BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhaust cutouts?

+3
bb429power
LivermoreDave
Maddmattmustangs
7 posters

Go down

Exhaust cutouts? Empty Exhaust cutouts?

Post  Maddmattmustangs October 21st 2010, 5:12 pm

Would exhaust cutouts be worth any power mounted infront of a muffler like right after the header? Pipes a 3 1/2 so that would be the cutout size and a 3 inch reducer welded at the end.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Exhaust cutouts? Empty Re: Exhaust cutouts?

Post  LivermoreDave October 21st 2010, 9:47 pm

Several years ago NHRA dis-allowed tubular headers on the "Stockers". Several designs I had the opportunity to inspect simply had the "cut-out", if you will, installed in-line with the exhaust pipe just after the manifold. The muffler and the pipe that appeared to connect the muffler to the system was "T'd" off after the "cut-out". This allowed the "path-of-least-resistance" to follow the open "cut-out" and bypass the muffler!

******(ignore the asterisks)** >------ Muffler --->
************************** ^
Exhaust Manifold >-------> Cut Out >------->

My point is, install the opening of the "cut-out" in-line with the headers collector and "T" the exhaust pipe leading to the muffler on the side of the collector or the large diameter tubing you now call the "cut-out".

Damn, now I'm confused!
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs October 21st 2010, 9:51 pm

So install the muffler on the part that sticks out Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power October 21st 2010, 10:12 pm

Dave, I am so glad you see it the same way I do. I have always hated the design, the exhaust will want to keep flowing straight, not go out of its way to go through an open pipe off to the side. I have always wanted to make a better designed cut out because of this reason. Very Happy

That's why I have always liked the design of this x pipe that Jegs sells...
Exhaust cutouts? 555-30667
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs October 22nd 2010, 12:03 am

bb429power wrote:Dave, I am so glad you see it the same way I do. I have always hated the design, the exhaust will want to keep flowing straight, not go out of its way to go through an open pipe off to the side. I have always wanted to make a better designed cut out because of this reason. Very Happy

That's why I have always liked the design of this x pipe that Jegs sells...
Exhaust cutouts? 555-30667

That's exactly what I was thinking but makin sure I was on the right track Very Happy
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Beast October 25th 2010, 3:51 am

Another seller with the same concept.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170544274898&viewitem=
Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Exhaust cutouts? Empty cut out design

Post  wheelinhigh@aol.com July 29th 2012, 1:00 am

This may be a little off topic, but why does every one design cut outs the same way? With the free flowing part as a after thought, like a T. wouldn't that affect flow? If you think about flow like water, then the water that flows into the T section would be hitting the blocked off wall. Trying to bounce off instead of flowing strait when it is closed, causing back pressure. even when the section is open the flow would want to continue its path strait into the existing pipe instead of exiting the cut out. I think it should be a Y with the butterfly in the center to direct the flow not to block it. Any one else think this way or am i just loosing it?

wheelinhigh@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Beast July 29th 2012, 3:24 am

wheelinhigh@aol.com wrote:This may be a little off topic, but why does every one design cut outs the same way? With the free flowing part as a after thought, like a T. wouldn't that affect flow? If you think about flow like water, then the water that flows into the T section would be hitting the blocked off wall. Trying to bounce off instead of flowing strait when it is closed, causing back pressure. even when the section is open the flow would want to continue its path strait into the existing pipe instead of exiting the cut out. I think it should be a Y with the butterfly in the center to direct the flow not to block it. Any one else think this way or am i just loosing it?

I'm with you. I think that it's best to have the cutout on the straight through, and have the pipe continue on the angle into an x pipe. That way there is minimum restriction when you want full power. I went with a unit like this:

Exhaust cutouts? Cutout

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BadlanzHPE-Electric-Exhaust-Cutout-Cutouts-3-5-INCH-C-/180740378974?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a14f7515e
Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Post  wheelinhigh@aol.com July 29th 2012, 11:17 am

I see what your saying about the straight through layout i think that's a good way to keep the flow straight and smooth. even if my idea for the smoother butterfly in the middle does not add that much more flow, it will still be cheaper than trying to port and polish heads. i think its worth bringing up to a few CNC buddy's.

wheelinhigh@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheelinhigh@aol.com July 30th 2012, 8:03 pm

does any one have the mr.gasket cutout ? it looks from the pictures that the butterfly is in the middle. anyone have any idea what the insides look like ?
Exhaust cutouts? Zzzz11

wheelinhigh@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kim July 30th 2012, 8:46 pm

Its a simple butterfly valve/flap.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky July 30th 2012, 8:55 pm

The Mr. Gasket cut out is cast iron.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  Beast August 1st 2012, 4:10 am

I think that they only make them in 2 inch, or 2.5" or something. Too small IMO.
Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down