BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC Shorty Headers on BBF w/ A460 heads

+4
bbf-falcon
jbozzelle
rmcomprandy
96Mustang460cid
8 posters

Go down

BBC Shorty Headers on BBF w/ A460 heads Empty BBC Shorty Headers on BBF w/ A460 heads

Post  96Mustang460cid August 22nd 2010, 11:07 am

Do BBC shorty headers fit on a 10.2" deck BBF that has A460 heads? I understand the chassis may affect the fitment, but I don't know if the BBC headers have clearance issues with the block.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

BBC Shorty Headers on BBF w/ A460 heads Empty Re: BBC Shorty Headers on BBF w/ A460 heads

Post  rmcomprandy August 22nd 2010, 11:27 am

That all depends upon WHICH platform A460 heads are being used.

FRPP heads have "slightly spread apart" B.B. Chevy flange pattern.

Later TrickFlow heads have a flange pattern which directly use a B.B. Chevy flange pattern.

IDT eliminator heads use the port spacing of the FRPP heads yet have the bolt pattern like the TrickFlow heads.

I'm not familiar with which exhaust port or bolt pattern is used on the EX514 head; although it is based upon the B.B Chevy.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

BBC Shorty Headers on BBF w/ A460 heads Empty Re: BBC Shorty Headers on BBF w/ A460 heads

Post  jbozzelle August 22nd 2010, 12:53 pm

Are you looking at a certain brand/part number?

I would think you'd have trouble with certain block hugger styles for a street rod.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 22nd 2010, 1:03 pm

I'm not familiar with which exhaust port or bolt pattern is used on the EX514 head; although it is based upon the B.B Chevy.[/quote]

They are the same as A heads

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 22nd 2010, 1:12 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:

I'm not familiar with which exhaust port or bolt pattern is used on the EX514 head; although it is based upon the B.B Chevy.

They are the same as A heads[/quote]

These are ALL "A" heads Rick but, their exhaust ports and exhaust bolt patterns ARE different. (There are also "A" heads with a Ford exhaust; although rare),
What EXACTLY is the exhaust side of an EX514 head...?

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2010, 1:26 pm

The new TFS "A" are bbc centers . The EX are bbf centers as are the original TFS and Ford M-S .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid August 22nd 2010, 11:53 pm

Guys, I have the new style Trick Flow A460's. I don't have a specific header brand or part # in mind. I didn't know if BBC vs. BBF block differences allowed a simple yes/no answer.

Have a good day!
Michael

Edit: A little more background info ---> I am atleast a year from getting my truck running. The problem is not the $$$...it's the lack of time to do all the fabricating. I'm trying to see what it would take to get this project running in NA form (as opposed to turbo). Then, as time allows, I can fabricate the turbo parts. Internally, I would build the engine exactly the same. That way, when I finished building the turbo parts, I could simply bolt the turbo, cold side, hot side, blow through carb, ect onto the engine and start tuning the turbocharged version.

The headers are one part of this equation...

Last edited by 96Mustang460cid on August 23rd 2010, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding info)
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair August 23rd 2010, 1:28 am

Have the headers fabbed for turbos right off the bat, it'll save you a lot of time and aggravation and then it's DONE.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 23rd 2010, 9:59 am

96Mustang460cid wrote:Guys, I have the new style Trick Flow A460's. I don't have a specific header brand or part # in mind. I didn't know if BBC vs. BBF block differences allowed a simple yes/no answer.

Have a good day!
Michael

Edit: A little more background info ---> I am atleast a year from getting my truck running. The problem is not the $$$...it's the lack of time to do all the fabricating. I'm trying to see what it would take to get this project running in NA form (as opposed to turbo). Then, as time allows, I can fabricate the turbo parts. Internally, I would build the engine exactly the same. That way, when I finished building the turbo parts, I could simply bolt the turbo, cold side, hot side, blow through carb, ect onto the engine and start tuning the turbocharged version.

The headers are one part of this equation...

With those heads, a BBC exhaust will fit.
Street Rod type "shorty's" should be fine. The flange webbing between the cylinders may need to be trimmed for spark plug access.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain August 24th 2010, 6:36 pm

EX heads have the "spread" big Chevy pattern whereas something like the Blue Thunder heads have an exact big Chevy layout. It can be seen if you look at the head. As you go from left to right the ports gain more and more of a to the left direction.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 24th 2010, 11:22 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:That all depends upon WHICH platform A460 heads are being used.

FRPP heads have "slightly spread apart" B.B. Chevy flange pattern.

Later TrickFlow heads have a flange pattern which directly use a B.B. Chevy flange pattern.

IDT eliminator heads use the port spacing of the FRPP heads yet have the bolt pattern like the TrickFlow heads.

the ex514 port is spaced a little father apart
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down