oil pan

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

oil pan

Post  69F100 on July 8th 2018, 9:41 am

Looking to buy a new oil pan never had a problem loosing oil pressure until now Friday on my last pass, lost pressure for just a second when I hit the brakes when I let out of it. It was the fastest time it has ran in the 1/4 at 9.64, the light might not have came on if I had not used the 1st turn off. But if I have to get on the brakes hard don't want to worry about hurting the bottom end with no oil pressure. I have room for a full length pan I have tube front end so no member to worry about. I was looking at the  Canton Racing Products 18-760 Marine Oil Pan Big Block Ford 429-460. Just wondering what other are using.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5134
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  pmrphil on July 8th 2018, 9:52 am

Full length pans are known to drop pressure at the hit (hard) of the brakes - best bet is a deeper sump if you have the room.
I tried an accumulator once, it just masked the problem, changed to a step pan and solved the problem.

pmrphil

Posts : 118
Join date : 2016-10-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  rmcomprandy on July 8th 2018, 10:02 am

Losing oil pressure for as you saw it, (just a second), did some damage.
Whether or not it is enough to cause a problem is the real question.

No matter the shape ... the oil pan needs to have good baffling inside to control the oil within that pan.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5129
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  69F100 on July 8th 2018, 10:02 am

I have room for just about any pan as long as it not to deep need to get a measurement on that. I got a rear sump truck pan with a little extra sump welded to the front of it but no windage tray or trap doors
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5134
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  pmrphil on July 8th 2018, 10:09 am

Check the location of the pickup screen, also the height from the floor. If you can't go deeper, how about wider? But, as Randy said, control is a big deal. A pan shaped like an open bathtub won't work very well either.

pmrphil

Posts : 118
Join date : 2016-10-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  69F100 on July 8th 2018, 10:16 am

[quote="rmcomprandy"]Losing oil pressure for as you saw it, (just a second), did some damage.
Whether or not it is enough to cause a problem is the real question.

No matter the shape ... the oil pan needs to have good baffling inside to control the oil within that pan.[/quo


I agree with you Randy that the reason I loaded it up after the 2nd pass when the oil light flashed on. A lot cheaper to load it up bring it home and pull it apart check the bearings and get a good pan on it. Than have to rebuild from having a bearing letting go my oil pressure still where it always has been but will still check the bottom end out good.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5134
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  69F100 on July 8th 2018, 10:29 am

pmrphil wrote:Check the location of the pickup screen, also the height from the floor. If you can't go deeper, how about wider? But, as Randy said, control is a big deal. A pan shaped like an open bathtub won't work very well either.

The pick is set as close to the bottom I set that with clay when I built the engine. I am not dead set on one type pan that the reason I ask here 1st before buying a pan. I did find one rear sump 8qt pan with windage tray and trap doors I was also looking at going to get measurements today after church.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5134
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  rmcomprandy on July 8th 2018, 11:06 am

I don't know what will fit your chassis however, the rear sump Fox Mustang oil pan from CANTON #13-772 works very well for a catalog offering.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5129
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  BOSS 429 on July 8th 2018, 7:20 pm

69F100 wrote:Looking to buy a new oil pan never had a problem loosing oil pressure until now Friday on my last pass, lost pressure for just a second when I hit the brakes when I let out of it. It was the fastest time it has ran in the 1/4 at 9.64, the light might not have came on if I had not used the 1st turn off. But if I have to get on the brakes hard don't want to worry about hurting the bottom end with no oil pressure. I have room for a full length pan I have tube front end so no member to worry about. I was looking at the  Canton Racing Products 18-760 Marine Oil Pan Big Block Ford 429-460. Just wondering what other are using.



MOROSO, FLAT BOTTOM DRAGSTER PAN , was there enough oil in the engine?

Or was it the fact its not returning fast enough to the pan?
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2225
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  69F100 on July 8th 2018, 8:20 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:
69F100 wrote:Looking to buy a new oil pan never had a problem loosing oil pressure until now Friday on my last pass, lost pressure for just a second when I hit the brakes when I let out of it. It was the fastest time it has ran in the 1/4 at 9.64, the light might not have came on if I had not used the 1st turn off. But if I have to get on the brakes hard don't want to worry about hurting the bottom end with no oil pressure. I have room for a full length pan I have tube front end so no member to worry about. I was looking at the  Canton Racing Products 18-760 Marine Oil Pan Big Block Ford 429-460. Just wondering what other are using.



MOROSO, FLAT BOTTOM DRAGSTER PAN , was there enough oil in the engine?

Or was it the fact its not returning fast enough to the pan?

Rich it had 7qt in it like I have always ran only thing that has changed was I went to crane gold rockers from the dove manufacturing rocker. Unless maybe the new rockers have a bigger hole for oil and putting more oil up top now.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5134
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  BOSS 429 on July 8th 2018, 10:57 pm

69F100 wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:
69F100 wrote:Looking to buy a new oil pan never had a problem loosing oil pressure until now Friday on my last pass, lost pressure for just a second when I hit the brakes when I let out of it. It was the fastest time it has ran in the 1/4 at 9.64, the light might not have came on if I had not used the 1st turn off. But if I have to get on the brakes hard don't want to worry about hurting the bottom end with no oil pressure. I have room for a full length pan I have tube front end so no member to worry about. I was looking at the  Canton Racing Products 18-760 Marine Oil Pan Big Block Ford 429-460. Just wondering what other are using.



MOROSO, FLAT BOTTOM DRAGSTER PAN , was there enough oil in the engine?

Or was it the fact its not returning fast enough to the pan?

Rich it had 7qt in it like I have always ran only thing that has changed was I went to crane gold rockers from the dove manufacturing rocker. Unless maybe the new rockers have a bigger hole for oil and putting more oil up top now.
3









yup, a lot do have a larger hole,andsome line up better with pushrod. have seen plenty of guys lose an engine because this was not checked
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2225
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  BOSS 429 on July 8th 2018, 10:58 pm

7qs with which pan?
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2225
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  69F100 on July 8th 2018, 11:14 pm

It was a rear sump that has had a little added to the front of the sump 7qt put it just over full
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5134
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  BBFTorino on July 8th 2018, 11:16 pm

The pickup needs to be submerged / surrounded by oil at all times. A few baffles or trap doors and good oil drainback can work wonders.

BBFTorino

Posts : 603
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  dfree383 on July 9th 2018, 6:20 am

Lem offers custom aluminum wet sumps that are priced decent for the features and being what ever you want for fitment and features.

Call him and talk a bit about what you can get, they are worth it IMO over most of the shelf stuff.


Last edited by dfree383 on July 10th 2018, 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14151
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  Lem Evans on July 9th 2018, 12:36 pm

69F100 wrote:Looking to buy a new oil pan never had a problem loosing oil pressure until now Friday on my last pass, lost pressure for just a second when I hit the brakes when I let out of it. It was the fastest time it has ran in the 1/4 at 9.64, the light might not have came on if I had not used the 1st turn off. But if I have to get on the brakes hard don't want to worry about hurting the bottom end with no oil pressure. I have room for a full length pan I have tube front end so no member to worry about. I was looking at the  Canton Racing Products 18-760 Marine Oil Pan Big Block Ford 429-460. Just wondering what other are using.

Get a pan with a proper rear sump. Pans with flat floors aren't the way to go.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  jbozzelle on July 9th 2018, 5:08 pm

The Moroso truck pan is good as well as the Fox body pan.

My Fox pan has a door, baffle and a windage screen...

jbozzelle

Posts : 3605
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 44
Location : New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  69F100 on July 9th 2018, 5:20 pm

I am getting under the truck here in a few and see what I can can put on it in depth with out loosing to much ground clearance. I don't think the truck pan will work the ones I seen are from 9 1/2'' to 10'' deep.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5134
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  jbozzelle on July 9th 2018, 5:28 pm

The truck pan is the same depth I think but the middle is the same depth as the front...

jbozzelle

Posts : 3605
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 44
Location : New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  69F100 on July 9th 2018, 8:36 pm

I got measurements today for the depth 9 1/2'' will work on the rear sump 12'' wide will fit also. the truck pans I see for 8qt are 10 3/4'' deep  and that going to put closer to ground than I want. I will give Lem call to see about a custom pan and see what it will cost. not in a real big hurry right now need to put new struts on my wife's car and tires
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5134
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  Lem Evans on July 9th 2018, 8:45 pm



This thing Ford Racing made is real good too.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  jbozzelle on July 9th 2018, 10:55 pm

Lem Evans wrote:

This thing Ford Racing made is real good too.

I would prefer that pan over my Moroso.  

It will clear the A460 center main caps too...

jbozzelle

Posts : 3605
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 44
Location : New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  cool40 on July 9th 2018, 11:10 pm

^^^^good idea. IMO
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7165
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oil pan

Post  Lem Evans on July 10th 2018, 11:09 am

jbozzelle wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:

This thing Ford Racing made is real good too.

I would prefer that pan over my Moroso.  

It will clear the A460 center main caps too...

A louvered solid tray is by far superior to things that escaped from screen door.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum