899_10210729759093812_4696433462001932209_n

That 460 looks good in your friends Cobra,do you know the specs on his 460 engine? Very Happy Very Happy

Mark Miller

Posts : 1411
Join date : 2009-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  68formalGT on August 12th 2017, 11:59 pm

427HISS wrote: I built a LoneStar.

That's what I wanted to build, I went to their shop back in 2003. I liked the idea of the extra 4" in the door and they had a well designed chassis.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Posts : 830
Join date : 2012-02-13
Location : Pueblo West, Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  427HISS on August 13th 2017, 10:55 am

Since I live 50 miles from Midstates and Shell Valley I checked them out first, and they are very nice cars. I then looked at Lonestar. The frame is stout, body is thicker and really like the "vinylester" , love the extra touch of the molded in dash, inside the doors, hood and trunk.

Really, the only thing I don't like or understand, is that if you have a FE, a turkey pan will not fit ? (that pissed me off) when I asked why thy said, "we didn't think people wanted it". The new owners have made changes, but don't know if they raised the hood scoop ? I don't mind that some companys like LSC are not built exactly like the originals, except the shape of the wheelwells, I have a thing about that ? With the 4" increased doors and 4" dropped floor, it's wonderful to get into and to drive. I'm 5'9" and can't touch the firewall. At shows I let anyone sit in the car (most owners won't)Rolling Eyes and countless 6' + men love it, one guy sat ina 90" wheelbase but couldn't fit, when he sat in mine, almost teared saying he wanted one since high school and he ordered a LSC that week. Very cool !

The only time you can tell the 4" longer wheelbase is right next to a 90", you can see the doors are longer.

I'll see if I can lower the size of my photo's to post here.

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 56
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  rmcomprandy on August 13th 2017, 11:09 am

427HISS wrote:Since I live 50 miles from Midstates and Shell Valley I checked them out first, and they are very nice cars. I then looked at Lonestar. The frame is stout, body is thicker and really like the "vinylester" , love the extra touch of the molded in dash, inside the doors, hood and trunk.

Really, the only thing I don't like or understand, is that if you have a FE, a turkey pan will not fit ?  (that pissed me off) when I asked why thy said, "we didn't think people wanted it".  The new owners have made changes, but don't know if they raised the hood scoop ? I don't mind that some companys like LSC are not built exactly like the originals, except the shape of the wheelwells, I have a thing about that ?  With the 4" increased doors and 4" dropped floor, it's wonderful to get into and to drive. I'm 5'9" and can't touch the firewall. At shows I let anyone sit in the car (most owners won't)Rolling Eyes  and countless 6' + men love it, one guy sat ina 90" wheelbase but couldn't fit, when he sat in mine, almost teared saying he wanted one since high school and he ordered a LSC that week. Very cool !

The only time you can tell the 4" longer wheelbase is right next to a 90", you can see the doors are longer.

I'll see if I can lower the size of my photo's to post here.

I don't know much about all the several Cobra replicas available however, I have worked with a bunch of Superformance and Everett-Morrison cars, actual road racers included,  and they all drive very well; especially braking and turning with a big Windsor engine under the hood.

A few have valve cover adapters which use FE valve covers on a Windsor head and at first viewing; because of the front water tank, looks very much like an FE engine, (except for the exhaust headers).

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5342
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  68formalGT on August 13th 2017, 11:19 am

When I took a tour of their shop they had a customer's car there that they were redesigning a header for small blocks, the shop manager took me for a ride in the car after they finished it up. It had a 392 with a 6 speed manual and could break the tires loose in every gear. On the way back he pulled over and trained spots with me and I got to drive it, I think I scared the shit out of him when I took off with a 4000 rpm launch. The car handled like a dream.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Posts : 830
Join date : 2012-02-13
Location : Pueblo West, Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  jasonf on August 13th 2017, 3:00 pm

Mark Miller wrote:

That 460 looks good in your friends Cobra,do you know the specs on his 460 engine? Very Happy Very Happy

No I don't.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2009-07-14
Age : 49
Location : Lafayette, LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  427HISS on August 13th 2017, 5:28 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
427HISS wrote:Since I live 50 miles from Midstates and Shell Valley I checked them out first, and they are very nice cars. I then looked at Lonestar. The frame is stout, body is thicker and really like the "vinylester" , love the extra touch of the molded in dash, inside the doors, hood and trunk.

Really, the only thing I don't like or understand, is that if you have a FE, a turkey pan will not fit ?  (that pissed me off) when I asked why thy said, "we didn't think people wanted it".  The new owners have made changes, but don't know if they raised the hood scoop ? I don't mind that some companys like LSC are not built exactly like the originals, except the shape of the wheelwells, I have a thing about that ?  With the 4" increased doors and 4" dropped floor, it's wonderful to get into and to drive. I'm 5'9" and can't touch the firewall. At shows I let anyone sit in the car (most owners won't)Rolling Eyes  and countless 6' + men love it, one guy sat ina 90" wheelbase but couldn't fit, when he sat in mine, almost teared saying he wanted one since high school and he ordered a LSC that week. Very cool !

The only time you can tell the 4" longer wheelbase is right next to a 90", you can see the doors are longer.

I'll see if I can lower the size of my photo's to post here.

I don't know much about all the several Cobra replicas available however, I have worked with a bunch of Superformance and Everett-Morrison cars, actual road racers included,  and they all drive very well; especially braking and turning with a big Windsor engine under the hood.

A few have valve cover adapters which use FE valve covers on a Windsor head and at first viewing; because of the front water tank, looks very much like an FE engine, (except for the exhaust headers).

I don't care for guys that have BB 427 valve covers on SB engines if,......their trying to fool people that it's a BB. Rolling Eyes
That's like putting Hemi on Chevy covers. lol

68formalGT wrote:When I took a tour of their shop they had a customer's car there that they were redesigning a header for small blocks, the shop manager took me for a ride in the car after they finished it up. It had a 392 with a 6 speed manual and could break the tires loose in every gear. On the way back he pulled over and trained spots with me and I got to drive it, I think I scared the shit out of him when I took off with a 4000 rpm launch. The car handled like a dream.

Lol, good for you !

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 56
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  427HISS on August 13th 2017, 5:58 pm

Well, no pics as I need to be a member for 7 days before posting links for them.

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 56
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  jasonf on August 14th 2017, 9:34 am

427HISS wrote:

I don't care for guys that have BB 427 valve covers on SB engines if,......their trying to fool people that it's a BB.   Rolling Eyes
That's like putting Hemi on Chevy covers. lol


Lol, good for you !


Come on now, pentroof valve covers on a windsor are not all that bad. Very Happy

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 3tQnq5ng

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 KxLnxqD

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 FRDoudJg

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 QWrXCER
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 2885
Join date : 2009-07-14
Age : 49
Location : Lafayette, LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  rmcomprandy on August 14th 2017, 10:04 am

427HISS wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

I don't know much about all the several Cobra replicas available however, I have worked with a bunch of Superformance and Everett-Morrison cars, actual road racers included,  and they all drive very well; especially braking and turning with a big Windsor engine under the hood.

A few have valve cover adapters which use FE valve covers on a Windsor head and at first viewing; because of the front water tank, looks very much like an FE engine, (except for the exhaust headers).

I don't care for guys that have BB 427 valve covers on SB engines if,......their trying to fool people that it's a BB.   Rolling Eyes
That's like putting Hemi on Chevy covers. lol

Some people just like the style of those pent-roof FE valve covers; (not necessarily 427 covers).

One guy I do the engine for, has a 392 Cleveland with O.E.M. sheet metal, pent-roof, production "Powered by Ford", valve covers painted wrinkle black.  He is not trying to fool anyone; just likes the looks of 'em.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5342
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Reason Me Into A  385 Series - Page 2 Empty Re: Reason Me Into A 385 Series

Post  427HISS on August 14th 2017, 11:25 am

Now, now,....I said guys that are trying to FOOL people,..... not that that their using pent roof covers.
If you have a small block that is a stroker 427, that's fine.


427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 56
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum