When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  427HISS on August 14th 2017, 5:40 pm

With a carbed 460 stroker, say to 514, 545, is it nessessery to give up a mechanicl fuel pump to a electric ?

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 55
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  rmcomprandy on August 14th 2017, 6:54 pm

427HISS wrote:With a carbed 460 stroker, say to 514, 545,  is it nessessery to give up a mechanicl fuel pump to a electric ?

I don't think this is the section for this but,
Not unless it is well over 800 horsepower. There are high pressure, 6 valve, mechanical fuel pumps readily available however, a fuel pressure regulator is necessary.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4790
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  427HISS on August 14th 2017, 8:23 pm

I don't know how I placed the question here. Sorry about that.
Mods, feel free to move my thread.

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 55
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  DeepRoots on August 15th 2017, 7:59 am

I run electric fuel pumps more for the ease of priming and it is easier to isolate the fuel lines from heat.


DeepRoots

Posts : 97
Join date : 2012-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  dfree383 on August 15th 2017, 11:11 am

In fast stuff it's easier to push fuel than pull it
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13583
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  rmk57 on August 15th 2017, 11:39 am

I use a Carter M60882 on a 502. Around 530 hp and runs 11.50's @ 116 mph. I enlarged the inlet to 3/8 npt from 1/4 npt. I holds 5 psi from about half track on.

I have 1/2 fuel line to the pump and 3/8 to the carb. Seems to be enough.

rmk57

Posts : 84
Join date : 2010-05-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  427HISS on August 15th 2017, 11:53 am

I'd rather not have to use electric, just more possible problems. A lot of people think their cool, like a race car. Rolling Eyes
They can have so many issues compared to mechanicals,....and most are noisy. Too me, its an irritating, like the noise of a fax machine !
Same for the noise of a gear drive. "It sounds like a blower man". I say nope, the only good whine is,..... a blower.

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 55
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  dfree383 on August 15th 2017, 1:35 pm

Funny how all new cars have used electric pumps for the last 30 years
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13583
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  rmk57 on August 15th 2017, 2:45 pm

Well that's true, but there all internal and quiet. Think if everyone driving on public roads had Holley blue pumps, 3/4 of the cars would be broken down on the side of the road and the other 1/4 would be deaf. Electric fuel pump would be a last resort for me to.

rmk57

Posts : 84
Join date : 2010-05-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  427HISS on August 15th 2017, 4:13 pm

Cars have had aluminum blocks decades and utill recently, aftermarket blocks have sucked.
To have a great and reliable electric system, their very expensive to plumb and to maintain.

A high quality mechanical pump is worry free for many years and almost no maintainance.


Last edited by 427HISS on August 15th 2017, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 55
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  dfree383 on August 15th 2017, 4:26 pm

rmk57 wrote:Well that's true, but there all internal and quiet. Think if everyone driving on public roads had Holley blue pumps, 3/4 of the cars would be broken down on the side of the road and the other 1/4 would be deaf.  Electric fuel pump would be a last resort for me to.

Let's at least upgrade into the 90's? Very Happy Holley blue is so 70's!

Their are avaliable intank pumps and quiet external pumps, it's not a big deal.

And simple EFI systems are getting very affordable.

My next street cruiser is going to forgo the atmospheric controlled metering device for a stand alone EFI system.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13583
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  rmcomprandy on August 15th 2017, 6:18 pm

dfree383 wrote: Funny how all new cars have used electric pumps for the last 30 years

AA/Fuel Dragsters use a MECHANICAL fuel pump and they make about 10,000 horsepower.

I don't think there is a small lightweight electric fuel pump on the planet that will keep-up.

Though, this original question was probably concerning mechanical, DIAPHRAM type fuel pumps.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4790
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  dfree383 on August 15th 2017, 7:44 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote: Funny how all new cars have used electric pumps for the last 30 years

AA/Fuel Dragsters use a MECHANICAL fuel pump and they make about 10,000 horsepower.

I don't think there is a small lightweight electric fuel pump on the planet that will keep-up.

Though, this original question was probably concerning mechanical, DIAPHRAM type fuel pumps.

I'm thinking that's a little beyond the initial question.... Very Happy
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13583
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  Curt on August 18th 2017, 9:53 am

dfree383 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote: Funny how all new cars have used electric pumps for the last 30 years

AA/Fuel Dragsters use a MECHANICAL fuel pump and they make about 10,000 horsepower.

I don't think there is a small lightweight electric fuel pump on the planet that will keep-up.

Though, this original question was probably concerning mechanical, DIAPHRAM type fuel pumps.

I'm thinking that's a little beyond the initial question.... Very Happy

Well Dave, you did put "funny" and "car" in the same sentence. Wink
avatar
Curt

Posts : 2605
Join date : 2009-02-08
Age : 55
Location : Henrietta, Texas but mostly on the road

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When To Change To A Electric Fuel Pump ?

Post  427HISS on August 18th 2017, 10:23 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote: Funny how all new cars have used electric pumps for the last 30 years

AA/Fuel Dragsters use a MECHANICAL fuel pump and they make about 10,000 horsepower.

I don't think there is a small lightweight electric fuel pump on the planet that will keep-up.

Though, this original question was probably concerning mechanical, DIAPHRAM type fuel pumps.
-----------------

Correct, typical street pump.

What are some heavy duty pumps that will stand up to high RPM's, power, etc ?

427HISS

Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-09
Age : 55
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum