BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cylinder Head for 500+ ci.

+17
FalconEh
Carl
IDT-572
Curt
jbozzelle
DanE
Rickytx630
Colt Macara
TravisRice
69F100
rmcomprandy
Lem Evans
bruno
Paul Kane
away
dfree383
foxbody82
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Cylinder Head for 500+ ci.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Cylinder Head for 500+ ci.

Post  Carl September 16th 2018, 3:28 pm

Cobrajet 502 wrote:What class are you planning to run in for Drag Week? I guess that with a 10.90, street machine eliminator would be the only class you would probably competitive in. And to qualify for the final 32, you probably will have to run at least a 10.50 average or better. Building a truck that will be able to drive 1,000 miles over 5 days and make 1 or more passes on each day isn't going to be easy. Lots of big money cars broke this year and went home early! I've toyed with the idea of doing drag week, if they ever get back up in the midwest again. Problem is the cars keep going faster and faster, it's not going to be as easy as it was a few years ago. I believe there were about 6 street driven cars in the 6's at up to 215 mph! Unbelievable!

Looks like DW is going to be in the northeast next year, MD, NJ, etc.  Wouldn't be surprised if they go to the midwest in 2020.

I noticed the top three in the big block NA class were all running in the 9's, but even a 12 second car is mid-pack.  Even in the overall standings a 12 second car is mid pack.  For all the internet tough guy talk, a 12 second street car still appears to be pretty damned respectable.  I think just finishing the week is a huge accomplishment.  Seems like the racing would be the easy part, and the real challenge would be in the travel.  I've driven my race car to a multi-day event that's six hours away, and it was a serious marathon effort.  What these guys are doing in DW is way harder.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 September 16th 2018, 3:51 pm

Carl wrote:
Cobrajet 502 wrote:What class are you planning to run in for Drag Week? I guess that with a 10.90, street machine eliminator would be the only class you would probably competitive in. And to qualify for the final 32, you probably will have to run at least a 10.50 average or better. Building a truck that will be able to drive 1,000 miles over 5 days and make 1 or more passes on each day isn't going to be easy. Lots of big money cars broke this year and went home early! I've toyed with the idea of doing drag week, if they ever get back up in the midwest again. Problem is the cars keep going faster and faster, it's not going to be as easy as it was a few years ago. I believe there were about 6 street driven cars in the 6's at up to 215 mph! Unbelievable!

Looks like DW is going to be in the northeast next year, MD, NJ, etc.  Wouldn't be surprised if they go to the midwest in 2020.

I noticed the top three in the big block NA class were all running in the 9's, but even a 12 second car is mid-pack.  Even in the overall standings a 12 second car is mid pack.  For all the internet tough guy talk, a 12 second street car still appears to be pretty damned respectable.  I think just finishing the week is a huge accomplishment.  Seems like the racing would be the easy part, and the real challenge would be in the travel.  I've driven my race car to a multi-day event that's six hours away, and it was a serious marathon effort.  What these guys are doing in DW is way harder.

I would have tackled something like that 20 years ago, but I didn't have any money to build something fast. Now I have some money and no desire to torture myself for a week. Sometimes when I'm on vacation, I don't leave the compound for a week. I wonder if you can fit an AC compressor on one of those rigs between all the twin turbo plumbing? Anybody make a kit fo dat?? Razz
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl September 16th 2018, 4:08 pm

cletus66 wrote:I would have tackled something like that 20 years ago, but I didn't have any money to build something fast.  Now I have some money and no desire to torture myself for a week.  Sometimes when I'm on vacation, I don't leave the compound for a week.  I wonder if you can fit an AC compressor on one of those rigs between all the twin turbo plumbing?  Anybody make a kit fo dat??  Razz

I know there was at least one super fast car that had A/C this year. Not sure if it was a turbo. Probably pretty easy to do with a nitrous car, especially with one of the sponsors doing free tank fills all week.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  foxbody82 September 16th 2018, 9:59 pm

Street machine eliminator would be the class for the first year. It has always been something I wanted to do with my dad. My 10.90 goal is solely for my own good, competitive or not. I think that is what draws me to dragweek. Most of the guys are there to push their combo and do it for their own enjoyment, not to win a trophy. Sure it would be nice to win a class, but being there with my pops and using an entire week to dial in a combo and make something good better is why I want to go even if it is street machine eliminator. If I decide it’s an event I want to go to regularly I would probably put the drive train in my fox with some boost or spray and jump into a faster class.
foxbody82
foxbody82

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3