BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much retard, iron heads

2 posters

Go down

How much retard, iron heads Empty How much retard, iron heads

Post  Steve-oh January 7th 2020, 8:49 pm

How much retard are you guys with iron heads using with 200-250 shot, know it comes down to the complete set up, I just looking at an idea of where things will be at once i get the tune right, how much timing set in distributor and take the rest out with the msd box.... I have a induction Solutions system working with with steve on it was just curious what I'd be looking at and if I could possibly leave the distributor alone and be able to take enough timing out with just the box with iron heads, .....I'm swapping to methanol before I start spraying it and will be using race fuel as an enrichment.

Steve-oh

Back to top Go down

How much retard, iron heads Empty Re: How much retard, iron heads

Post  BBFTorino January 8th 2020, 1:47 am

What is your compression ratio? Generally, a common rule of thumb is to pull 2 degrees of timing for every 50 horsepower increase.
That is a conservative or 'safe' timing situation. But you mention running on methanol, which is a cooler burning fuel than gasoline, so you may get by with 1 degree for every 50 horses. You will want to know what the octane rating for the methanol fuel is before you "hit" it with everything you have!!
It is wise to start small....a lesser NOS hit, and work your way up to the bigger hit.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-oh January 8th 2020, 7:28 am

13:1 is what the compression is, going to start with a 100 and learn to read the plugs and work my way to the 250 hit

Steve-oh

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino January 9th 2020, 12:49 am

If you have not done so already, get yourself a air/fuel ratio meter that can read Methanol fuel exhaust, and it will help you with the tune up, big time!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down