BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southeast Gassers A/Gas Comet build

3 posters

Go down

Southeast Gassers  A/Gas Comet build Empty Southeast Gassers A/Gas Comet build

Post  Fairlanes4ever August 20th 2017, 7:55 pm

Going over options on a 63 Comet gasser build a good friend of mine is planning. Plan is to run A/Gas and car to weigh in around 2700lbs. Originally he planned on building a SBF stroker in the 408-427 range. Pretty doable with off the shelf parts. Conversation eventually turned to Clevelands. Jimmy Huff is doing some great stuff with those motors in his 65 Falcon wagon. Then he contacted me about possibly running a BBF. Maybe a .030 over 429 (434). P51's as well as AFR heads are allowed. Custom pistons would be in order to get the compression up as well as a custom spec cam and very good, well planned valve train (shaft mounted rockers, titanium valves, etc.). Would there be any advantage to this option over the other? Would the extra weight of the big block negate the advantages? As has been discussed over and over there is no replacement for displacement, but we are building to the rules. 6lbs per cubic inch. Has anyone built anything similar? My estimate is 650-700 hp will be needed to be competitive. Heads up racing and most of the top cars are in the 5.70-6.0 range.
Fairlanes4ever
Fairlanes4ever

Back to top Go down

Southeast Gassers  A/Gas Comet build Empty Re: Southeast Gassers A/Gas Comet build

Post  rmcomprandy August 20th 2017, 8:39 pm

2700 pounds means something around 450 cubic inches unless it has iron heads.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on August 20th 2017, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Southeast Gassers  A/Gas Comet build Empty Re: Southeast Gassers A/Gas Comet build

Post  Fairlanes4ever August 20th 2017, 8:44 pm

Clevelands are limitedto iron and CHI 4V. CHI 3V not allowed.
Fairlanes4ever
Fairlanes4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 20th 2017, 8:51 pm

Fairlanes4ever wrote:Clevelands are limitedto iron and CHI 4V. CHI 3V not allowed.

I changed my post because Clevelands just can't get that big for a 2700 pound vehicle.
A P-51 headed 445 cubic inch BBF engine with a tunnel ram will easily make around 800 horsepower;
4.375" bore x 3.7" stroke

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairlanes4ever August 20th 2017, 8:59 pm

Minimum weight for A/Gas is 2300. Can't see getting the car down to the minimum. My gestimate was 2700 with driver would be about as good as gets. That's an interesting bore/stroke combo. Offset ground 429 crank and a barely over stock bore. What piston? Flattop or dome?
Fairlanes4ever
Fairlanes4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairlanes4ever August 20th 2017, 9:17 pm

Also no "modern" tunnel ram intakes. Must be cast style Wieand or old Offy. Carbs must be classic (gold) Holleys
Fairlanes4ever
Fairlanes4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 20th 2017, 9:31 pm

Fairlanes4ever wrote:Also no "modern" tunnel ram intakes. Must be cast style Wieand or old Offy. Carbs must be classic (gold) Holleys

Exactly ... A Weiand tunnel-Ram #1993 is still readily available with 780 or 850 carbs using side hung bowls for regular forward mounting.
Pistons ...? Whatever "custom" will get you to over 14/1 compression ratio.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairlanes4ever August 20th 2017, 9:43 pm

Thanks, Randy. That's along the same lines I was thinking along with a complimentary cam I think it would be a killer combo. In that straight axle, 4 speed Comet it's going to be a handful!!! Laughing
Fairlanes4ever
Fairlanes4ever

Back to top Go down

Southeast Gassers  A/Gas Comet build Empty Me too

Post  southcross September 15th 2017, 1:29 pm

I am collecting parts to build the same basic combo for my car to run with the Southeast Gassers.
  I have a .030 over 429 block and crank that I picked up from a machine shop. The machine work had already been done. Baked, bored, decked, new cam bearings and freeze plugs.
  The cranks has been turned and polished. I bought it for $ 500.00 . the customer never picked it up and the machine shop owner just needed to get some of his money back.
   It will be going in my Morris Minor 88 inch wheelbase car. I talked to Jimmy Huff at the race in Brainerd and he concurred that it would be a good combo.
  I need to get some pistons made and have a custom cam ground. I am going to run either P-51's or AFR's. doing research. Have had good success with AFR's in the past.
  Trying to decide whether to run the 440 Mopar rods and 460 pistons.
  I am searching for a used tunnel ram intake. Or I will just run a single carb.

southcross

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down