BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb issue

3 posters

Go down

Carb issue  Empty Carb issue

Post  jpierce55 August 21st 2017, 6:19 pm

My secondaries are sticking when no return spring is attached. It's a slight hang up. I tried removing the butterflies and took sandpaper to the edges and lightly to the base. I haven't pulled the shaft out. Never had this issue before. Should I try replacing the shaft, or just get a new baseplate? I'm not sure how much effort goes into lining up the butterflies exactly correct again?

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Carb issue  Empty Re: Carb issue

Post  norm August 21st 2017, 6:50 pm

Sure it's not hanging up on the pump cam?
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 August 21st 2017, 8:50 pm

You never want the secondaries fully closed on the seat. There is a slotted screw on the bottom side of the base plate that makes contact with the accelerator pump cam retaining bracket arm on Double Pumpers and the Vacuum Pod shaft rod attachment bracket on Vacuum Secondary models. It is Locktited from Holley. If it has been adjusted much before and not re-Loctited it can potentially un screw and loose it's setting. If the screw is missing replace it. You can hold the base plate up to the light and center the blades for the least gap or evenness. Pay attention that both transfer slots are coming out as evenly covered as possible. Do not center the throttle blades with the previously discussed bracket attached to the throttle shaft unless the stop screw is removed or backed off of the contact point fully.

PS: This is ASSUMING it's a conventional Holley Four Barrel.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 August 21st 2017, 9:15 pm

Make Model and List Number would help greatly on this deal. The Old Holley Competition Roller Linkage and others have different Hiccups.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 August 21st 2017, 9:38 pm

jpierce55 wrote:My secondaries are sticking when no return spring is attached. It's a slight hang up. I tried removing the butterflies and took sandpaper to the edges and lightly to the base. I haven't pulled the shaft out. Never had this issue before. Should I try replacing the shaft, or just get a new baseplate? I'm not sure how much effort goes into lining up the butterflies exactly correct again?

Had a almost brand new Holley DP doing almost the same thing you describe. It turned out one of the rear throttle plates was not likely tightened properly from the factory and it could move around and stick at random. It was kind of hard to catch at first as I was not expecting loose throttle blade screws on almost new carburetor.

I would check for the same deal also on all eight screws to be safe and it should always be a firm rule if you take a base plate off. It's a major vehicle safety concern about like loose lug nuts not to mention potential engine damage.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce55 August 22nd 2017, 1:28 pm

It's the coil spring on the shaft of the secondaries.

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 August 22nd 2017, 4:07 pm

jpierce55 wrote:It's the coil spring on the shaft of the secondaries.

Did it break or just come out of one of it's attachment points?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce55 August 24th 2017, 5:51 pm

It was pulling loose, it was slightly unraveled and a pulled thecwindings tighter

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down