BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for.

Post  AZFairlane on September 5th 2017, 9:54 pm

I just talked to a guy I know, who claims he built a 604 BBC with 11* Big Chief conventional heads and a single 4bbl (1250) and it made 1300HP. I tried nicely to get him to tell me the truth but he just skirted the issue. Another guy said because of the 11* it had a smaller combustion chamber, that it flowed better by not having much of a dome on the piston. I know a flattop piston flows a little better, but not enough to get that kind of performance. I asked what the heads flow and neither the builder nor the owner could tell me.
I know how I feel about this, but would like to hear from the Ford guys with all the experience here.
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for.

Post  cool40 on September 5th 2017, 11:03 pm

What's conventional about any big chief head confused but whatever. I've always had to put up with that bs here in Chevy country. I have sure put it on some of the folks claiming that kind of hp with my ford that I'm sure don't measure up. Wink they usually run to a power adder of some kind after the truth comes out. Laughing
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 on September 5th 2017, 11:07 pm

ask to see a time slip
BOSS 429

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AZFairlane on September 5th 2017, 11:13 pm

Rich, I would, but you can only talk to those guys for just a little while, then I start to get nauseous. You know what I mean.
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 on September 5th 2017, 11:17 pm

AZFairlane wrote:Rich, I would, but you can only talk to those guys for just a little while, then I start to get nauseous.  You know what I mean.

lol, I sure do.
BOSS 429

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues on September 6th 2017, 12:18 pm

Every Chebby in my class runs NOS with more CI. I run racing gas.
Moodyblues

View user profile http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxx Levell on September 6th 2017, 12:32 pm

Those guys are my favorite to run (if they have the testicular fortitude to actually bring it to the track), regardless of brand...especially in my little car. They take one look at it and think they've got a cake walk. More often than not...I come away with a white ticket against those guys...and they get their feelings hurt. It's even more satisfying if they have a beautiful/immaculate ride. It's the little things I guess Smile
Maxx Levell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick on September 6th 2017, 9:00 pm

AZFairlane wrote:     I just talked to a guy I know, who claims he built a 604 BBC with 11* Big Chief conventional heads and a single 4bbl (1250) and it made 1300HP.  I tried nicely to get him to tell me the truth but he just skirted the issue.  Another guy said because of the 11* it had a smaller combustion chamber, that it flowed better by not having much of a dome on the piston.  I know a flattop piston flows a little better, but not enough to get that kind of performance.  I asked what the heads flow and neither the builder nor the owner could tell me.
    I know how I feel about this, but would like to hear from the Ford guys with all the experience here.

Forget it. You've been listening to a couple of gasbags.
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney on September 6th 2017, 10:16 pm

I'm sure you could make that much with a c460 conventional headed 604 on someones dyno too Very Happy

wayne

wayney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT on September 7th 2017, 12:48 am

cool40 wrote:What's conventional about any big chief head confused but whatever. I've always had to put up with that bs here in Chevy country. I have sure put it on some of the folks claiming that kind of hp with my ford that I'm sure don't measure up. Wink  they usually run to a power adder of some kind after the truth comes out. Laughing

Ask any of them what "conventional" means and they'll all give you a different answer. Oh and Fords make more torque, that's why truck pullers and mud boggers use them.
68formalGT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE on September 7th 2017, 2:01 am

Meh, sounds like the same group of chebby guys that always bitch that a 351C is really a "big block". Evil or Very Mad
DILLIGASDAVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 on September 7th 2017, 8:51 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Meh, sounds like the same group of chebby guys that always bitch that a 351C is really a "big block". Evil or Very Mad

lol,ya,been in that convo a few times. just like the guys who carry a copy of their dyno sheet in their rear pocket, last week one of my guys who has a lot smaller engine put 17 feet on a guy who showed 1275hp on paper with a bbc 633ci before they ran
BOSS 429

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT on September 7th 2017, 9:25 am

^^^^And I bet the heads flowed 600scfm at .700".
68formalGT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino on September 7th 2017, 4:16 pm

But are they doing doing it for $15k?? Very Happy

BBFTorino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

convential heads

Post  Art on September 7th 2017, 4:59 pm

This conventional head stuff really gets me going. Guys claim conventional heads. To me conventional means what came from the factory not some after market head... After they have been reworked and many $$s spent what is conventional about them..

Art

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 on September 7th 2017, 11:48 pm

Art wrote:This conventional head stuff really gets me going. Guys claim conventional heads. To me conventional means what came from the factory not some after market head... After they have been reworked and many $$s spent what is conventional about them..

conventional head BBC is the org port placement,right next to each other, if the ports are spaced like a 429, then its called non conv.

BOSS 429

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT on September 8th 2017, 12:52 am

Rich, didn't deviation from factory valve angles come into the "conventional head" discussion? Mud Racers Association had a dissuction on their forum about "conventional" and the C460 head being disallowed but the A460 head being allowed in super stock. Of course the Chevy guys wanted the A's to be thrown out too.
68formalGT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 on September 8th 2017, 7:29 am

BBFTorino wrote:But are they doing doing it for $15k?? Very Happy

That's some funny shit right their!
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 on September 8th 2017, 9:05 am

68formalGT wrote:Rich, didn't deviation from factory valve angles come into the "conventional head" discussion? Mud Racers Association had a dissuction on their forum about "conventional" and the C460 head being disallowed but the A460 head being allowed in super stock. Of course the Chevy guys wanted the A's to be thrown out too.

Just say as we do, there is no conv ( by their terms used) FORD HEAD, and look at their faces.  Most of them misunderstand all of this .
BOSS 429

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT on September 9th 2017, 9:50 am

BOSS 429 wrote:
68formalGT wrote:Rich, didn't deviation from factory valve angles come into the "conventional head" discussion? Mud Racers Association had a dissuction on their forum about "conventional" and the C460 head being disallowed but the A460 head being allowed in super stock. Of course the Chevy guys wanted the A's to be thrown out too.

Just say as we do, there is no conv ( by their terms used)  FORD HEAD, and look at their faces.  Most of them misunderstand all of this .

We have a 23° max angle rule in our super stock class, I like to ask them how that applies to Fords Smile
68formalGT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum