BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a c-4 for a 408

+5
whitefield
Gregaust
DILLIGASDAVE
stanger68
manofmerc
9 posters

Go down

Building a c-4 for a 408 Empty Building a c-4 for a 408

Post  manofmerc January 11th 2018, 6:59 am

Friend has a 65 mustang we are installing a 408 Windsor .We plan on a c4 for the transmission .What do I need to look for ? Case fill or pan fill ?I see that Broader has a clutch drum that holds 5 clutches is that a need? how about the #9 roller bearing are the benefits similar to a c-6 and since a c-4 has two bands what material for the bands and are the factory servos adequate.This will be a street strip car the engine has a hyd. roller 10.0 compression brodix heads edelbrock air gap dual plane intake .Just needing a direction and how does a c-5 compare

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Building a c-4 for a 408 Empty Re: Building a c-4 for a 408

Post  stanger68 January 12th 2018, 1:21 am

If you're anywhere near Alabama I have a family friend who is really good with C-4's. He and my dad both used them with big blocks for years with no problems. For high HP engines he recommends the pan fill, says they're a little thicker case if I remember right. At one time he had one with fabricated bell housing for an 455 ci FE he ran for a lot of years, then moved on to the 385 stuff. he's had them behind 532, 598, 600+ ci.

way more info than you asked for I know but what I was getting at is At that HP level on a small block Any case would probably do the job if it's built right. He's a machinist by trade so he does all the machining to add the extra clutches and what-nots himself. Let me know if you're interested I'll give you his number, You won't find a nicer guy to deal with either.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 12th 2018, 5:06 am

You could always PM jon/richter69 here, he built & abused C-4's in his Mustang for a long time before going 'glide.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 12th 2018, 5:10 am

I prefer the pan fill but we have plenty of them here ..
A case fill will do you ok .
5 clutches in top gear is a great idea , easily done if you wanted to do yourself.
Will need a good planet set also, most originals now are just plain worn out

Roller bearings definitely are a nice addition. If you can machine can show you how
The C4 #9 roler is good but also an added lube feed also works well

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Building a c-4 for a 408 Empty pan fill versus case fill

Post  manofmerc January 12th 2018, 6:04 am

Is there a difference between the bell housings on a pan fill ? Will headers for a 65 mustang clear a pan fill bell housing ? Somehow I believe a truck c4s bellhousing is larger and isn't a pan fill c4 from a pickup truck ?Don't much c4 clutch packs come with just 3-4 clutchs ?I am in Ga. so Ala. is right next door .Thanks for everyones help .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield January 12th 2018, 11:24 pm

manofmerc wrote:Is there a difference between the bell housings on a pan fill ? Will headers for a 65 mustang clear a pan fill bell housing ? Somehow I believe a truck c4s bellhousing is larger and isn't a pan fill c4 from a pickup truck ?Don't much c4 clutch packs come with just 3-4 clutchs ?I am in Ga. so Ala. is right next door .Thanks for everyones help .Doug

Case fill with a 157 tooth flywheel will be your better choice . Pan fill will be 164 tooth flywheel and a little more combersom in the 65 mustang with long tube headers. Just my 2 cents
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Building a c-4 for a 408 Empty PAN FILL

Post  ED468 January 13th 2018, 2:28 am

I've seen small bell pan fills. The tube gets in the way of headers more. Case fill is fine and is easier to find with small bell. I always had to cut on side of bell to use the big size bell (164) with long tube headers. Done a couple 66 mustangs with the bigger bell, much better like said with 157.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 13th 2018, 3:36 am

ED468 wrote:I've seen small bell pan fills.

Really ??? Not seen them

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Building a c-4 for a 408 Empty c-4

Post  manofmerc January 14th 2018, 5:48 am

Good to know that I really need a case fill for my friends car .I went to my local junk yard Saturday the only c-4 I found was in a pickup and it was a pan fill.So we are still looking around .A little info on this car it was his wifes car 65 with pony interior six cylinder.It is becoming his daughters car with a little drag strip time involved .We installed a AJE front suspension this past week looks really good ! After we cut back and welded in plates for the shock towers I measured 27" between them!With some work on that fire wall I think a big block would fit .Thanks for the info a case fill and 157 tooth flywheel is what we are looking for .Doug afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil January 14th 2018, 10:01 am

Are the bellhousings interchangeable from the pan fill to the case fill? Excluding, of course, the big bell C-4.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller January 15th 2018, 12:09 am

pmrphil wrote:Are the bellhousings interchangeable from the pan fill to the case fill? Excluding, of course, the big bell C-4.

IIRC no the pan fill C-4's have separate bolts to bolt bellhousing to trans case,the case fill C-4's the front pump bolts are used to bolt bellhousing to trans case!!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  1982GT January 15th 2018, 7:23 am

pmrphil wrote:Are the bellhousings interchangeable from the pan fill to the case fill? Excluding, of course, the big bell C-4.

You can use the small bellhousing on the pan fill c4's since they bolt to the pump, but you can't do the opposite because the pan fill uses an external flange for the large 164 tooth bellhousing to bolt to.
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield January 15th 2018, 10:54 am

Mark Miller wrote:

IIRC no the pan fill C-4's have separate bolts to bolt bellhousing to trans case,the case fill C-4's the front pump bolts are used to bolt bellhousing to trans case!!!

1982GT wrote:

You can use the small bellhousing on the pan fill c4's since they bolt to the pump, but you can't do the opposite because the pan fill uses an external flange for the large 164 tooth bellhousing to bolt to.

Both of these statements are true and if you bolt the case fill bell to the pan fill case you will have to do a lot of measurements to get the correct torque converter. The pan fill case Is some what larger were the bell housing attaches. . Case fill is your best bet . Good luck
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down