BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

84 CJ7 258 I6 - wont start

2 posters

Go down

84 CJ7 258 I6 - wont start Empty 84 CJ7 258 I6 - wont start

Post  IcallhimGeorge January 25th 2010, 9:30 pm

Sorry for bringing this here guys but my Offroad and general BS forums I belong to havent been any help.

Im trying to help out a buddy with his new CJ but the thing wont crank...maybe Im missing something.

I know the jeep was running last weekend. The previous owner(real idiot) drove it to the local steak house. He was pissed off because the battery was dead so my buddy bought it right there in the parking lot as is.

Motor spins strong now that it has a good battery. All the plug wires and plugs are firing. Fuel pump is pumping fuel to the carb. If its got compression, fire, and fuel it should at least be firing even if the timing is jacked up.

The PO had some kind of kmart special 1-5psi fuel pressure regulator inline between the factory mechanical fuel pump set on 1.5psi so I bypassed it with new fuel line and filter. It also appears hes bypassed all the egr off the side of the carb but I doubt thats causing the issues.

Any thoughts?

One more thing to add...
the firing order based on the Chiltons manual suggest a 74-up inline 6 but the OP had it set as a 72-74. Ive tried it both ways and neither has helped.
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

84 CJ7 258 I6 - wont start Empty Re: 84 CJ7 258 I6 - wont start

Post  bbf-falcon January 25th 2010, 11:42 pm

It's either flooded/Fouled out the plugs or the spark is too weak.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge January 26th 2010, 12:26 pm

alright.

Ill have him pick up a coil and some plugs today and we'll give that a try.

Thanks Rick! Ive got to get this turd out of my yard. I dont want its gremlins to jump on the 521 No
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down