poly locks/ pushrod length

Go down

poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  stanger68 on September 23rd 2018, 10:55 pm

I was getting ready to take my engine to the dyno. I went to run the valves and install the girdles and found the poly locks that came with the TFS girdle won't adjust out far enough. It's like the push rods are too short. I checked the pushrod length til I was blue in the face before I ordered them several months back. Comp Cams 3/8 X .120 wall 9.250 intake and 9.650 ex. I went ahead and installed the rockers with no girdle. The short polys that came with the rockers have about half the set screw (3 threads) protruding the top.


Engine is TFS - A head 340 cc 18 bolt heads on D1 block 557/ Crower severe duty solid rollers pn- 66217H, Comp chrome moly 1.8 rockers pn-1838-16.


Do the pushrod lengths sound about right? Thinking I just need a longer poly lock?? I was planning to go ahead with the dyno appointment without the girdle and correct that issue later. Any suggestions?

side note: the lifters were special ordered with dual oil feed to the axle and have a SXXXXXX hand written in ink to side of the base part number. I wouldn't think that would change the body though.

stanger68

Posts : 245
Join date : 2015-12-05
Location : Birmingham, Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  kjett on September 24th 2018, 7:55 am

You do know that you can get longer rocker studs that will give you more thread engagement at the top, right? I had to get longer studs for my TFS A heads using a Jomar girdle.
avatar
kjett

Posts : 1133
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  stanger68 on September 24th 2018, 8:09 am

Studs would need to be shorter. I did consider cutting them.

stanger68

Posts : 245
Join date : 2015-12-05
Location : Birmingham, Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  kjett on September 24th 2018, 9:04 am

stanger68 wrote:Studs would need to be shorter. I did consider cutting them.

I haven't seen where you would need shorter studs, but I guess it is possible. Have you marked and re-checked your pushrod length? where does the roller tip sit on the top of the valve/lash cap when you cycle the valve?
avatar
kjett

Posts : 1133
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  rmcomprandy on September 24th 2018, 9:10 am

kjett wrote:You do know that you can get longer rocker studs that will give you more thread engagement at the top, right? I had to get longer studs for my TFS A heads using a Jomar girdle.  

With the predicament he is facing he would need longer girdle nuts or SHORTER rocker studs, IF the pushrods are indeed the correct length.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5176
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  kjett on September 24th 2018, 9:16 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
kjett wrote:You do know that you can get longer rocker studs that will give you more thread engagement at the top, right? I had to get longer studs for my TFS A heads using a Jomar girdle.  

With the predicament he is facing he would need longer girdle nuts or SHORTER rocker studs, IF the pushrods are indeed the correct length.

Yeah misread the original. Point was they make different length studs, girdle nuts, and pushrods for a reason so the geometry can be correctly set. it sounds like something is definitely off..
avatar
kjett

Posts : 1133
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  Lem Evans on September 24th 2018, 10:53 am

stanger68 wrote:I was getting ready to take my engine to the dyno. I went to run the valves and install the girdles and found the poly locks that came with the TFS girdle won't adjust out far enough. It's like the push rods are too short. I checked the pushrod length til I was blue in the face before I ordered them several months back. Comp Cams 3/8 X .120 wall 9.250 intake and 9.650 ex. I went ahead and installed the rockers with no girdle. The short polys that came with the rockers have about half the set screw (3 threads) protruding the top.


Engine is TFS - A head 340 cc 18 bolt heads on D1 block 557/  Crower severe duty solid rollers pn- 66217H, Comp chrome moly 1.8 rockers pn-1838-16.


Do the pushrod lengths sound about right? Thinking I just need a longer poly lock?? I was planning to go ahead with the dyno appointment without the girdle and correct that issue later. Any suggestions?

side note: the lifters were special ordered with dual oil feed to the axle and have a SXXXXXX hand written in ink to side of the base part number. I wouldn't think that would change the body though.

Your pushrod lengths are usual. How long are your adjusting nuts? The Jomar nuts are 2.6" long.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7157
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  stanger68 on September 24th 2018, 7:21 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
stanger68 wrote:I was getting ready to take my engine to the dyno. I went to run the valves and install the girdles and found the poly locks that came with the TFS girdle won't adjust out far enough. It's like the push rods are too short. I checked the pushrod length til I was blue in the face before I ordered them several months back. Comp Cams 3/8 X .120 wall 9.250 intake and 9.650 ex. I went ahead and installed the rockers with no girdle. The short polys that came with the rockers have about half the set screw (3 threads) protruding the top.


Engine is TFS - A head 340 cc 18 bolt heads on D1 block 557/  Crower severe duty solid rollers pn- 66217H, Comp chrome moly 1.8 rockers pn-1838-16.


Do the pushrod lengths sound about right? Thinking I just need a longer poly lock?? I was planning to go ahead with the dyno appointment without the girdle and correct that issue later. Any suggestions?

side note: the lifters were special ordered with dual oil feed to the axle and have a SXXXXXX hand written in ink to side of the base part number. I wouldn't think that would change the body though.

Your pushrod lengths are usual. How long are your adjusting nuts? The Jomar nuts are 2.6" long.

Thanksl lem they are 2.625 overall including hex head.

stanger68

Posts : 245
Join date : 2015-12-05
Location : Birmingham, Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  Lem Evans on September 24th 2018, 7:29 pm

w/0 hex?

Lem Evans

Posts : 7157
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: poly locks/ pushrod length

Post  stanger68 on September 24th 2018, 10:39 pm

2.475

stanger68

Posts : 245
Join date : 2015-12-05
Location : Birmingham, Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum