BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue?

+4
stanger68
jasonf
BBFTorino
Mustang-junky
8 posters

Go down

Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue? Empty Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue?

Post  Mustang-junky April 4th 2019, 9:38 pm

Motor is a 545 and it's in my 1979 bronco body setting on a 1987 f-350 frame. Not a lot of room for oil filters in stock location and I didn't have the normal 90 degree adapter for a 460 using this frame. I did have an oil filter relocating kit and decided I wanted to go that route. But I'm not sure if the height of where I chose to put it will be an issue. Will the oil in the lines drain back into the motor leaving a delay in oil getting to the motor on start up? I could find somewhere lower if it would help, I do like the idea of the filter being easy to get to though.
Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue? Img_9310

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue? Empty Re: Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue?

Post  BBFTorino April 4th 2019, 11:35 pm

The oil will probably drain back, but you can install a startup delay that will give you an extra few seconds of cranking before it fires up.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue? Empty Re: Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue?

Post  jasonf April 5th 2019, 12:03 am

I had an 85 with a similar setup from L&L and I never noticed any problems. Mine was located right next to the radiator like that.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 April 5th 2019, 7:30 am

I have the filter in my 68 mounted horizontal in almost the same location. It’s been that way for over 20 years with no problems.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky April 5th 2019, 9:43 pm

Thanks for the reply's.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh April 5th 2019, 11:00 pm

The location is no problem IMO, but introducing some airflow to the filter will help with the oil temps, holes, fan etc.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue? Empty Off topic question

Post  Price5113 April 6th 2019, 7:38 am

Jess, I had a question regarding the brake booster on your Bronco. What diameter approximately is it and where did you source it. I have been searching around for a "smaller" diameter booster for my 79 F150. Steve..............

Price5113

Back to top Go down

Post  norm April 6th 2019, 8:36 pm

There's a "F350" booster conversion that's pretty common on these. Some googling should find some info easily
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kobelco April 7th 2019, 2:59 pm

I see you have an accumulator does it have an electric valve? it opens when key is turned?
Try a Gen 2 v8 non cooler oil filter adapter it may work....

Kobelco

Back to top Go down

Oil filter location, is this going to be an issue? Empty Booster tip

Post  Price5113 April 9th 2019, 8:10 am

Thanks for the "tip" on the booster. Found some info on this. Very straight forward swap...............

Price5113

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky April 10th 2019, 9:45 pm

Price5113 wrote:Thanks for the "tip" on the booster. Found some info on this. Very straight forward swap...............

The swap is straight forward but getting your hands on one of the dual diaphragm boosters is hard. There is a split around 1978 and 1979, you need to get the correct booster for your year. You should look into doing a hydroboost setup for even better brakes.

My accumulator does not have the electric valve. I'd like to pick one up someday.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down