BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broken BBF block

+2
BBFTorino
johndickjr
6 posters

Go down

Broken BBF block Empty Broken BBF block

Post  johndickjr August 20th 2019, 7:19 pm

Have you ever actually seen a broken stock BBF block? Not a block that is broke from a rod or crank failure ...looking at doing a more serious build for my falcon, it would be a turbo deal , maybe even use dove heads or cheap procomp , not a super cheap build but dont want to blow budget by spending $3000 on a aftermarket block, like to run 4.90—5.20 range at 2700lbs

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Broken BBF block Empty Re: Broken BBF block

Post  BBFTorino August 21st 2019, 2:00 am

I have seen a stock 2 bolt main cap that was cracked in two. I have seen a block that had a crack in a cylinder that went all the way up to the top, and the crack was across the deck, through a head bolt hole, and then stopped at the outer edge of the block deck. However, both of these engines still ran fine before they were disassembled, cleaned, and crack tested.

The one with the broken main cap, it could have been from severe detonation, or a less than desirable balance job, or it could have simply been a porous casting that cracked from vibration.

The other block, I think it was more to do with excessive heat / thermal properties.

If you are going forced induction, and want to use a stock block, I feel that the best one to use would be a D0VE-A thick web block because it is strong, and you can get them for $300-$500 generally.
Of course, using a factory Boss 429, or SCJ 4 bolt would be nice, but you are going to pay almost as much for one of those, as you are for an SVO A460 block, in which case, it would then make more sense to just buy that one!!

Just my .02

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 21st 2019, 9:18 am

I have seen many broken stock blocks with the main webs cracked or a complete mess.
Spend the money and get an A460 block for the foundation.
Can it be done with a production block ?
Sure, if there is never a mishap and everything is always in good tune ... otherwise you'll be sorry.

People seem to never have enough money to do it right the first time but, they always have enough money to do it again.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie August 21st 2019, 11:04 am

I agree with Randy again.

At the power level you are looking at (1100+ HP)
I would certainly not be using a factory block.
Find a good used A460 block or Eliminator block.
Peace of mind!

68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane August 22nd 2019, 1:39 pm

johndickjr wrote:Have you ever actually seen a broken stock BBF block? ...looking at doing a more serious build for my falcon, it would be a turbo deal , maybe even use dove heads or cheap procomp , not a super cheap build but dont want to blow budget by spending $3000 on a aftermarket block, like to run 4.90—5.20 range at 2700lbs
In excess of 1000 HP, 95% of the broken stock blocks I have seen were not the block’s fault, and 98% of the broken aftermarket blocks I have seen were not the blocks fault.  Er go, the additional $1500+\- spent on the aftermarket block nets only a 3% reduction to the chances of stand-alone block failure. There may be other advantages in aftermarket blocks but those advantages are realized only in graduations as horsepower goes up (ie, 1500 hp, 2000 hp, 2500 hp, etc), not necessarily at 1200 HP (for example).  So if you really know what you are doing, a 4-bolted passenger car block can provide many years of reliable service over the course of several engine builds.

The Procomp head does have a superior exhaust port for a turbocharged engine, however I’d still opt for the iron D0VE or D3 as I feel their ported intake runner is slightly better plus they’ll hold the head gasket in place better.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  427John August 25th 2019, 12:04 am

One other question to ask yourself is will you really be satisfied with that power level from now on?Will you ever want to go faster,if so then building an engine that can be upgraded and not starting over from square 1 begins to justify spending the money on a better block.Luckily for me I'm satisfied with much lower power levels and won't have to make those kinds of decisions,good luck with whatever you decide.

427John

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 1st 2019, 4:23 pm

427John wrote:...will you really be satisfied with that power level from now on? Will you ever want to go faster, if so then building an engine that can be upgraded and not starting over from square 1 begins to justify spending the money on a better block....
Relative to this thread, the only reason I see the need for an aftermarket block is for increased displacement, such as for building a 598, 632, etc.  A 4-bolted, 2-bolted block is not "done" at 1200 hp (of course how much power any block can handle really depends on a lot of variables).
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down