BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duraspark Ignition

3 posters

Go down

Duraspark Ignition Empty Duraspark Ignition

Post  James1965 August 18th 2011, 7:33 pm

I have a wiring harness, Duraspark ignition and 460 out of a 1976 Thunderbird that i'm putting into a 1965 Galaxie 500. I was curious if anyone had a basic wiring diagram for the ignition system? I have a Duraspark II diagram that looks similar but it shows a ballast resistor. The Thunderbird did not use one to my knowledge. on the thunderbird starter relay it only used the 1 wire red/blue starter wire.. the ignition post was unused. on the Galaxie both terminals are used.. so if anyone could shed any light on the wiring

Ignition box:
wires Green , orange, purple and black are pretty simple since they were still connected to the distrib and coil.
Red: -> ( run ) ignition switch and then to the ignition terminal on the starter relay?
White: -> ( start ) ignition switch T'd into the red/blue wire that goes to the starter relay terminal.

Thanks for any help.. again it is not a Duraspark II. its just a Duraspark. No ballast resistor.

James1965
James1965

Back to top Go down

Duraspark Ignition Empty Re: Duraspark Ignition

Post  res0rli9 August 18th 2011, 11:46 pm

Its a sticky at the top of this/ engine tech page
https://www.429-460.com/t4757-ford-factory-ignition-modules

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  James1965 August 19th 2011, 1:00 am

does it matter that they show it as a duraspark II diagram? is there a ballast resistor for this that I need? I did not see one on the Thunderbird when i removed most of the engine harness. and the Thunderbird starter Relay only used the starter post on the relay the ignition side was unused. I'm not doubting anyone's info, i'm just trying to clarify is all. I thank you all for the help.
James1965
James1965

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT August 19th 2011, 8:58 am

James, on my 65 fairlane with the duraspark 2, I did not use a ballast resistor. now don't leave the key on for extended periods of time( like 3 hours for me)...I burnt up the ignition coil.....but my D 2 works great!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down