BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinion: Pro Stock is dead for us Ford Folks

+13
maverick
BOSS 429
dr's wife racing
AZFairlane
BigBlockRanger
Doug Rahn
DILLIGASDAVE
stanger68
69F100
cool40
rmcomprandy
dfree383
Moodyblues
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Opinion:  Pro Stock is dead for us Ford Folks - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinion: Pro Stock is dead for us Ford Folks

Post  BBFTorino December 30th 2017, 3:22 am

BOSS 429 wrote:NHRA got away from the diff C.I. per weight rules because it was a nightmare for them to police.thats when they said ok, 2350 500ci.

I read somewhere that it was because of the dominance of the 351 Cleveland engine that they kept putting weight on to keep Chevy's competitive. At that time, they had a 366" cu. in. limit in effect. The SBC was non-competitive against the 351 C....so the Chevy guys were using de-stroked big blocks (365" inches) to take advantage of the large canted valve heads.
When NHRA opened them up to 500 cubic inch limits, they were sure that a 429CJ head, or 'regular' 429/460 head would be down on power compared to a big square port Chevy head....and they would have been correct. But they never bargained for the Ford racers going straight to the Boss 429 heads!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Opinion:  Pro Stock is dead for us Ford Folks - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinion: Pro Stock is dead for us Ford Folks

Post  rmk57 December 30th 2017, 9:17 pm

Not only was it C/I per weight rule there was also a wheelbase rule to keep Mustang 2's and Pintos from being competitive. That is why you saw 6 year old 1970 Mustang's and a 4 door Maverick stealing the show. I bet the NHRA was pissed when they showed up.

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 31st 2017, 4:40 am

Yes, the Fairmont was the car Bob used to shove those biased rules right back in the NHRA's face!!...It could weigh less if it was a bigger car with a longer wheelbase. Fortunately, the Fox Body Fairmonts were damn near as light as a Pinto/Mustang II....so he could have a light weight car with a longer wheel base!!....but the thing was as aerodynamic as a brick!!
But alas....Glidden built Cleveland power made it the only Pro Stock race car in the history of the sport that was never defeated.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 31st 2017, 12:32 pm

A few years ago, Larry Morgan said that when they put their Mopar Hemi engine in the Mustang body for testing the new body, it was really fast ... well, now they can.

Oh wait -- they don't use carburetors anymore and now also have a rev limit -- never mind.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 8th 2018, 9:46 pm

Moodyblues wrote:I have watched Fords in Pro Stock since the 1970s up until the last 3-4 years.  Glidden was the icon, even Rickie Smith ran a Ford.  I believe the reason is because the manufacturers just dont think they get the bang for the buck and the statistics have backed them up.  Cubic dollars has killed the class, heck even Top Sportsman is just slow promods now. I guess it means the old timers like me have been passed by.   I watched parts of 2 NHRA events this year and I'[m done with the NHRA.   Every category the cheapass GM craps gets top billing and everyone else is shown the door.   I will continue to run index stuff at local tracks because I dont care to the outlaw radial stuff etc.   I guy in staging this year I have sissy bars on my car ( i was staged beside Radial cars and I was running heads up)   I told him if wheelie bars was for sissies then he needed to pull that chute off his junk to show how true a badass he was..........

and Oh did I tell yall I hate Chebbies.........

Should would you care .....you drive Jap cars.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues January 9th 2018, 12:05 am

Lem Evans wrote:
Moodyblues wrote:I have watched Fords in Pro Stock since the 1970s up until the last 3-4 years.  Glidden was the icon, even Rickie Smith ran a Ford.  I believe the reason is because the manufacturers just dont think they get the bang for the buck and the statistics have backed them up.  Cubic dollars has killed the class, heck even Top Sportsman is just slow promods now. I guess it means the old timers like me have been passed by.   I watched parts of 2 NHRA events this year and I'[m done with the NHRA.   Every category the cheapass GM craps gets top billing and everyone else is shown the door.   I will continue to run index stuff at local tracks because I dont care to the outlaw radial stuff etc.   I guy in staging this year I have sissy bars on my car ( i was staged beside Radial cars and I was running heads up)   I told him if wheelie bars was for sissies then he needed to pull that chute off his junk to show how true a badass he was..........

and Oh did I tell yall I hate Chebbies.........

Should would you care .....you drive Jap cars.

I have two Ford trucks!
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 9th 2018, 10:16 am

"Lexus Pro Stock" has a nice ring to it. :-}

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon January 9th 2018, 7:34 pm

Lem Evans wrote:"Lexus Pro Stock" has a nice ring to it. :-}

Lexus=souped up yota... Razz
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues January 10th 2018, 4:07 pm

Im ok with that if the other manufacturers not going to support. Ford will not support pro stock period, of course if they could run the Boss 9 heads it might be a different game.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues January 10th 2018, 4:09 pm

I need some Jomar filters BTW
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 10th 2018, 4:50 pm

Moodyblues wrote:

I need some Jomar filters BTW  

How many?

I'm gonna get Cody Ladowski to make a adapter so the Jomar #9025 filter will fit the Lexus too. Less inventory to keep.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2