BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUper charger question

4 posters

Go down

SUper charger question Empty SUper charger question

Post  Tore January 7th 2010, 6:33 pm

What kinds of strains does a supercharger like a Vortech put on an engine? SUch as rods, crank,pistons etc. Cool

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

SUper charger question Empty Re: SUper charger question

Post  bbf-falcon January 7th 2010, 8:24 pm

I would think anything that builds boost would put a strain on the shortblock it's a matter of how much boost. But again I don't know anything about super chargers, blowers, turbo's or nitrous Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore January 7th 2010, 9:36 pm

I figure it does. But I just wonder how much. I wondered about the crank and rods. If somebody on here has alot of exoerience with these applications I would appreciate it if they could reply. I am very ignorant on these type systems.

Tore

Thanks Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

SUper charger question Empty blower

Post  blown473 January 7th 2010, 11:53 pm

It all depends on what you are trying to do. Street? Strip only? Ford had paxton style blowers on cars in the 50's (Fairlane and T-Bird) These motors were over 300hp on cast parts. Their modern counter parts (Cobra, Shelby, Lightining, GT) all use forged internals. If its purely for looks you can use cheaper parts. If you are going to really push the boost, you need good parts. Since supercharging a motor usually results in big power gains, the motor has to be built to handle that, and the extra heat it will generate. On the flip side of the equation a supercharger pressurizes air through the heads, so giant lift cams are rarely needed thus your valve train lives longer. The boosted air flow actually has a cushioning effect on valves closing and on the pistons as well , so there are some indirect benefits to the engine. Forged pistons are basically mandatory. Depending on the drive ratio selected, the skys the limit on how high you want to rev: that is if you have a big enough carb(s) or injection and enough fuel it will go till something breaks. Thats where you have to buy the parts to make it strong enough to get it to go where you want it to. For the track 4 bolt mains, forged crank, H-beam rods, Forged pistons, you get the idea... The cooling system as well will need to be top notch. Theres many guys on the forum running blown, and I'm sure they would all be glad to help with some knowledge, so if you have questions post them and I'm sure someone will respond.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori January 8th 2010, 12:23 am

You need to build the bottom end to hold "XXX" horsepower. The bottom end doesn't really care what is putting that HP there, just that it has to hold it.

An 800hp engine will need pretty much the same bottom end whether its N/A, Turbo, Blower or NOS. NOS is a bit more violent on parts. Cam will need to be spec'ed specificly for the application.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down