BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

521 Ahead build

+5
away
cool40
dfree383
Mark Miller
cobrakid8
9 posters

Go down

521 Ahead build Empty 521 Ahead build

Post  cobrakid8 December 13th 2017, 1:44 pm

Well, i am moving some things over from the previous topic that was for the old chevy motor i traded for this new motor. I will pull some of it apart to make sure what i got is correct but this is what I was told about the motor.

70 model 460 block bored to 4.47
has a Ford Motorsports stroker crank 4.15
GRP aluminum rods with ARP bolts
Fluidamper harmonic balancer
Has new not yet installed electric water pump
Diamond pistons
Old TFS A-heads(not sure on what valves or anything yet, he is supposed to call me back tonight to give me that information from the builder) with TFS stud girdle
Old Ford Motorsports intake along with ProSystem 1150 gas carb
Cam supposedly is a Lunati cam with 720 something lift and 110 lobe sep. I found a few on lunati's site it could be.
Chevy headers from the old motor that hopefully i can make work without to much work
Accel distributor part #A59205

cobrakid8 wrote:521 Ahead build Img_0017
521 Ahead build Img_0018
521 Ahead build Img_0019
521 Ahead build Img_0020
521 Ahead build Img_0021
521 Ahead build Img_0022
521 Ahead build Img_0023

This is all I have for now, also has a new ultra bell for BB Ford to Power-glide. I will replace with MSD distributor, prob sell carb to go to alcohol and need a race pan as it's a stock rear sump on it for now. Hopefully it will be ready by march. Son is very excited and that's what means the most.

Last edited by cobrakid8 on March 1st 2018, 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

521 Ahead build Empty Re: 521 Ahead build

Post  Mark Miller December 14th 2017, 1:25 am

Is the block filled with that big of bore?

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 December 14th 2017, 7:56 am

Mark, it is half filled, son of a gun is heavy lol. Now I need to know what pan to use for dragster that will clear the 4.5 stroker crank that won't cost me a fortune.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 14th 2017, 8:24 am

I'd do some ignition upgrading
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 December 14th 2017, 10:38 am

i will for sure put a MSD dist in as the rest of the car is all MSD and the water pump on it is coming off for the new one he gave me that wasnt put on yet.

these are what i need to finish it and hopefully be ready to race:
midplate changed over for BBF
race oil pan for dragster and stroker crank
MSD dist(not sure which one to get yet)
scoop tray for single dominator

not sure if i will change to alky from gas or not, but either way i will need a fuel pump for either

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 December 14th 2017, 7:38 pm

Went over to put the motor on stand and I think the heads are the Ford Motorports heads instead of TFs. I say that because the AA thing on the intake is also inside the head when I took the valve cover off.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 December 15th 2017, 1:42 pm

Looks like the heads have a nice jomar girdle with brand new 1.7 Comp Cam rockers and new springs. Still haven't heard back from him on what size valves the heads have or if they have been ported before. I assume they have since they ran 4.80's on top of a 588 in a tube chassis fox body at 2400-2500lbs N/A, but have not tore into the engine to check anything yet. Still trying to wrap my head around the cam. I dont think its a custom grind and he said 720 lift with 110 lobe sep(something like 40340913 duration @.050 270/276, valve lift 722, LSA,ICL 110/104), seems really small to me, but he said it was to build something that wouldnt take much maintenance, but still get some power out of it. Being on a digger I guess it doesnt have to have a ton of power, especially to slow it down throttle stop to run 5.70, but again it seems like a really small cam for such big heads. ALso what are the biggest differences between the early FMS A460 head and the early TFS A460 head? I read up on it before but cannot find the write up from i think Uncle Charlie about them. Thanks, Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 December 17th 2017, 12:39 pm

Also found out today the heads have 2.30 intake titanium valves and 1.90 exhaust valves, little bit of port work was done to the motor before the guy that I got them from had them.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 17th 2017, 9:55 pm

The early A460 Motorsports needed lots of port work. The tfs idk much about but basically they're all the same with chamber difference and such. Any oil pan will work as far as crank clearance. Nice look'n piece you got! Cool
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 December 17th 2017, 11:01 pm

Thanks, not sure how much port work was done, I just hope it's enough to get this motor to run 5.0's or so, really don't want to run slower than the 477 I just got rid of. I am hoping to get a dragster pan for the motor with some windage and stuff in it, pan on it looks like a truck pan. I just hope the cam is enough and that's I don't have to change it and end Up having to change everything else, guess we shall see.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 December 29th 2017, 11:00 am

I have a MSD 8580 distributor with bronze gear on the way along with a powermaster starter. So i still need a better oil pan and carb tray along with a fuel pump and i am staying with running the motor on gas for now. hopefully i can get everything in along with sending my mi-plate down to keith to get it changed over and ready to run here soon.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 January 5th 2018, 4:27 pm

Has anyone used the Jeff Johnson 2-1000 oil pan in a dragster with a rear sump pickup? Found a nice used once I was thinking of trying to buy. Thanks!

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  away March 1st 2018, 12:22 pm

If I am reading this right 4.5 X 4.5 is not a 521 CI engine.
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 March 1st 2018, 1:34 pm

away wrote:If I am reading this right 4.5 X 4.5 is not a 521 CI engine.

Sorry I mean really to update the entire thread. I was lied too and after measuring it is 4.15 stroke on crank and 4.47 on bore. Getting closer to having this thing ready to race.

Last edited by cobrakid8 on March 1st 2018, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  Albert Clark March 1st 2018, 2:28 pm

cobrakid8 wrote:

Sorry I mean really to update the entire thread. I was lied too and after measuring it is 4.15 stroke on crank and 4.97 on bore. Getting closer to having this thing ready to race.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz something aint right you are saying this engine has almost a 5 inch bore? Shocked maybe you should actually tear this thing down and get one story and not the last 20 or so you have posted, and actually use some proper Mic's not a worn out yard stick...

just sayin

Albert

Albert Clark

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 1st 2018, 3:27 pm

Albert Clark wrote:
cobrakid8 wrote:

Sorry I mean really to update the entire thread. I was lied too and after measuring it is 4.15 stroke on crank and 4.97 on bore. Getting closer to having this thing ready to race.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  something aint right you are saying this engine has almost a 5 inch bore? Shocked  maybe you should actually tear this thing down and get one story and not the last 20 or so you have posted, and actually use some proper Mic's not a worn out yard stick...

just sayin

Albert

Isnt there a nicer way of saying things Mr. Albert ?

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 March 1st 2018, 3:34 pm

Albert Clark wrote:
cobrakid8 wrote:

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  something aint right you are saying this engine has almost a 5 inch bore? Shocked  maybe you should actually tear this thing down and get one story and not the last 20 or so you have posted, and actually use some proper Mic's not a worn out yard stick...

just sayin

Albert

sorry albert, i am trying to work and trying to answer the guy above. it is 4.470 bore, so i was wrong before on this entire thread, but i got the number off and Arias found the work order for the custom pistons. its a 4.47 bore by 4.15 stroke and 521CID

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 1st 2018, 8:38 pm

cobrakid8 wrote:i will for sure put a MSD dist in as the rest of the car is all MSD and the water pump on it is coming off for the new one he gave me that wasnt put on yet.

not sure if i will change to alky from gas or not, but either way i will need a fuel pump for either

That Ford Racing distributor is one of the best anywhere within the marketplace. It came only on crate motors and was a combined effort among Ford, Accel and Mallory engineers. Hard to find parts though and the vacuum can looks bent.

CANTON makes a very good full length steel oil pan for this.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 March 1st 2018, 10:57 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
cobrakid8 wrote:i will for sure put a MSD dist in as the rest of the car is all MSD and the water pump on it is coming off for the new one he gave me that wasnt put on yet.

That Ford Racing distributor is one of the best anywhere within the marketplace. It came only on crate motors and was a combined effort among Ford, Accel and Mallory engineers. Hard to find parts though and the vacuum can looks bent.

CANTON makes a very good full length steel oil pan for this.

Thanks randy, I got aMSD I am hoping to put in Saturday and bought a Oakley dragster pan from Dave. Hoping to start getting it put back together Saturday after taking it apart and checking everything. Guess that dist will stay in the garage until we get a street built 460 put together for my dads old truck.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 May 20th 2018, 6:42 pm

We have ran into problems after problems, hoping to get this thing running soon as Tyler’s job(soccer ref) takes a month and half off before restarting. Replaced the 1.7 rockers with some 1.73, hopefully will measure pushrods this week and be ready to get this thing started!

521 Ahead build 0ce3ad10
521 Ahead build D4e38c10

Don’t have any pics yet of the scoop setup and carb on it. Any ideas on where to start with this motor as far as carb jets? It is on racing gas, think VP 110 or 112 and has a Holley 1050.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

521 Ahead build Empty Updated 6/15/18

Post  cobrakid8 June 16th 2018, 1:39 pm

Took the dragster out last night, pretty much entire night was a wasted trip except we know we have bugs to work out. Never made a full pass all night. Best 60ft was like a 1.33 and best time was a 6.85. Our first problems were the car was nevertheless shifting, come to find out the shift had been set at 7k, changed that down to 4800 chip and it finally started to shift, but the transbrake was letting the car roll every time it was set at the light, stage, push the button and it would roll a foot before it was stop the car and than come up on the RPM's. Every pass it would get to the top end and pretty much run out of gas and coast through the 1/8. We were just trying to break the new motor in anyways. So we are hoping that we can more tune on it next time as it was absolutely terrible last night with being 90's and high humidity so it was miserable. It's running V112, 8 lbs of fuel pressure and 94 square in the carb. We turned it up to 10lbs of pressure and it didn't make any difference, so next time we will start with 98 jets and see if the squirters are big enough also.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie June 18th 2018, 9:19 am

What size needle and seats does the carb have?
10 lbs fuel pressure is way too high - you have an issue elsewhere.

1150 I am assuming?

Glad you finally got it out!
68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 June 18th 2018, 10:00 am

68galaxie wrote:What size needle and seats does the carb have?
10 lbs fuel pressure is way too high - you have an issue elsewhere.

1150 I am assuming?

Glad you finally got it out!

Not sure on needle and seat yet, it's a 1050 holley dominator, I need to grab a rebuild kit for it and some other things.

10lbs is what we ended up with, it was at 8 for the first 2 runs but was breaking up at the top end, so we turned it up to that 10. It's a really easy regulator, so with just a twist i can turn it down to 7 which i think is what we will try next time we take it out. Also, I had never had this happen before, but I am going to buy some new poly locks this week from Jomar, as the middle nut inside the poly lock loosened up after the first pass and luckily didnt ruin a rocker(we ran it without the girdle so we could come right back after the first pass and re-check the lash), the poly locks loosened on the 1exhaust and 5intake, so I am guessing I need new polylocks. Although it didnt have a problem after we put the girdle on after pass 1, still not sure i trust them not to loosen up again. I just hate we weren't able to put Tyler in to make a few passes and get used to it, but with so many problems I wanted someone in there in case anything was to happen with a drop in oil pressure etc.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum