BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AOD behind a BBF

+5
whitefield
8liter
IDT-572
somethingclever
windsor
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AOD behind a BBF - Page 2 Empty Re: AOD behind a BBF

Post  Greg_P September 13th 2009, 7:01 pm

Doesn't the one piece input shaft do away with the lockup function on an AOD?

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer September 14th 2009, 12:23 am

windsor wrote:I copied this from another site...I hope the author doesn't mind! It could probably use some updating as there are a few companies out there now building some stout AOD and 4R70/AOD-E trannies.
===============================================

I've been using a Lentech Strip Terminator AOD transmission in my '78 Bronco, successfully for years. No electronics, just a throttle valve cable! (The AODE can't be built as strong.) I LOVE IT! Truly a world class piece of workmanship. I will never use any other transmission. Mine is the Stage 1 Strip Terminator AOD capable of 1000 horsepower. They make a Stage 2 AOD capable of 1500 horsepower. I first had an Art Carr AOD built for this application, but I blew it up in less than a year. Then I got serious and had Dynamic Racing Transmissions http://www.dynamicracingtrans.com/ (North Branford,CT) build the Lentech Strip Terminator AOD. (Not affiliated with Lentech Automatics in Canada, but they often work together.) No comparison...I've beat the heck out of this tranny and never had a problem.

This transmission was behind my mild (high torque truck) 466" for years and it's now behind a fresh, potent 508" engine. The low first gear of the wide ratio planetary gearset (2.84:1) and the pushbutton overdrive (.70:1) really give you the best of both worlds (if it's a street vehicle). (I don't like the E4OD...too heavy, too long, too much drag, requires expensive conversion electronics and can't be built as strong.)

Here's some quick specs:
Lentech Stage 1 Strip Terminator AOD, fully automatic (gearshift selectable 1st, 2nd and 3rd with pushbutton overdrive), JW SFI Ultra-Bell, Dynamic Racing Trans TCT 10" 2600 rpm stall (non-lock up) torque convertor, Vasco hardened one piece input shaft, FRPP wide ratio planetary gearset (2.84 1st 1.55 2nd 1:1 3rd .70 overdrive), Lokar stainless steel braided throttle valve cable kit, Lokar stainless steel braided flexible dipstick, finned aluminum deep oil pan (2 quart extra capacity), very large (48 pass) Tru-Cool transmission fluid cooler with Aeroquip -6 AN fittings & stainless steel flex hose, CSR Torque Master flexplate, transmission can withstand 1000 horsepower.

Here are two links:
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodproducts.html
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/striptrans.html

I highly recommend using the JW Ultra-Bell (adapter bellhousing). If you decide against their adapter bell housing, then the Lentech adapter plate is the next best method of adaptation. It is 5/8" thick and won't flex. I feel it is the best AOD to 460 adapter plate on the market; besides the JW Ultra-Bell. (Don't ask me how I know...I first made the mistake of buying the Art Carr 3/8" thick adapter plate.)

If you want the installation details, you can read my Complete Overdrive Conversion Article here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/9/063/article/Complete_Overdrive_Conversion_for_7879_Ford_Bronco.html

The JW Ultra-Bell (adapter bellhousing) #92454-AOD is the best way to bolt the AOD to a 400/460 engine (it's installed by cutting the small block bellhousing off the transmission case and bolting the adapter bellhousing to the front pump). Using the JW Ultra-Bell will also require the use of a custom 10" torque converter. If this is too expensive, then the Lentech 5/8" thick adapter plate (as opposed to Art Carr's & others 3/8" thick adapter plate) is the next best method.

I further strengthened my Art Carr adapter plate by fabricating a threaded stud (7/16" fine threads on transmission side - 7/16" course threads on engine side) and elongating the driver side lowest bellhousing bolt hole outward. This enables the engine block, adapter plate and the transmission to be bolted (stud & nut) together. This is necessary when using the AOD-to-460 adapter plate to prevent cracking the flexplate due to the transmission flexing/hinging away from the engine (on the adapter plate bolts) due to the lack of rigidity on the driver side lower mounting. Without my modification, there isn't any mounting support on the driver lower side of the bellhousing; because this area of the adapter plate doesn't bolt to the transmission. If this confuses you, please feel free to email me for further details.

The upgrade/purchase of a Lentech Strip Terminator is absolutely necessary. Please don't make the same mistake I made originally. The Lentech secret is in their 'reverse-third technology' valvebody (it's the solution to even the 'performance AOD's' weak link). I also always use synthetic transmission fluid in my transmissions.

Yes, That was Danny Cabral ... here is the link in case anyone wants it...
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96936
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor September 14th 2009, 4:21 am

longroofracer wrote:

Yes, That was Danny Cabral ... here is the link in case anyone wants it...
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96936

Yeah...I didn't want to use his name without his permission...as dumb as that may sound.

Greg, yes, the one peice input shaft does eliminate lock up function I believe.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor September 14th 2009, 4:27 am

88tbird wrote:Wow. I am so interested in this now. I was looking for an E4OD for my 460 swap........ I am now interested in the AOD swap. How does the TV cable hook up to the TB on a 460 EFI? Do I need a special cable?

What kind of efi/throttle body you using?

Most people use the Lokar cables for the Throttle Valve installation http://www.lokar.com/product-descriptions/stainless-hitech-kd-kits.htm I think you could make it work on just about any application, but it may take a bit of jerry rigging.

It's a manual adjustment...AOD's don't use electronics for shifts. I'm using a manual valve body so no cables get hooked up anywhere, except for the shifter.

Try a google search on Lokar AOD or something like that and a lot of pages come up you can get ideas from. Hope that helps.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  88tbird September 17th 2009, 12:10 am

windsor wrote:
88tbird wrote:Wow. I am so interested in this now. I was looking for an E4OD for my 460 swap........ I am now interested in the AOD swap. How does the TV cable hook up to the TB on a 460 EFI? Do I need a special cable?

What kind of efi/throttle body you using?

Most people use the Lokar cables for the Throttle Valve installation http://www.lokar.com/product-descriptions/stainless-hitech-kd-kits.htm I think you could make it work on just about any application, but it may take a bit of jerry rigging.

It's a manual adjustment...AOD's don't use electronics for shifts. I'm using a manual valve body so no cables get hooked up anywhere, except for the shifter.

Try a google search on Lokar AOD or something like that and a lot of pages come up you can get ideas from. Hope that helps.

I was going to stay with the truck EFI and TB set up. I thought you had to have the TV cable hooked up if you run the AOD?
I will check out Lokar.
88tbird
88tbird

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor September 17th 2009, 3:41 am

If you use a full manual valve body you don't need the TV cable. But, if you want to keep automatic shifting ability, you will need a TV cable. The Lokar one is supposed to be good.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  88tbird September 17th 2009, 8:44 pm

Awesome. Thanks. So tell me about the drivabillity of the AOD behind the 460.
88tbird
88tbird

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor September 18th 2009, 4:29 am

I'll tell you in a few years when I get the car running.........

Crying or Very sad No Sad
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  88tbird September 18th 2009, 9:39 pm

Damn. I was hoping a little sooner.
88tbird
88tbird

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 18th 2009, 11:24 pm

windsor wrote:I'll tell you in a few years when I get the car running.........

Man you are living my life. Maybe it is a Falcon thing. lol!
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  8liter March 14th 2010, 9:15 pm

windsor wrote:I'll tell you in a few years when I get the car running.........

Why dont you let me borrow it and I'll tell you how it works... I'll even pay shipping! Laughing
8liter
8liter

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor March 15th 2010, 7:00 am

I probably wouldn't mind if the guy doing my body work didn't need it for mock-up! Oh, you'd have to buy a converter, too...cuz I don't have that yet! $$$
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum