BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washer fell into oil pan (on top of windage tray)

+2
Tore
ford385
6 posters

Go down

Washer fell into oil pan (on top of windage tray) Empty Washer fell into oil pan (on top of windage tray)

Post  ford385 December 4th 2010, 5:30 pm

After pulling the intake to changed the lifters I started to remove the valve covers and a 1/4" washer dropped into the engine. It fell through the oil galley and sounds like it landed on top of the windage tray.

The plan is simply put the liffters in and see if it fixes my valve train noise, if not the motor will be pulled.

What do you think? Is it ok to run it long enough to break the lifters end and see if they fixed my problem or should I pull the pan?

ford385

Back to top Go down

Washer fell into oil pan (on top of windage tray) Empty Re: Washer fell into oil pan (on top of windage tray)

Post  Tore December 4th 2010, 5:46 pm

I had that happen and I pulled the distributor and ran a magnet with a wire down there and snaked it out.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Washer fell into oil pan (on top of windage tray) Empty Re: Washer fell into oil pan (on top of windage tray)

Post  ford385 December 4th 2010, 5:57 pm

Good idea Tore. If I can't get though, do you think it will be ok for the break-in process?

ford385

Back to top Go down

Post  darrin1999 December 4th 2010, 6:18 pm

why take the chance?

darrin1999

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird December 4th 2010, 6:34 pm

I don't know what you have the engine in ? But ,it won't hurt anything if it doesn't get into anything ?? It's a chance you take if you try it. That's why I've got both my cars to where I can pull the pan with the engine in them. Seems if there's something silly that can happen ...it usually does. I'd be willing to bet that it'll be lying in the bottom of the pan next time you tear it down...BUT you never know..Good luck, I'd get some beer and buddies and see who is lucky guy to fish it out of there!!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 4th 2010, 8:37 pm

If you think it might have made it to the bottom of the pan tkae a magnet and move it around on the bottom of the pan and see if you can hear it moving around on the pan.If you have a old magnet off a speaker you can use it if you turn it one way it will want to push away from the pan with it on the pushing side put it next to the pan and move it around if the washer is in the bottom you should beable to hear it.If you find it in the pan stick the magnet to where you find it it will hold it to the pan while you brake the lifters in.Maybe this will help you.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 5th 2010, 3:15 pm

Beyond trying with the magnet I think you would have to be crazy to start it not knowing where that washer is. The impossible can happen and the damage caused should it get somewhere it shouldn't be will cost you a fortune compared to the amount of free time to take the motor out and find it.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down