BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for.

+11
Art
BBFTorino
DILLIGASDAVE
68formalGT
wayney
maverick
Maxx Levell
Moodyblues
BOSS 429
cool40
AZFairlane
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for. Empty BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for.

Post  AZFairlane September 5th 2017, 9:54 pm

I just talked to a guy I know, who claims he built a 604 BBC with 11* Big Chief conventional heads and a single 4bbl (1250) and it made 1300HP. I tried nicely to get him to tell me the truth but he just skirted the issue. Another guy said because of the 11* it had a smaller combustion chamber, that it flowed better by not having much of a dome on the piston. I know a flattop piston flows a little better, but not enough to get that kind of performance. I asked what the heads flow and neither the builder nor the owner could tell me.
I know how I feel about this, but would like to hear from the Ford guys with all the experience here.
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for. Empty Re: BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for.

Post  cool40 September 5th 2017, 11:03 pm

What's conventional about any big chief head confused but whatever. I've always had to put up with that bs here in Chevy country. I have sure put it on some of the folks claiming that kind of hp with my ford that I'm sure don't measure up. Wink they usually run to a power adder of some kind after the truth comes out. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for. Empty Re: BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for.

Post  BOSS 429 September 5th 2017, 11:07 pm

ask to see a time slip
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  AZFairlane September 5th 2017, 11:13 pm

Rich, I would, but you can only talk to those guys for just a little while, then I start to get nauseous. You know what I mean.
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 5th 2017, 11:17 pm

AZFairlane wrote:Rich, I would, but you can only talk to those guys for just a little while, then I start to get nauseous.  You know what I mean.

lol, I sure do.
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues September 6th 2017, 12:18 pm

Every Chebby in my class runs NOS with more CI. I run racing gas.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxx Levell September 6th 2017, 12:32 pm

Those guys are my favorite to run (if they have the testicular fortitude to actually bring it to the track), regardless of brand...especially in my little car. They take one look at it and think they've got a cake walk. More often than not...I come away with a white ticket against those guys...and they get their feelings hurt. It's even more satisfying if they have a beautiful/immaculate ride. It's the little things I guess Smile
Maxx Levell
Maxx Levell

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 6th 2017, 9:00 pm

AZFairlane wrote:     I just talked to a guy I know, who claims he built a 604 BBC with 11* Big Chief conventional heads and a single 4bbl (1250) and it made 1300HP.  I tried nicely to get him to tell me the truth but he just skirted the issue.  Another guy said because of the 11* it had a smaller combustion chamber, that it flowed better by not having much of a dome on the piston.  I know a flattop piston flows a little better, but not enough to get that kind of performance.  I asked what the heads flow and neither the builder nor the owner could tell me.
    I know how I feel about this, but would like to hear from the Ford guys with all the experience here.

Forget it. You've been listening to a couple of gasbags.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney September 6th 2017, 10:16 pm

I'm sure you could make that much with a c460 conventional headed 604 on someones dyno too Very Happy

wayne

wayney

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT September 7th 2017, 12:48 am

cool40 wrote:What's conventional about any big chief head confused but whatever. I've always had to put up with that bs here in Chevy country. I have sure put it on some of the folks claiming that kind of hp with my ford that I'm sure don't measure up. Wink  they usually run to a power adder of some kind after the truth comes out. Laughing

Ask any of them what "conventional" means and they'll all give you a different answer. Oh and Fords make more torque, that's why truck pullers and mud boggers use them.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 7th 2017, 2:01 am

Meh, sounds like the same group of chebby guys that always bitch that a 351C is really a "big block". Evil or Very Mad
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 7th 2017, 8:51 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Meh, sounds like the same group of chebby guys that always bitch that a 351C is really a "big block". Evil or Very Mad

lol,ya,been in that convo a few times. just like the guys who carry a copy of their dyno sheet in their rear pocket, last week one of my guys who has a lot smaller engine put 17 feet on a guy who showed 1275hp on paper with a bbc 633ci before they ran
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT September 7th 2017, 9:25 am

^^^^And I bet the heads flowed 600scfm at .700".
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino September 7th 2017, 4:16 pm

But are they doing doing it for $15k?? Very Happy

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

BBC makes more HP than a BBF could ever hope for. Empty convential heads

Post  Art September 7th 2017, 4:59 pm

This conventional head stuff really gets me going. Guys claim conventional heads. To me conventional means what came from the factory not some after market head... After they have been reworked and many $$s spent what is conventional about them..

Art

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 7th 2017, 11:48 pm

Art wrote:This conventional head stuff really gets me going. Guys claim conventional heads. To me conventional means what came from the factory not some after market head... After they have been reworked and many $$s spent what is conventional about them..

conventional head BBC is the org port placement,right next to each other, if the ports are spaced like a 429, then its called non conv.

BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT September 8th 2017, 12:52 am

Rich, didn't deviation from factory valve angles come into the "conventional head" discussion? Mud Racers Association had a dissuction on their forum about "conventional" and the C460 head being disallowed but the A460 head being allowed in super stock. Of course the Chevy guys wanted the A's to be thrown out too.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 8th 2017, 7:29 am

BBFTorino wrote:But are they doing doing it for $15k?? Very Happy

That's some funny shit right their!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 8th 2017, 9:05 am

68formalGT wrote:Rich, didn't deviation from factory valve angles come into the "conventional head" discussion? Mud Racers Association had a dissuction on their forum about "conventional" and the C460 head being disallowed but the A460 head being allowed in super stock. Of course the Chevy guys wanted the A's to be thrown out too.

Just say as we do, there is no conv ( by their terms used) FORD HEAD, and look at their faces.  Most of them misunderstand all of this .
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT September 9th 2017, 9:50 am

BOSS 429 wrote:
68formalGT wrote:Rich, didn't deviation from factory valve angles come into the "conventional head" discussion? Mud Racers Association had a dissuction on their forum about "conventional" and the C460 head being disallowed but the A460 head being allowed in super stock. Of course the Chevy guys wanted the A's to be thrown out too.

Just say as we do, there is no conv ( by their terms used)  FORD HEAD, and look at their faces.  Most of them misunderstand all of this .

We have a 23° max angle rule in our super stock class, I like to ask them how that applies to Fords Smile
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 12th 2017, 11:41 am

Moodyblues wrote:Every Chebby in my class runs NOS with more CI.  I run racing gas.  

Russ. you need to tell them about the BBC guy that came to you talking crap and wanted to run this bad azz Ford he had heard so much about........ Laughing Laughing
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 12th 2017, 10:21 pm

IDT-572 wrote:
Moodyblues wrote:Every Chebby in my class runs NOS with more CI.  I run racing gas.  

Russ. you need to tell them about the BBC guy that came to you talking crap and wanted to run this bad azz Ford he had heard so much about........ Laughing Laughing

Sounds like a story i and many others would probably like to hear,come on Russ let's here it!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 12th 2017, 10:31 pm

He said he was going to, hang on
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues October 12th 2017, 10:47 pm

Few weeks ago I was running a 5.30 index race and got treed in the first round.....bummer.

So this guy running a 69 Camero with a 598 and two dommys came over to my trailer and said he wanted to see this bad Ford he had heard about.  Short conversation after he looked my car over and asked if I wanted to run heads up for $100.  I said sure, but let's go $500.  He said ok and after the next Rd we were called to staging.  I went down and was buckled in ready to go.................well I waited and waited and nothing.  Staging lanes guy came over to my car and said he decided not to run.......I said what happened?   He said who know but I would go get my money.  I said yea and I headed back to the trailer, got out and this guy goes by leaving in his truck and trailer.   I think he chickened out and didn't want to get embarrassed by. 572 BBF or maybe he didn't have $500.....

BBC for you.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 13th 2017, 12:09 am

confused something bad must have happened.......we all know them 598 BBC's make 1200 hp right out the box. You just got lucky Russ...... Laughing
Chevy
Pussy
Chevy
Pussy
affraid
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next