BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

+25
72mav
jesse
Nevs
Ranch71460
schmitty
cool40
'65 T-BOLT
richter69
DILLIGASDAVE
res0rli9
Copperhead
BigBlockRanger
jones
511Fox
70bbftorino
Paul-uk
jbozzelle
bbf-falcon
billandlori
bruno
dfree383
Northwest outlaw
bb429power
69F100
ThndrChkn
29 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

Post  jones April 6th 2010, 9:59 pm

I am really fascinated with your idea. I 'd love to do a strut front but couldn't figure out how to tie it into the factory frame. I'll have to study what you have done! I guess you can always get lowering spindles and shorter springs if the ride heigth isn't smack on.

jones

Back to top Go down

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

Post  jones April 7th 2010, 10:26 pm

Do you think this would work?
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 2 7102
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 2 7104
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 2 127

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 7th 2010, 11:59 pm

Either one of those would work. The 2nd one is "similar" to what I'm doing, but a little different. Today I picked up my brakes, struts, & spindles. The rest will be here Tuesday of next week. After that, it's gonna get busy here. Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 2 Empty Keep Us posted

Post  511Fox April 8th 2010, 10:05 am

Good work and keep us posted.

511Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger April 8th 2010, 10:18 am

AJE makes an F150 strut front end.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/faq-section-gen-1-trucks-check-here-first/203273-aje.html

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-lightnings/203312-strut-frt-ends.html

Good install pics here from Copperhead:
http://www.nloc.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=2007
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 8th 2010, 11:06 am

I would've loved to do that swap. But unfortunatley, Keith (Copperhead) told me how much that set-up costs. Shocked Mine's gonna take more work, but it'll be a little lighter by the time I get the lightweight brakes and struts installed. If our calculations are correct, the truck "should" be less than 3000# with me in it this year. And, I'm in this set-up a 1/3 of the cost. Wink Besides, it's cool to be just a little different. Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger April 8th 2010, 11:44 am

Gotcha. I haven't priced those AJE front ends, but wanted you and jones to know they were out there if you didn't already know.

Very Happy
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 8th 2010, 2:15 pm

Not a problem. Those are definitely a nice set-up for sure. Just a little out of my price range. Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  jones April 8th 2010, 2:28 pm

Ya, I have been told that for the complete setup your going to be looking at $3,000

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 8th 2010, 2:50 pm

Yyyyep! That's the one. Laughing

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger April 8th 2010, 4:09 pm

ooowie.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead April 8th 2010, 4:20 pm

jones wrote:Ya, I have been told that for the complete setup your going to be looking at $3,000

You won't get them for anywhere close to that price anymore.

I gave 3k for mine, but I found a brand new Chrome-Moly one (mocked-up only) up in Indy. Guy decided to go with a full tube chassis.

If you don't get in on some type of a group buy with AJE, you can expept to pay up to 4500 (including the shipping) if you opt for the Moly over Mild steel, like this guy.
http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-lightnings/205134-its-here.html

The kits are made-to-order and take a long, long time to get.

BTW Doug, your's is looking good. Keep up the good work and be sure to post plenty of pics. Smile
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 15th 2010, 11:15 pm

OK guys, I was finally able to get something done on the truck today. Yesterday, I recieved the last of my frontend parts, so I thought I'd dive into it this afternoon. I got the tubular K-Member mounted in place, ride height set, & also got my strut mounts mocked up with some 22 ga. sheetmetal, so now I can use them as a template to get the steel ones made. Here's a couple pics:
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 2 Cid__0415001446a
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 2 Cid__0415001446
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 2 Cid__0415002051

I'll post some more as I get it done. Hopefully, I can get the strut mounts done this weekend. Then the rest is cake. Wink

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw April 15th 2010, 11:23 pm

Looking good Doug sorry i wasnt able to make the trip up looks like you are getting it done. That thing is going to fly. Twisted Evil
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 15th 2010, 11:39 pm

Good progress Doug!!

It sure "looks" a bunch lighter!! Wow, look at all the room your going to have!! Cool

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 16th 2010, 12:31 am

It's a little lighter Bill. Light enough that I can grab the front crossmember and lift the front of the truck off the jack stands, and pivot it on the rear tires. Very Happy Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 April 16th 2010, 2:46 am

ThndrChkn wrote:It's a little lighter Bill. Light enough that I can grab the front crossmember and lift the front of the truck off the jack stands, and pivot it on the rear tires. Very Happy Very Happy

Doug... Cool

WELL that mite not mean much seeing how you are a Champion Dead lifter cheers

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones April 16th 2010, 3:12 am

That looks awsome, I can't wait to see what it looks like with the wheels a sheetmetal on. It looks like the springs are extra long, what length and weight?

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 16th 2010, 7:22 am

The springs have no compression on them right now. I need to get the top plates finished 1st, so I can get it buttoned up. The springs are a 14"x175# spring rate. If all of my figures are right, this is going to put me really close as a starting point. Hopefully I'll have it done by the end of this month. That's my goal anyway, but we all know how that is, huh? Laughing Laughing

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 16th 2010, 8:18 am

Don't forget that any positive/negative caster angle numbers taken directly off any Fox design strut cartridge body it's self (or the outer threaded spring seat adjuster) are going to be "off" just a little & not be the actual "true" caster numbers since Fox body struts bolt to the spindle foward of dead center. The "true" caster angle is always going to be the imaginary pivot centerline drawn through the top strut mounting point/bushing & running down through the bottom ball joint.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 16th 2010, 8:26 am

Roger that, I was thinking about that yesterday while mocking it up. Thanks Dave, for the reminder.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 16th 2010, 5:30 pm

You might need to fab a brace to connect the top of the stuts together...................mine had a good bit of flex even with all the bracing I had. If you could tie them together with the front motorplate that would work also, but I'd still check it and add one if still needed.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 16th 2010, 6:11 pm

Duely noted Jon. I drew up a couple designs a few days ago. Just gonna wait til the strut mounts are done, and see which looks better.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT April 18th 2010, 12:58 am

looks really good Doug! I like your new idea with the fox body set up. I run fox struts on the 65 Fairlane.
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 20th 2010, 8:58 pm

Well, not much new on the truck this week. (So far anyway) But if things go right, I'll have all 4's on the ground by Monday of next week. Very Happy Very Happy

I'll keep y'all posted.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next