BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 Won't roll backwards in neutral-Band too Tight?

4 posters

Go down

C6 Won't roll backwards in neutral-Band too Tight? Empty C6 Won't roll backwards in neutral-Band too Tight?

Post  512Fairlane August 23rd 2011, 12:45 am

I've been playing with my band adjustment trying to eliminate my 2nd gear flare. I noticed that where I had it adjusted the car would roll freely forward when in neutral but not in reverse. I loosened it another 1/4 turn and then I could turn the tires backwards although still not as freely as forwards. Is this normal for too tight of a band or do I have another issue? Even when it won't roll in reverse (in neutral) it will drive backwards when in reverse.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

C6 Won't roll backwards in neutral-Band too Tight? Empty Re: C6 Won't roll backwards in neutral-Band too Tight?

Post  crittersf1 August 23rd 2011, 3:28 pm

It may be too tight, how far did you back it off?
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

C6 Won't roll backwards in neutral-Band too Tight? Empty Re: C6 Won't roll backwards in neutral-Band too Tight?

Post  richter69 August 23rd 2011, 6:51 pm

Are you saying it wont roll in r even when the engine is not running?

They will always have more drag when turning the drive shaft or output shaft backwards............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane August 23rd 2011, 8:58 pm

richter69 wrote:Are you saying it wont roll in r even when the engine is not running?

They will always have more drag when turning the drive shaft or output shaft backwards............

In neutral with the engine off and the rear tires off the ground I could roll the tires forward but not backward. I loosened it 1/4 turn and then I could roll them both directions but like you say it had more drag backwards. I'm at around 1 turn out but my torque readings were a little flaky. I could get to 100 in/lbs but it wouldn't get much tighter than that. When it was running I could put it in reverse and back up but it felt like it was dragging a little. I had to rev it higher to back up then to go forward. I'll try re-torquing it again tonight to see if I can get a better reading.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 23rd 2011, 9:10 pm

running it too tight is gonna burn the thing up, I'm not a C6 guru but there must be a better way to fix the flare.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane August 28th 2011, 1:27 pm

Torqued to 120 in/lbs. 3/4 turn out and it won't roll backwards. 1 turn out and it rolls freely. It seems to be working fine I just won't be able to test the flare until I get to a track next month.l
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

C6 Won't roll backwards in neutral-Band too Tight? Empty 2nd gear flare??

Post  GaryS August 28th 2011, 4:50 pm

I think that you are saying that the 1-2 shift is slow. I just know that I am going to get a lot of shit for saying this but the poor mans shift kit is to remove the hockey puck from the valve body in the 1-2 shift accumulator circuit. The 1-2 shift will be quick and very firm. The old Ford C6 manuals said to eliminate that little hockey puck for police and taxi applications. If it is good enough for the state police, it should be good for moderate power applications. When I worked in a trans shop and dealerships, I did this to all 4X4s, fleet, and performance vehicles. 428CJs would bark the tires real good in the 1-2 shift.
GaryS
GaryS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down