BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oiling modifications... and how much power?

+30
Mike R
68galaxie
stanger68
Hardy
windsor
DILLIGASDAVE
FalconEh
cool40
6t6mustang
Mark Miller
cletus66
Paul Kane
BBFTorino
jbozzelle
QtrWarrior
Carl
kjett
D. Sea
BigRigTech
BOSS 429
Curt
Doug Rahn
5pointslow
dfree383
Dave De
Bosskk1786
Lem Evans
DanH
rmcomprandy
nickpohlaandp
34 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 4 Empty Re: Oiling modifications... and how much power?

Post  5pointslow October 12th 2017, 12:36 pm

7900$ dont by shit now a days
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 4 Empty Re: Oiling modifications... and how much power?

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 12:46 pm

That takes the fun out of it. Anyone can buy an engine already built. I prefer to build my own.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane October 12th 2017, 12:58 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:1. In regard to the two bolt mains, just how strong are they?  
Strong enough to sustain 4-figure hp depending on what you are building and if you know what you are doing.  If you don't, then I suggest you 4-bolt the block.

nickpohlaandp wrote:2. ...One thing that someone told me...is to connect the passage right above where the mechanical fuel pump would mount to the passage at the rear of the block...I'm not opposed to doing that, but the person who suggested it just said "do it" without giving any reason why.
Don't do it.  The external line mod originates with the Cleveland engine block which has a near-identical oil system as the 460, but not an exactly identical oiling system as the 460.  The external line idea came about because it addresses a "shortcoming" of the Cleveland's oil system.  But that shortcoming doesn't exist in the 460's oiling system so there's nothing to address there, and the external line just creates an open loop in the oiling system.

Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 1:02 pm

Paul Kane wrote:...the external line just creates an open loop in the oiling system.

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure because I'm new to Fords. Seems to me you'd be pressurizing a pressure port with a pressure port. I was failing to see the advantage. I've heard of using restrictors in various places, but that was the first time I'd heard of running a line from the front of the block to the back. I'm open to anything that will increase longevity, but that didn't make sense to me. Thanks for clarifying.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow October 12th 2017, 1:27 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:

That takes the fun out of it. Anyone can buy an engine already built. I prefer to build my own.

takes the fun out of what spending double to triple lol .....i guess

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 2:55 pm

5pointslow wrote:...takes the fun out of what spending double to triple lol .....i guess

Takes the fun out of when someone sees the car run and goes "HOLY SHIT! Who built that?!" and you get to say, "I did"

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow October 12th 2017, 4:52 pm

To each there own , I'm more worried about going racing than impressing someone else over who built my engine that's just me.

I also didnt build my engine or my transmission
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 12th 2017, 6:12 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:Welcome to the forum Nick!
Have you looked at the new BBF heads from AFR??.....they seem to be quite promising in the power dept.

Haha! Maybe I should shut my mouth and look into things a bit before I spout off. The AFR Bullit heads flow just as well as the Trick Flow A460 340's and they only have a 0.25" raised exhaust port vs. Trick Flows 1.500" raised exhaust. That would certainly make packaging easier... and the price is the same for either set. Maybe when I'm ready I should call both companies and see if either will give me a military discount! That could be a deciding factor.

There may be published info that would lead you to that illusion but, none of the ~ CJ/SCJ castings will out flow the TFS A460 units.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 October 12th 2017, 9:40 pm

5pointslow wrote:To each there own , I'm more worried about going racing than impressing someone else over who built my engine that's just me.

I agree. I have heretofore built all of my junk, but I'm having my neighbors at E.B. Porting screw together all the parts that Lem has kindly sent me over the last few years...

It's gonna idle like a Crown Vic and rev like a chainsaw... Twisted Evil
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 12th 2017, 10:16 pm

IIRC,i think he wants to build something that runs on pump gas.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 10:34 pm

5pointslow wrote:To each there own , I'm more worried about going racing than impressing someone else over who built my engine that's just me.

Hey man, it's all good. I hope you didn't take that as me being condescending, because that's not how I intended it to come across. I'll never race this car, and if I was an active racer I'd probably have a trusted shop building my engines for me too. I can build a badass engine, but I'll be the first to tell you I certainly would never win any engine masters challenge for speed. I just really, truly enjoy building engines.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 10:48 pm

Lem Evans wrote:There may be published info that would lead you to that illusion but, none of the ~ CJ/SCJ castings will out flow the TFS A460 units.

I can only go off of the manufacturers published flow information and port area. I'm not calling Trick Flow bad heads by any means, I've purchased a few sets of Trick Flow in the past. Their 2V heads for mod motors are awesome. The only thing I have bad to say about Trick Flow is they tend to embellish their numbers. You've got to read the fine print to see it. The flow numbers for the A460 340 heads are given as flowed at 28" on a 4.500" bore. AFR posts their numbers (I'm referring to the Bullitt 315's) as flowed at 28" on a 4.380" bore. I can't take my factory 460 block to 4.500, so I'm left wondering what the A460's flow on a more realistic bore, like 4.390" or 4.420". I think it's safe to assume the Trick Flow #'s would drop slightly and the AFR would at least stay the same, if not get a little better.

For all-out race I think it's hard to argue against the Trick Flow would be a better head, but for what I'm doing, I think the AFR might actually deliver a better power curve.

If I knew how to post pictures I'd post the flow number up side by side... I made a spreadsheet earlier today of a bunch of the standard Aluminum aftermarket heads... because I'm a nerd too.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 10:49 pm

cletus66 wrote:It's gonna idle like a Crown Vic and rev like a chainsaw... Twisted Evil

Sounds like fun!!!

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 10:50 pm

Mark Miller wrote:IIRC,i think he wants to build something that runs on pump gas.

You are correct sir! 10.5:1 for the pump gas special.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  6t6mustang October 12th 2017, 11:18 pm

I am finishing my 557 short block currenty, the only oil mod i did was drill the dizzy gear hole. Radiusing the filter pad and drilling the feed and supply to/from is normal prep on all ford builds i do? I am torn between afr and p51 heads. Wanting to keep the tunnel ram i have and try to use it with the afr heads. it looks like it may actually be close to the big afr opening. I would already have p51s if they were available. Was told 4 months out..
If you can get past randys lovely attitude he is a wealth of knowledge, dfree is usually an ass, lem is good people and has good deals on parts. I wish the site had more traffic, it may have something to do with the personalities of the natives just sayin..
6t6mustang
6t6mustang

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 12th 2017, 11:24 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:There may be published info that would lead you to that illusion but, none of the ~ CJ/SCJ castings will out flow the TFS A460 units.

I can only go off of the manufacturers published flow information and port area. I'm not calling Trick Flow bad heads by any means, I've purchased a few sets of Trick Flow in the past. Their 2V heads for mod motors are awesome. The only thing I have bad to say about Trick Flow is they tend to embellish their numbers. You've got to read the fine print to see it. The flow numbers for the A460 340 heads are given as flowed at 28" on a 4.500" bore. AFR posts their numbers (I'm referring to the Bullitt 315's) as flowed at 28" on a 4.380" bore. I can't take my factory 460 block to 4.500, so I'm left wondering what the A460's flow on a more realistic bore, like 4.390" or 4.420". I think it's safe to assume the Trick Flow #'s would drop slightly and the AFR would at least stay the same, if not get a little better.

For all-out race I think it's hard to argue against the Trick Flow would be a better head, but for what I'm doing, I think the AFR might actually deliver a better power curve.

If I knew how to post pictures I'd post the flow number up side by side... I made a spreadsheet earlier today of a bunch of the standard Aluminum aftermarket heads... because I'm a nerd too.

Damn,,,I've already told you that published stuff ain't real.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 12th 2017, 11:59 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Damn,,,I've already told you that published stuff ain't real.

Alright partner, the way I see it there's only one way to settle this. I'm callin' you out. You buy one of each cylinder head and I'll pay to have them flow tested at an independent, third party facility. If I'm right, I get to keep the heads. If you're right, I'll buy you a nice steak dinner.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 13th 2017, 12:01 am

Lem Evans wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:

Damn,,,I've already told you that published stuff ain't real.
is that kinda like "fake news"? Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino October 13th 2017, 12:33 am

Nick, do you have any pics of your buddy's Torino Cobra??

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh October 13th 2017, 1:21 am

6t6mustang wrote:I am finishing my 557 short block currenty, the only oil mod i did was drill the dizzy gear hole. Radiusing the filter pad and drilling the feed and supply to/from is normal prep on all ford builds i do? I am torn between afr and p51 heads. Wanting to keep the tunnel ram i have and try to use it with the afr heads. it looks like it may actually be close to the big afr opening. I would already have p51s if they were available. Was told 4 months out..
If you can get past randys lovely attitude he is a wealth of knowledge, dfree is usually an ass, lem is good people and has good deals on parts. I wish the site had more traffic,  it may have something to do with the personalities of the natives just sayin..

Dfree has a sense of humor, but is also a wealth of knowledge too...but the camels:scratch:

All knowledgeable, and good people.

I think the heads in question all have a viable place on the street/track, I do not remember Poorcomp being mentioned.

study Make what you want, you already know the path you want to follow, my problem is changing the path too much drunken
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE October 13th 2017, 2:25 am

If the primary #1 goal is a truly "streetable" pump gas combo, (that might only see the strip once in a blue moon), isn't all this kinda over kill? Wouldn't it be better to just build a milder stroker combo with a lower compression head with stock valve angles (like factory D3 heads) for decent street manners. And then just use nitrous to give it some extra balls when at the track?

Jus'sayin, sometimes less is "more gooder".
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 13th 2017, 9:10 am

nickpohlaandp wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:Damn,,,I've already told you that published stuff ain't real.

Alright partner, the way I see it there's only one way to settle this. I'm callin' you out. You buy one of each cylinder head and I'll pay to have them flow tested at an independent, third party facility. If I'm right, I get to keep the heads. If you're right, I'll buy you a nice steak dinner.

I've already seen all the mentioned heads flowed on a local bench and I have owned all of the mentioned heads......so go call someone else out. So you don't have to pay for anything. I am offering you direct observation not opinion.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow October 13th 2017, 9:46 am

you stated in the start of your thread you are new to BBF's ? correct ?
why are you challenging a guy to a bet or call out over somthing he deals with on a regular basis for a living , when you stated your new to these engines ?

just call one of the guys that builds or deals with parts on here , and talk and get a game plan . Your going to get multiple opinions on here or other sites and at the end of the day from how im judging this thread you are going to do whats in your mind that you want to do at the end of the day , i could be wrong though wouldnt be the first
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 13th 2017, 11:21 am

BBFTorino wrote:Nick, do you have any pics of your buddy's Torino Cobra??

Yes I do. I'll have to get them uploaded

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 13th 2017, 11:22 am

5pointslow wrote:you stated in the start of your thread you are new to BBF's ? correct ?
why are you challenging a guy to a bet or call out over somthing he deals with on a regular basis for a living , when you stated your new to these engines ?

just call one of the guys that builds or deals with parts on here , and talk and get a game plan . Your going to get multiple opinions on here or other sites and at the end of the day from how im judging this thread you are going to do whats in your mind that you want to do at the end of the day , i could be wrong though wouldnt be the first

I figured from the sheer absurdity of what I was stating it would be obvious I was making a joke.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next