BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let the 466 mayhem begin...

+22
dirt_worker
1970 ford maverick
Mike R
schmitty
nuclearcobra
bruno
Mark Miller
TravisRice
56Tbird
bbf-falcon
501ranger
Tony M
audietorino72
72mav
blown86hallet
lghting94
res0rli9
69F100
Maddmattmustangs
billandlori
ThndrChkn
bb429power
26 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Let the 466 mayhem begin... Empty Let the 466 mayhem begin...

Post  bb429power August 2nd 2010, 10:41 pm

Block is back home....again. Had to take it back because the cam bearings weren't in. Mad I spent all of the day (I got up really late though) cleaning the block and painting it. The guy st the shop let me borrow a pipe cleaner for the lifter galleys and a hone for the lifter bores (to clean some light rust). She's gloss black and I have the plugs in the engine, not the freeze plugs on the side though. I'm waiting to get brass one's. I was going to get the bottom end in but, not rear main seal. It will come with the gasket set. I'm a little peeved that I asked to have the quench set at 0 but I was told it had been set at either 5 or 10 in the hole. Plus the gaskets the shop is ordering is going to have thicker head gaskets than I had in mind. So my compression will be low, too low in my opinion. It will be fine but I really wanted a bigger squeeze. Pictures soon to come.

When I got the truck it looked like this. 67 f100 long bed, 2wd.
Let the 466 mayhem begin... Picture011

I'm hoping for it to look like this but in long bed form. Gloss black and metallic green, it will look sweet. Just wait, oh and it will have widened stock rims on it. Painted green. Very Happy
Let the 466 mayhem begin... 0202_01z1969_ford_f100front_side_vi

Last edited by bb429power on November 9th 2010, 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Let the 466 mayhem begin... Empty Re: Let the 466 mayhem begin...

Post  ThndrChkn August 3rd 2010, 2:02 am

Cool deal Justin. Can't wait to see it when it's all done.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 3rd 2010, 4:31 am

It's always cool when the parts start coming together!! Take your time and check, re-check, and check again! My buddy used to build his engines with the doors locked and the music down low. He didn't want any distractions. He had built lots of engines but he checked every spec every time.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 3rd 2010, 5:09 pm

Let me correct a mistake, I asked him how much he had cut the deck and he said " 5 or 10, I'll have to check". So it might be at 0 quench Very Happy I'll probably be in mid to high 8's compression wise Crying or Very sad I wanted 9 or more as a bear minimum. We cc'd the chambers after the valves were in and it was 80.4 but we cleaned up the chambers since then. Plus he's ordering a head gasket in the 50 thou range. We figured the compression ratio to be 9.2 before we cleaned up the chambers and that was with a 22cc piston and I think a 47 thou head gasket. Now they are 25cc pistons, but these are Diamond's and that means they're forged Twisted Evil This way with a low squeeze I can run more timing and less octane (if I need to) and have my peace of mind. I want to run a lot of timing but the track will say whats a good setting for me.

The thing I like is that when I first got the truck, even before I had the truck that is. I knew the engine size in it and I looked in the Jegs magazine we had (didn't ever order from them, and we didn't know about summit then) and I picked out engine parts. I had no clue when it came to engines because I had no experience. I was clueless at the time, I was about to turn 14 in a couple months. If I look back at the magazine and what I had highlighted, amongst the highlighted parts I had some that I knew I wanted for sure. These parts were...
-Lunati voodoo cam and lifter kit
-Harland Sharp roller rockers
-Weiand stealth intake
-Hooker areo chamber mufflers
-B&M light truck shifter
and some other stuff that I'm not 100% sure of. And I didn't try to stick with these parts at all, when I picked out parts I compared every single part for what I wanted to do and what best suited my needs. And by chance I ended up with a lunati bm II cam and lifter kit, weiand stealth, HS rockers, and I'm going to get the B&M shifter and Hooker maxflow's.

So it kind of seems like something was pushing me in the right direction weather I knew it or not. I had other parts that I was going to get that matched what I had highlighted and I think I had the comp cams springs and Manley valves circled. That's what I have now. silent *Twilight music starts playing* I can't wait to hear her purrrrr, my goal in this build from day one was to have as much low end power possible without sacrificing top end power. I wanted a radical idle, and that's exactly what this combo will be like. Just as planned, sorry if i got a little carried away with typing Laughing
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 4th 2010, 12:03 am

What b&m shifter are you getting? I've got a ratchet in the mustang. LOVE IT.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 4th 2010, 12:15 am

Maddmattmustangs wrote:What b&m shifter are you getting? I've got a ratchet in the mustang. LOVE IT.
I'm getting the light truck ratchet shifter, its the mega shifter but just with a taller skirt for trucks. I have a mega shifter in my maverick and cougar, gotta love it. Not skipping into drive from 1st like the stock setup. I thought about getting one of their other ones with the ball on top and the lever in front of it, but I'm getting the other one and I've already got a handle with a button on it. Why a button? So I don't have to set my brakes on fire when I win the HS nationals burnout contest. Laughing Line lock, if I had the money it would be for a trans brake.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 4th 2010, 12:25 am

Ah. I got the universal ratchet. My line lock buttons Nice and out of sight Laughing
Besides, you probably have the largest engine in the parking lot Very Happy
Have fun with the build!! Hope I can polish up my sb. And get back on my sleeper engine cheers
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 4th 2010, 12:35 am

The only time that beast is going to school is when I show it off to my auto teacher. Or to show my friends, that is if I make friends who actually give a crap about cars. I don't want to sound smug, but I don't want kids to get jealous that they don't have a cool hot rod like me and key it. Kids here are getting brand new 2011 cars, they're so spoiled I just want to kick someone in the face! Mad I'm glad I'm not like the rest of our generation.

And thanks by the way, good luck to you too. Very Happy
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 4th 2010, 12:45 am

I had a guy key my car last year. Beat his camaro the night before, I got suspended for 5 days Shocked
But he also didn't get to use his hand for awhile Laughing

I have a few real good friends here that love older cars. Ones restoring his 65 fastback mustang. Complete with original I-6.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 4th 2010, 12:50 am

Maddmattmustangs wrote:I had a guy key my car last year. Beat his camaro the night before, I got suspended for 5 days Shocked
But he also didn't get to use his hand for awhile Laughing

I have a few real good friends here that love older cars. Ones restoring his 65 fastback mustang. Complete with original I-6.
A kid I knew (kind of dumb though) had a 65 mustang coupe that he just got with a cracked I-6. He knew just about nothing with cars and he and his dad got it for them to fix up, he was always coming to me for answers. Good to hear he got a punishment! Twisted Evil I have a story to type up, but it migh take a little time so I'll save it for tomorrow. Smile Not something that happened to me though.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 4th 2010, 12:56 am

I was getting praised for "modifying" the guys hand by the student body. Considering he was 6'2 and I'm only 5'7 ish Laughing
Actually I just flat out broke it. If anyone touches your ride let me know and I'll fly up and modify that person as well.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 4th 2010, 1:03 am

Maddmattmustangs wrote:I was getting praised for "modifying" the guys hand by the student body. Considering he was 6'2 and I'm only 5'7 ish Laughing
Actually I just flat out broke it. If anyone touches your ride let me know and I'll fly up and modify that person as well.
I wish I could do that to someone, most people act like I'm not threat whatsoever. BUT I did snap at a senior kid after mid terms in auto class, he had been giving me crap. He's a TOTAL moron, you wouldn't believe how dumb he was. The smartest thing he did was try to put a bolt WAY to long for a bolt hole in the head and hit it with a hammer. Anyways, I was in 10th grade and I though he was a junior, I guess he was a senior. I tried beating him up but the teacher came in before I got to him, he and two other kids kept their mouths shut after that. Before they also gave me crap. I want to know how to modify a hand, just in case Laughing What the heck did you do to the guy? Dang!
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 4th 2010, 5:14 pm

He went to slap me lol
So on it's way to my face I grabbed it, bent the fingers back so hard and fast that things poped tendons tore, then I just gave it a good squeeze. (things move around after that) The average human bone breaks under 9 1/2 pounds per square inch of side load. Average human can generate up to 800 lbs per square inch. Helps to have grown up a mixed martial artiest but that doesn't count Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 4th 2010, 8:59 pm

I know what you mean about your truck back in the late 90's Old Blue was one of the fastest trucks around town I put it this way it was never out run came close a couple times.

Let the 466 mayhem begin... IM000538
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 4th 2010, 11:43 pm

How much power and do you know its 1/4 mile time? I have a guy two hours up with a 72 I think it was. Its a longbed with wide wheels and a ford crate motor, I want to race him. That would be so cool to race a truck just like your own, he built it kind of similar too. Your truck looks great by the way, had to be cool to have the fastest truck in town. I think mine will be the fastest around here and there are some older ford trucks by me. A guy a street over has a 72 f100, I can't wait to get my truck done. I want to go over there and check out his truck and talk to him for a bit, but he may not be that way. By the way, some punk kids were going around stealing stuff and next thing I knew his truck had a broken drivers window. I first saw the truck at the muffler shop then I saw it in his driveway and he had just bought it. It looks original style and he hasn't had it too long, I want to talk to him about places to get parts. Its still broken I think, and he hasn't taken it out recently for some reason.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 6th 2010, 6:05 pm

Oh, almost forgot about that story. Anyway, on another forum this younger guy posted this story. It was about his friend who came out to the HS parking lot to find all 4 of his Dick Cepek mud county tires slashed. He was confronted by a kid and he said that he had parked in his spot. Evil or Very Mad There aren't assigned spots, not only that but is it really that big of a deal? Back to the story, the next day the kid with the truck wasn't in class. His friend thought he wasn't there because he was pissed off about the situation.

Well I guess he was there, he was out in the parking lot taking the kids engine out of his car. Laughing He set it next to it and worked out a deall with the moron. 4 new tires and he would put the engine back in. Those tires aren't cheap either, if I remember correctly they are a $260 minimum for each. People are stupid Rolling Eyes But I would have to laugh like hell at that if I was there. Heck, I'd help him pull the engine out. Laughing
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 8th 2010, 11:44 pm

We had a guy that always parked his camaro by the shop loading area blocking it off and he always told the shop teacher to shove it. One day some of the guys went out and modified the car a bit. Just the basics, welded covers over the exhaust tips, removed the stereo and put it in the trunk, braised the trunk lock waited for him to try and start it Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 9th 2010, 1:25 pm

Shoot, I never posted pictures. Rolling Eyes
Let the 466 mayhem begin... P8030117
Let the 466 mayhem begin... P8030114
Let the 466 mayhem begin... P7170105
Let the 466 mayhem begin... P7170110
Let the 466 mayhem begin... P7170108
Let the 466 mayhem begin... P7170109
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 August 9th 2010, 6:34 pm

looking good

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 13th 2010, 12:13 am

Gasket set came in today, you know what that means......... Twisted Evil Very Happy
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 August 13th 2010, 12:26 am

Get er Done

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 13th 2010, 8:32 pm

Yep now get to work on it I want to see a vid of it running by sunday Twisted Evil lol!
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 13th 2010, 10:37 pm

res0rli9 wrote:Get er Done
Yes sir! *salutes*

69F100 wrote:Yep now get to work on it I want to see a vid of it running by sunday Twisted Evil lol!
The hell man? I though i was going to take my time, just so tempting. Razz I still have to gather some parts, balancer, timing cover, pickup has to go back since they gave me the wrong one. I have to get a degree kit, waiting on brass freeze plugs but the screw in one's are in minus one. Heads need to come back from the shop, I will clean the cylinders and star tapping the pistons in. The crank is in, that puppy is tough to get in when it has to be lifted over main cap studs. affraid Can only imagine what a forged 4.5" crank would be like.

I can't wait to hear it fire for the first time, I'm going to set it on the frame and start it to break it in so its not just sitting there and oil isn't dripping off the cam. Then I'll start it every now and then so its not just sitting there, plus its my baby! My machinist said he really likes that idea. I'm going to his shop tomorrow to clean up and he'll take some off the bill. I already cleaned it a couple weeks ago, a lot of metal shavings and dust. But he's giving me a good deal, teaching me stuff, and he appreciates it. He said "I know it sucks" but it is a way to knock some off the bill.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 August 14th 2010, 12:30 am

cool deal treading on some of the labor Cool
Don't forget ...Take Your Time... Smile

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 15th 2010, 6:55 pm

1-4 are in! What took the most time to do was cleaning the cylinders. I got up really really late though because of the very long day yesterday. I would have had them all in if I got up at an earlier time, but I'll get them in tomorrow.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next