BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone know what this is?

+4
Lem Evans
richter69
cool40
spiraldoc
8 posters

Go down

anyone know what this is? Empty anyone know what this is?

Post  spiraldoc January 17th 2012, 10:23 pm

Shown in the attached picture is a C6 transmission shift lever.. (If I'm lucky the picture attached properly) The 3 stamped steel pieces in the picture attach to these components: at the 12 o'clock position is the linkage to the floor shifter, at the 9 o'clock position is the kickdown linkage from the carburetor throttle, at the 7 o'clock position is the reverse lockout linkage to the steering column.

What the heck is the plastic piece at the 11 o'clock position? In my research on this I haven't had any luck in figuring out what it is. I only found two websites where it's mentioned, and only then in a round about way. One website vaguely referred to it as the "shift lever positioner". What is it supposed to do?

My speculation is that during assembly at the factory, or when someone is working on the transmission once the car is sold, a pin or bolt would go in the hole in this plastic piece and then into the corresponding hole in the body of the transmission to locate the shift lever at a certain position - perhaps in the park position or in neutral?

Is this correct? Is there some other use for it that I can't figure out? I have three of these transmissions with this plastic piece and it seems that it doesn't have a use other than what I've proposed. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Beating my head against the wall trying to figure out this mystery. Jeff

spiraldoc

Back to top Go down

anyone know what this is? Empty Re: anyone know what this is?

Post  cool40 January 17th 2012, 10:51 pm

it could be. pull the tailhousing off and ask yourself what the black ring on the tailshaft is for. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 17th 2012, 10:58 pm

don't see a pic, but from the description it sounds like the plastic acorn I find in those virgin 4r70's.............

we have fun with guys that come in with those and ask what they are for....we tell them just to be sure and put it back in lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 17th 2012, 11:10 pm

anyone know what this is? C620shift20lever

A little help for the Doc.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  spiraldoc January 18th 2012, 4:37 pm

Lem, Thanks for the picture. When I originally attached the pic, the message came back "The file you attmepted to attach is too large for a newbie.... come back in three years and resubmit." Smile

If you look at the picture Lem was kind enough to attach, its the plastic lever at 11 o'clock that comes off the central shifter rod. What does this piece do? Lem, I'm sure you know what it is - but you're just rattling my chain. Can't stand the suspense. What is it? Jeff J.

spiraldoc

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno January 18th 2012, 6:10 pm

isnt supposed to be bolted to the case Question Question

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 18th 2012, 10:08 pm

Doc...looks like you are out of luck on this deal.
The smartest people/ass's have considered it and no answer Smile

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 19th 2012, 10:38 pm

is that not part of the neutral safety switch on an early model c6? some OLD guy on here should know.................
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 January 21st 2012, 1:04 am

cool40 wrote:is that not part of the neutral safety switch on an early model c6? some OLD guy on here should know.................

somebody give the Man a Beer

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  badshoe January 21st 2012, 11:36 am

You can see this tranny doesn't have a linkage mounted safety switch. It was used at the factory to hold the trans linkage in position while the cars linkage rod and sometimes steering column interlock link was installed rolling down the assembly line. As said above, many Fords had the safety switches on the column or inside the floor shifter assemblies so they could also be positioned at this time. Once installed the screw was removed from the plastic holder. No need to worry about it anymore.

badshoe

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav January 21st 2012, 2:34 pm

badshoe wrote:You can see this tranny doesn't have a linkage mounted safety switch. It was used at the factory to hold the trans linkage in position while the cars linkage rod and sometimes steering column interlock link was installed rolling down the assembly line. As said above, many Fords had the safety switches on the column or inside the floor shifter assemblies so they could also be positioned at this time. Once installed the screw was removed from the plastic holder. No need to worry about it anymore.

Great reply Badshoe.. Dosent hurt to have a Ford Engineer hanging arround here. How is the Jag rear comming along in your Mustang?
Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  badshoe January 21st 2012, 3:11 pm

Thanks for making me an Engineer Al but I'm just a Ford tech. No Mustang projects either, might be thinking of someone else.

badshoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum