What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  jbozzelle on December 7th 2010, 9:38 am

Looking to start assembling the 514 and was curious what you guys are using to file rings? Hand file? Hand operated ring filer? Electric ring filer tool?

Let me know what works best...

jbozzelle

Posts: 2739
Join date: 2009-08-10
Age: 40
Location: New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  Lem Evans on December 7th 2010, 9:40 am

Hand operated ring filer.
The electric deals are cool but ...$s.

Lem Evans

Posts: 5703
Join date: 2008-12-03
Location: Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  s.hembree on December 7th 2010, 9:41 am

I use a hand operated ring filer. The electrics are a little too unforgiving to me...

s.hembree

Posts: 36
Join date: 2009-08-14
Age: 33
Location: Lowell, MI

View user profile http://www.bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  s.hembree on December 7th 2010, 9:42 am

Lol Lem beat me to the punch...

s.hembree

Posts: 36
Join date: 2009-08-14
Age: 33
Location: Lowell, MI

View user profile http://www.bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  bbf-falcon on December 7th 2010, 9:53 am

Lem Evans wrote:Hand operated ring filer.
The electric deals are cool but ...$s.
X2

bbf-falcon

Posts: 8076
Join date: 2008-12-03
Location: Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  rmcomprandy on December 7th 2010, 10:10 am

I hold the ring in two hands and use a sharp fine file clamped in a vice.

I have an ABS ring filer to use for Dykes and thin rings but for 1/16" and thicker it's just to slow.

rmcomprandy

Posts: 3209
Join date: 2008-12-02
Location: Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  bbf-falcon on December 7th 2010, 10:15 am

jbozzelle wrote:Looking to start assembling the 514 and was curious what you guys are using to file rings? Hand file? Hand operated ring filer? Electric ring filer tool?

Let me know what works best...

John,as you probably already know,which ever way you choose,make sure the ring is held square while filing and before installing on piston make sure you smooth off all sharp edges. Smile

bbf-falcon

Posts: 8076
Join date: 2008-12-03
Location: Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  Fatback on December 7th 2010, 11:08 am

I have used many ring filers over the years. Started out useing the hand file and vice deal, then upgraded to the hand crank deal, and several of the electric ones. I wouldn't sell my "Goodson" electric ring filer !!! By far the best ring filer on the market. Not the most expensive, but the best as far as accuracy, speed, repeatability goes. It probably wouldn't pay to buy one for just a couple of engines, but if you plan on doing several, it is my choice !!

Fatback

Posts: 61
Join date: 2010-01-26
Age: 52
Location: Valrico, Fl.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  jbozzelle on December 7th 2010, 12:15 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:Looking to start assembling the 514 and was curious what you guys are using to file rings? Hand file? Hand operated ring filer? Electric ring filer tool?

Let me know what works best...

John,as you probably already know,which ever way you choose,make sure the ring is held square while filing and before installing on piston make sure you smooth off all sharp edges. Smile


Kind of difficult to "square up" a round part now isn't it? Laughing Laughing

jbozzelle

Posts: 2739
Join date: 2009-08-10
Age: 40
Location: New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  richter69 on December 7th 2010, 12:57 pm

as stated I also use a 25 dollar jegs hand filer, done many sets, rind seal always been awsome..........just do one side and go slow.

richter69

Posts: 12877
Join date: 2008-12-02
Age: 43
Location: In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  dfree383 on December 7th 2010, 1:16 pm

I use a Proform electric deal, works fine. Alot better than doing them by hand.....

dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts: 10906
Join date: 2009-07-09
Location: Everywhere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  bbf-falcon on December 7th 2010, 7:33 pm

jbozzelle wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:Looking to start assembling the 514 and was curious what you guys are using to file rings? Hand file? Hand operated ring filer? Electric ring filer tool?

Let me know what works best...

John,as you probably already know,which ever way you choose,make sure the ring is held square while filing and before installing on piston make sure you smooth off all sharp edges. Smile


Kind of difficult to "square up" a round part now isn't it? Laughing Laughing

No,not really. If you don't know how to keep it square ,you'd better learn Smile

bbf-falcon

Posts: 8076
Join date: 2008-12-03
Location: Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  IDT-572 on December 7th 2010, 7:48 pm

As has been said, go slow even with the hand crank type, you can take off to much in a hurry. You can always take more off but you can't put it back on .................. Wink

IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts: 3915
Join date: 2008-12-02
Age: 53
Location: Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  jbozzelle on December 7th 2010, 8:18 pm

Gonna order a hand one tonight.

What's the rule of thumb for the gap? .004 per inch of bore?

jbozzelle

Posts: 2739
Join date: 2009-08-10
Age: 40
Location: New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's everyone using to file piston rings?

Post  richter69 on December 7th 2010, 8:28 pm

IDT-572 wrote:As has been said, go slow even with the hand crank type, you can take off to much in a hurry. You can always take more off but you can't put it back on .................. Wink


yep, even with my superhuman building skilz I got one or two a few thou bigger than I wanted.............didnt seem to matter much lol.

richter69

Posts: 12877
Join date: 2008-12-02
Age: 43
Location: In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum