BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intake for an 8V71 blower - Any ideas?

+2
jasonf
Jaybob
6 posters

Go down

Intake for an 8V71 blower - Any ideas? Empty Intake for an 8V71 blower - Any ideas?

Post  Jaybob February 27th 2010, 9:11 pm

Short of fabricating something, I like to find out if any aftermarket intakes exist for an 8V71 GMC blower. I am building a blown 429 and this 8V71 is the blower I have. Yes this is the case that has the 3 angled bolts on each side. I would appreciate any help on this... Thanks!

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Intake for an 8V71 blower - Any ideas? Empty Re: Intake for an 8V71 blower - Any ideas?

Post  jasonf February 27th 2010, 9:29 pm

Yeah Blue Thunder makes one. BDS also makes one that looks very similar to the BT unit. Everyone elses is a welded modified 4 bbl intake.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Intake for an 8V71 blower - Any ideas? Empty Re: Intake for an 8V71 blower - Any ideas?

Post  Jaybob February 27th 2010, 10:20 pm

Thanks!

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 28th 2010, 12:45 am

Yes,

Those two companies make an intake manifold for blowers on Ford style OEM heads, however they are for the coventional 6-71 pattern housing. In regards to the GMC angled bolt 8-71 deal,,,nobody anywhere makes a blower manifold for the GMC 8-71 housing. The longer rotors of an 8-71 are used in aftermarket longer 6-71 style cases for the hot rod industry.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybob February 28th 2010, 11:09 am

Thanks Charlie!
Looks like I'll be fabbin' my own...
Cheers...

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Intake for an 8V71 blower - Any ideas? Empty 8V71 manifold

Post  blown473 February 28th 2010, 12:17 pm

Dyers used to make a manifold for that blower. They had a plate made for the angled bolts that they welded to a single 4 or tunnel ram base, you might see if they can still make you up one or even just the plate to start your fabrication process. Those blowers were real common on the old Detroit diesels , so back in the 1970's alot were being used on V-8's . If you look closely in some old hot rod magazines you will see a few on cars of the day.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 3rd 2010, 8:34 am

c.evans wrote:Yes,

Those two companies make an intake manifold for blowers on Ford style OEM heads, however they are for the coventional 6-71 pattern housing. In regards to the GMC angled bolt 8-71 deal,,,nobody anywhere makes a blower manifold for the GMC 8-71 housing. The longer rotors of an 8-71 are used in aftermarket longer 6-71 style cases for the hot rod industry.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

Thanks for the correction Charlie. I miss-understood the "GMC" part of the equation reffering to a stock blower case. Is it possible to just make an adapter plate to sandwich in between the blower and the manifold?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybob March 5th 2010, 10:36 am

I thought about mounting a "typical" blower manifold and making an adapter plate to bolt to it. But that would look just like what it would be, an abortion... I'll spend the time designing it in 3D CAD, (Solidworks is what I have), and see what it would take to have a 3D wax pattern made and then have it investment cast... I'm already designing the blower "hat" that I want to make, so why not the manifold as well...

Sometimes it very handy to be a designer... But NOT being a machinist usually cost me...

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 10th 2010, 11:47 am

Post up some pics of your progress it will be neat to see.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybob March 15th 2010, 9:25 am

Will do!

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 15th 2010, 4:10 pm

Jaybob wrote:I thought about mounting a "typical" blower manifold and making an adapter plate to bolt to it. But that would look just like what it would be, an abortion... I'll spend the time designing it in 3D CAD, (Solidworks is what I have), and see what it would take to have a 3D wax pattern made and then have it investment cast... I'm already designing the blower "hat" that I want to make, so why not the manifold as well...

Sometimes it very handy to be a designer... But NOT being a machinist usually cost me...

If you are going to go to all that trouble wouldn't it be easier to use a regular 871 case with right bolt configuration?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybob March 15th 2010, 4:51 pm

jasonf wrote:
Jaybob wrote:I thought about mounting a "typical" blower manifold and making an adapter plate to bolt to it. But that would look just like what it would be, an abortion... I'll spend the time designing it in 3D CAD, (Solidworks is what I have), and see what it would take to have a 3D wax pattern made and then have it investment cast... I'm already designing the blower "hat" that I want to make, so why not the manifold as well...

If you are going to go to all that trouble wouldn't it be easier to use a regular 871 case with right bolt configuration?

Well, now there's the real problem... I have issues with doing things the easy way! Wink Besides, what's the fun in doing what nearly everyone else does... In the end, hopefully I'll have some way cool blower hat and a manifold that can be reproduced for others as well...

Cheers!

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain April 1st 2010, 9:52 am

The story is that there is no 871 engine. The only Detroit Diesel engine with 8 71 cubic inch cylinders was an 8V71 and that came with the weird angle bolt case so that it would fit on top of the engine between the V. They don't look too bad as a hot rod blower case and there were some guys who used the 6V71 cases in a similar way.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down