BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

588 twin turbo with Profiler heads, could use a little help

3 posters

Go down

588 twin turbo with Profiler heads, could use a little help Empty 588 twin turbo with Profiler heads, could use a little help

Post  Filucky December 11th 2010, 9:33 pm

Heres what i got so far,

A460 block, 4.5 Scat forged crank and H-beam rods
Profiler heads (18 bolt) and C460 intake (Both ported by Charlie Evans) WW shaft rockers
Comp solid roller lifters, Dannybee belt drive, Aeromotive belt drive fuel pump
BW 475 turbos (1.32 exh) Kaaze oil pump, MSD dizzy

Lem is looking into the best way to get me a 9:1cr piston right now.

I talked to C&S about a blow thru carb and was told a 1400 dominator was going to be best.

I want this motor to run on pump gas and it will be in my jetboat with a max RPM of about 7000 since this is a lake boat and not a race boat, it will only see boost for a few seconds at a time maybe a handfull of times in a day of boating, so i want the motor to run strong when not in boost.
The big question is who has some hands on experiance with cams for a combo like this? I want to keep the lift around .700 to keep from tearing up valvetrain as fast.

Also will the 475's be big enough for me? i've read about a race cover and a hp-88 wheel upgrade that might be worth doing.

Looking to not run a IC but run a meth/water injection setup insted with a pressure switch to turn it on at a few pounds of boost.

What do you guys think? Any advise would be much appreciated, exspecially with the cam. Smile

Thanks, Dallas
Filucky
Filucky

Back to top Go down

588 twin turbo with Profiler heads, could use a little help Empty Re: 588 twin turbo with Profiler heads, could use a little help

Post  96Mustang460cid December 12th 2010, 11:19 am

How much hp are you shooting for? That will dictate your turbo requirements.

If this is in a boat, can't you run a water/air cooler? The lake water is an 'infinite' heat sink.

A 1,400 cfm dominator is HUGE for a blowthrough application. I highly doubt two S475s can make enough HP to require this large of a carb. CSU says their 850 cfm carb has fed 1,600+ hp. Once again, how much hp are you shooting for? Anticipated boost levels will affect this too, though.

If you're looking for max HP from this engine combo, I recommend getting a cam from a designer who does turbo grinds regularly.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

588 twin turbo with Profiler heads, could use a little help Empty Re: 588 twin turbo with Profiler heads, could use a little help

Post  Filucky December 12th 2010, 11:58 am

96Mustang460cid wrote:How much hp are you shooting for? That will dictate your turbo requirements.

If this is in a boat, can't you run a water/air cooler? The lake water is an 'infinite' heat sink.

A 1,400 cfm dominator is HUGE for a blowthrough application. I highly doubt two S475s can make enough HP to require this large of a carb. CSU says their 850 cfm carb has fed 1,600+ hp. Once again, how much hp are you shooting for? Anticipated boost levels will affect this too, though.

If you're looking for max HP from this engine combo, I recommend getting a cam from a designer who does turbo grinds regularly.

Have a good day!
Michael

When i talked with C&S i told them about the planned motor and its intended use, they thought the 1400 would fit the bill best since i will be driving it around not in boost almost all of the time and the bigger carb would be more efficiant when not in boost.

As far as HP, whatever it makes it makes, my big thing is running pump gas with a cam around the .700 lift or less to reduce valvetrain maintenance, but i would like to make somewhere around 1500+hp on pump gas if at all possible.

As far as boost, what do you think i could get away with running? I was hoping for 15-18lbs with a meth/water injection setup. 9:1 cr, also i run the motor around 160-165 degrees in the boat.

I was looking into coating the combustion chambers, valves and pistons to reduce detonation, does this work very well?

As for the IC, i have thought of building one for this motor but i've talked with a few turbo guys (turbo Dave) was one of them that was telling me for the boost levels i'm looking at running the injection cooling would be plenty, also C&S told me they liked the meth injection because it helps with the tunning under boost and will allow me to run the carb a little leaner for just cruising around not in boost. I can always run both i guess.

I'm a newbie for sure on this turbo stuff and there are alot of different ideas and ways to make these things work from what i'm finding out. I'm just trying to make sense of it all. Smile
Filucky
Filucky

Back to top Go down

Post  77f150 December 12th 2010, 12:45 pm

The only experiance I can add is the Water/Methanol injection. I added a SNOW performance to allow use of 94 octane gas (was running Av Gas before), well I can get it down to mid-grade with no problem but use 94 for a buffer. Make sure you take into account room for a large tank for the water/methanol, I put a cell in the bed of the truck to save constantly filling a smaller one. Great guys at SNOW to deal with, not to say the other companies are not good, I just have no experiance with them. Best of luck of the build.

588 twin turbo with Profiler heads, could use a little help IMG_0465
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Post  Filucky December 12th 2010, 1:10 pm

Thanks for the imput on the injection, i shouldn't need a very big tank though since i will only need the injection to kick on when in boost which will only be about 20-30 seconds in a day of boating. 99.9% of the time it won't be in boost so it's just a 9:1 cr motor then. Smile
Filucky
Filucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down