Timing bounce

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Timing bounce

Post  Tore on November 11th 2017, 10:45 pm

What causes Timing Bounce. I see I have some total timing bounce . I have an MSD Dist with light springs in it. A Light Blue and a thin silver.
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore
avatar
Tore

Posts : 782
Join date : 2009-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  rmcomprandy on November 12th 2017, 12:26 am

Tore wrote:What causes Timing Bounce.  I see I have some total timing bounce . I have an MSD Dist with light springs in it.  A Light Blue and a thin silver.
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

Timing usually does not bounce upon acceleration or deceleration but, steady state has all the hysteresis of the timing set and the backlash of the distributor gears bouncing back and forth.

That bouncing is usually what is experienced when viewing ignition timing. Steady ignition timing being present is the main benefit of a crank triggered ignition.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4769
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  BBFTorino on November 12th 2017, 3:14 am

Loose or sloppy timing chain will do it.

BBFTorino

Posts : 379
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  BOSS 429 on November 12th 2017, 9:51 am

worn gear, bad coil, loose shaft in dist. loose chain,bad wire, bad plug,or a short can all do this
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2142
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  pmrphil on November 12th 2017, 9:58 am

wear on the cam retaining thrust plate, and distributor gear wear are both common factors

pmrphil

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-10-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  Lem Evans on November 12th 2017, 11:49 am

Tore wrote:What causes Timing Bounce.  I see I have some total timing bounce . I have an MSD Dist with light springs in it.  A Light Blue and a thin silver.
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

At what RPM?

Lem Evans

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  norm on November 12th 2017, 2:47 pm

Do you have a MSD ignition box too? Is the timing light compatible with a MSD? Incompatible timing lights can make the light jump around.
avatar
norm

Posts : 160
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  Tore on November 12th 2017, 3:15 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Tore wrote:What causes Timing Bounce.  I see I have some total timing bounce . I have an MSD Dist with light springs in it.  A Light Blue and a thin silver.
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

At what RPM?
I really don't know what RPM as I was setting total timing and see it when I am at a steady RPM Not under load.

Tore
avatar
Tore

Posts : 782
Join date : 2009-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  Tore on November 12th 2017, 3:16 pm

norm wrote:Do you have a MSD ignition box too? Is the timing light compatible with a MSD? Incompatible timing lights can make the light jump around.

I have a Summit Ign box its the better of the two Summit sells.
I never knew a Timing light wasn't compatible with any ign.

Tore
avatar
Tore

Posts : 782
Join date : 2009-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  FalconEh on November 12th 2017, 5:12 pm

Yes, timing light can be affected by hi energy ignitions, msd sells a timing light. If you are using the magnetic pickup make sure you twist the wires and cover with loom as they can/will arc, you can check if that is the issue by using the second trigger wire instead of the magnetic (do not use both) and see if the problem goes away. It should be all in around 2750 with those springs and if you are in that range it could be fluttering with the rpm between 2500-2750 as that is where the springs will give in.
avatar
FalconEh

Posts : 1380
Join date : 2014-08-21
Location : on the blacktop or in the mountains ????

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  Dave De on November 13th 2017, 7:08 pm

FalconEh wrote:Yes, timing light can be affected by hi energy ignitions, msd sells a timing light. If you are using the magnetic pickup make sure you twist the wires and cover with loom as they can/will arc, you can check if that is the issue by using the second trigger wire instead of the magnetic (do not use both) and see if the problem goes away. It should be all in around 2750 with those springs and if you are in that range it could be fluttering with the rpm between 2500-2750 as that is where the springs will give in.

All these are possible causes.
I'm seeing my chains stretch too much after 2 years using the FRPP chain set. Is there something better?
avatar
Dave De

Posts : 489
Join date : 2011-05-27
Location : Utica, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  Lem Evans on November 13th 2017, 9:01 pm

Tore wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Tore wrote:What causes Timing Bounce.  I see I have some total timing bounce . I have an MSD Dist with light springs in it.  A Light Blue and a thin silver.
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

At what RPM?
I really don't know what RPM as I was setting total timing and see it when I am at a steady RPM Not under load.

Tore

No more that you have ran  the engine I'd hate to think that it was a super sloppy timing chain.

I'd install both of the light silver springs AND the black bushing. Make sure the advance mechanism is smooth and free while it's in your hands. It may not be THE answer but, it'll be free and you'll know where not to look if it does not help.

Lem Evans

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  pmrphil on November 14th 2017, 9:20 am

Probably should check the RPM at which the timing was set at - might just not be at full advance yet. I'd start there.

pmrphil

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-10-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timing bounce

Post  Tore on November 14th 2017, 5:48 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Tore wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Tore wrote:What causes Timing Bounce.  I see I have some total timing bounce . I have an MSD Dist with light springs in it.  A Light Blue and a thin silver.
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

At what RPM?
I really don't know what RPM as I was setting total timing and see it when I am at a steady RPM Not under load.

Tore

No more that you have ran  the engine I'd hate to think that it was a super sloppy timing chain.

I'd install both of the light silver springs AND the black bushing. Make sure the advance mechanism is smooth and free while it's in your hands. It may not be THE answer but, it'll be free and you'll know where not to look if it does not help.


Thanks Lem I will try that.
avatar
Tore

Posts : 782
Join date : 2009-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum