Race Engine EFI build

Go down

Race Engine EFI build

Post  Ashburner on February 28th 2018, 6:09 am

I remember me saying I´ll never use an EFI but since I saw the stuff Phillip Oakley showed me I might have changed my mind just a little bit What a Face
Currently I´m running a dual Dominator, tunnel ram setup on my C-headed 620cui drag race engine.
It´s too late to move to EFI for this race season but I´ll try to collect as much information as possible for the next season.
Would be nice to keep my tunnel ram dual setup, just replace the carbs with two throttle bodies, I saw some very nice ones from Accufab.
For the control, I don´t know if theres much difference in performance between the brands, Holley seems to be the most sympathetic for me at the moment.

With this post I would like to collect your experience, advise, etc.
Who is running such a combination? What do you recommend or not recommend?

I forgot to mention I have to work for my money, so I don´t want to spend 5000+ Dollars on that stuff, If I´d have to I´ll stay with carbs  Laughing

Thanks
Franz

Ashburner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Race Engine EFI build

Post  windsor on February 28th 2018, 8:29 am

Unless you source everything used you will definitely be close to or well over $5k depending on which system you run.
windsor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 on February 28th 2018, 9:11 am

Ashburner wrote:I remember me saying I´ll never use an EFI but since I saw the stuff Phillip Oakley showed me I might have changed my mind just a little bit What a Face
Currently I´m running a dual Dominator, tunnel ram setup on my C-headed 620cui drag race engine.
It´s too late to move to EFI for this race season but I´ll try to collect as much information as possible for the next season.
Would be nice to keep my tunnel ram dual setup, just replace the carbs with two throttle bodies, I saw some very nice ones from Accufab.
For the control, I don´t know if theres much difference in performance between the brands, Holley seems to be the most sympathetic for me at the moment.

I forgot to mention I have to work for my money, so I don´t want to spend 5000+ Dollars on that stuff, If I´d have to I´ll stay with carbs  Laughing

Thanks
Franz

$5000+ is the going rate....... But keep in mind Top End carbs will be in the $3000+ range for a pair too. And you have to do the tuning manually.
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashburner on March 1st 2018, 4:13 am

First day of Research..
Currently I got the following products, which I think are what I would Need.

EFI: Holley 550-605 + Harness for dual throttle bodies 558-206
Throttle Bodies: 2x Accufab 5500
Fuel Pump: don´t know yet

comments welcome..

Ashburner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Babbit Bearings on March 4th 2018, 6:21 pm

Ashburner wrote:I remember me saying I´ll never use an EFI but since I saw the stuff Phillip Oakley showed me I might have changed my mind just a little bit What a Face

Thanks
Franz

megasquirt: less than 1/2 the cost of holley with more features.

Babbit Bearings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf on March 5th 2018, 9:49 am

My first suggestion is alway to find out what dealers/installers are in your area. Holley / FAST /Big Stuff 3 / Haltech all have their followers but once you buy all this stuff at some point you are going to need technical support. Holley has a great forum and you get responses pretty fast. Holley phone tech is very slow however. I have an Holley HP efi but it is a street car not a max effort car. I have a friend that is a Holley dealer and they do no like FAST and pretty much hate MSquirt systems. He has a Big Stuff3 on his Twin Turbo 598 Boss and they install a ton of Holley Dominator systems. At your level I would not be looking at the DIY route IMO. I have another friend that installed a FAST unit and had random problems. He could never figure it out and ended up taking it off because he couldn't find anyone in our area that works on FAST units.

Here is a quote I found on YB:

Of the three mentioned, the Holley is like a Mac. It can do a lot on it's own and do it well.

The FAST XFI is more like Unix. It can do a lot on it's own, but I find it far easier to tune and take the car to the bitter edge than the Holley.

The BS3 is like Windows. It can work very well at times and other times you have no clue what it is going to do.
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum