BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bore vs stroke increase effect on X cam?

4 posters

Go down

Bore vs stroke increase effect on X cam?  Empty Bore vs stroke increase effect on X cam?

Post  J.Toney October 13th 2018, 11:44 am

Probably too broad of a question, and I know testing is the best answer. Or maybe a thread has alredy covered this? Also understand each will require an different cam to optimize power.

But is there general input? Example is 4.420 x 4.300 528" engine. Have a given cam. Now increase the bore to 4.560 and leave all other parts equal, 562"

Versus: Increase stroke to 4.600 or X amount to create similar cubic in outcome, and leave bore @ 4.420. I assume torque will gain a good bit vs the bore increase.

How far away is the original cam getting away from being optimal for its intent using differnt methods of inch increase

J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Bore vs stroke increase effect on X cam?  Empty Re: Bore vs stroke increase effect on X cam?

Post  BBFTorino October 13th 2018, 3:40 pm

Having seen this topic before, I remember a discussion about it several years ago on some other forum.
The prevailing opinion was that the increase (or decrease) of stroke has the greater affect on the combo. Because of the increase in piston speed and the greater signal it will pull through the intake tract.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Bore vs stroke increase effect on X cam?  Empty Re: Bore vs stroke increase effect on X cam?

Post  Straubtech November 13th 2018, 2:21 pm

Piston speed sets the demand the airpump creates. Changing stroke is a much greater change on demand then changing bore. Changing bore to increase it can help camshaft allowing the head to flow more air in.

Straubtech

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 November 14th 2018, 1:38 am

[quote="J.Toney"]Probably too broad of a question, and I know testing is the best answer.  Or maybe a thread has alredy  covered this? Also understand each will require an different cam to optimize power.

But is there general input? Example is 4.420 x 4.300 528" engine. Have a given cam. Now increase the bore to 4.560 and leave all other parts equal, 562"

Versus: Increase stroke to 4.600 or X amount to create similar cubic in outcome, and leave bore @ 4.420. I assume torque will gain a good bit vs the bore increase.

How far away is the original cam getting away from being optimal for its intent using differnt methods of inch increase

What cly head is being used,and intake?

BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney November 15th 2018, 3:32 pm

TFS A460's, later TFS intake
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down