BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorplate as transmission adapter

3 posters

Go down

Motorplate as transmission adapter Empty Motorplate as transmission adapter

Post  litshoot June 24th 2018, 12:52 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has used a mid motor plate as a bellhousing adapter to use a different transmission. I'm looking to use a small block housing with a multi plate clutch to save room and be able to push engine further back in the build. Would a 1/4 steel plate or closer to a 1/2 inch aluminum plate make it as a viable adapter. Or am I just reinventing the wheel with a big chance of failure. Thanks for any help.
Seth

litshoot

Back to top Go down

Motorplate as transmission adapter Empty Re: Motorplate as transmission adapter

Post  bosshoss June 24th 2018, 1:22 pm

I had a PG adapter for my old Cleveland that was 1/2inch aluminum. Worked good, needed a spacer on the back of the crank to make the torque converter nose fit.
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 24th 2018, 9:38 pm

litshoot wrote:Hello, I was wondering if anyone has used a mid motor plate as a bellhousing adapter to use a different transmission. I'm looking to use a small block housing with a multi plate clutch to save room and be able to push engine further back in the build.  Would a 1/4 steel plate or closer to a 1/2 inch aluminum plate make it as a viable adapter.  Or am I just reinventing the wheel with a big chance of failure.  Thanks for any help.
Seth

That's how it's done.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  litshoot June 24th 2018, 10:16 pm

Curt wrote:That's how it's done.

Nice. Any pointers for how to best align it all. Figured, mark a template from the old transmission, align it to the block then align new transmission and mark holes for new bell,installing clutch and pilot bearing should give me the best chance of correct alignment. Can I just tap the plate and get appropriate length bolts threaded into them?

litshoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 26th 2018, 10:16 am

litshoot wrote:
Curt wrote:That's how it's done.

Nice.  Any pointers for how to best align it all.  Figured, mark a template from the old transmission, align it to the block then align new transmission and mark holes for new bell,installing clutch and pilot bearing should give me the best chance of correct alignment.  Can I just tap the plate and get appropriate length bolts threaded into them?

Just have Keith Fulp make you one.   It will probably be cheaper than trying to do one yourself.  One mistake will be costly. Click here for Keith Fulp Motorsports
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  litshoot June 26th 2018, 10:25 am

Curt, While looking into this all last night I actually emailed him fairly late last night 630 this morning I had a response saying he will look into this

my other questions being I got to looking last night the rails spread out wider, perhaps an additional crossmember with risers to attach the plate to might be an option. its nearly 4 foot between the rear part of the rails, the brake booster is more inboard than the frame rail. might need some inventive fixes. Others wise no midplate using only a front and trans mount.

litshoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 26th 2018, 6:23 pm

The mid plate can be as wide as needed and skeletonized if you need clearance for headers, brake boosters etc. I had a mid plate in a SG car years ago that only fastened at the very top to the cross bar with two 3/8" fasteners.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down