BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kINSLER stack efi

+5
rmcomprandy
GaryS
dfree383
c.evans
jasonf
9 posters

Go down

kINSLER stack efi Empty kINSLER stack efi

Post  jasonf March 18th 2012, 9:41 pm

So I emailed Kinsler on a cost for their SCJ stack electronic injection. I had guessed it would be $5-6k but boy was I wrong. It was just over $10k. Btw, I am not bashing Kinsler or anything just sharing my info for anybody else that might ever dream about one of their setups. The only part I found odd was that the base setup didn't include much then they charge you to machine some changes. Seems like if it needs machining it wasn't finished properly in the first place.

kINSLER stack efi Kinsler1

kINSLER stack efi BBFord_SCJ_EFI

kINSLER stack efi Kinslerquotepg1

kINSLER stack efi Kinslerquotepg2
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

kINSLER stack efi Empty Re: kINSLER stack efi

Post  jasonf March 18th 2012, 10:02 pm

The only other stack efi I have found is below but I have not inquired about it.

kINSLER stack efi 460F8.e

http://www.hilborninjection.com/product.asp?Id=367&CatId=176

And TWM using what I believe is the Blue thunder manifold.

http://www.twminduction.com/v8_kits/460.html

kINSLER stack efi Ford460pic6

Another version using the BT manifold.

http://www.verycoolparts.com/Stack.htm

kINSLER stack efi 429Arear

jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 18th 2012, 10:23 pm

Found another down under.

kINSLER stack efi Sema06_BBFord-287x388

http://www.morrisonoz.com/FordManifolds.html
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans March 19th 2012, 1:13 am

Jason, the Blue Thunder manifold is the basis for the those injectors from the Hilborn on down on your list. The Blue Thunder manifold is available with a Weber carb bolt pattern and is also available with the carb mounting surface either level (horizontal) or with a 7* inward tilt. They have also cast some with the "hm" Holman and Moody logo on the valley plate.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 19th 2012, 8:16 am

Their are a couple of companies that make weber look alike throttle bodies and fuel rails that work on the bt manifolds. With everything I'd think a savvy individual could put together a nice efi system for under 6k

Kinsler stuff is beautiful but they are not the place to be looking for a deal.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryS March 19th 2012, 9:04 am

I bought mine about a year ago so my information is dated. No one is making a individual runner EFI intake for 429/460. There are however, Weber/Hilborn compatable intakes for the 429/460. The main difference between EFI and carb intakes are the vacuum sources for MAP and IAC. Most of the 'machining' charges are to creat these vacuum sources. I searched for and priced older systems to upgrade to EFI and found that buying new was cheaper. My system is from COMP/Inglese/FAST. And yes...they are very proud of their parts. If you go this route, you need a very experienced dealer or you need to become an expert yourself. COMP put my package together...distributor, intake, throttle bodies, linkage, stacks, and the engineering/machining. COMP braggs about the clean look with the fuel rails hidden between the throttle bodies. It is a clean look but someone overlooked that the distributor needed to go where the fuel rails ran. COMP stepped up and paid shipping both directions to make corrections. Upon re-assembly, the distributor did fit but now the spark plug wires would not fit. I reversed the throttle bodies and linkage so now the fuel rails are on the outside of the throttle bodies and there is room to run plug wires and fuel return lines. Maybe not as clean but I'll take function over appearance any day. Another interesting thing was the throttle bodies are 50mm and COMP used the old Weber intake to Hilborn injector adopter plates. The adapters are 48mm...kinda like NASCAR restrictor plates.
This is an impressive system! COMP has great stuff. But, it is like everything today. YOU have to find an expert or become one. Tech support and sales are far behind in knowledge of this system. I will admit that my expectations may have been too high. $10,000 just does not buy much.
Inboard fuel rails (manifold not bolted in...pushed to the rear nearly 1" just for picture)
kINSLER stack efi Nov2011002
Outboard fuel rails
kINSLER stack efi 557002
GaryS
GaryS

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 19th 2012, 11:05 am

The KINSLER stuff ... bolt it on and drive it away.
Some people would rather mess with it all for a long time to get it right in order to save a few bucks.
Some people want stuff to fit and work right out of the box but, that part isn't free.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  D-CEL April 2nd 2012, 12:33 pm

Jasonb,

I hear you! Im ok with the maifold cost, but the they pound you like an alter-boy for everything else! Including things that should be part of the manifold cost.
Has anyone ever flowed the Blue thunder weber manifold? I am curious as to how it performs?

Jason(w)

D-CEL
D-CEL

Back to top Go down

Post  Calypso April 2nd 2012, 1:11 pm

Here's an alternative from Sweden:

http://www.unikracing.com/valj-kategori/ford

Requires use of distributorless ignition. Edit: at least some models do.

Calypso

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryS April 2nd 2012, 2:21 pm

Neat stuff! Nothing should be taken away from any of these systems, Kinsler, Hilborn, Inglese, TWM. The Swed's induction looks good too but I don't know about tech support. At least the COMP guys speak English. I researched most of them. COMPCAMS makes good stuff. We all have run some kind of COMP components at one time or another. COMP owns or is at leasted networked with FAST, Inglese, and many others. Right or wrong, I went with COMP, a big company with all the resources to offer a one price package. I don't think it is too much to expect a 'package' to fit together. If I had piece mealed the components together and made my own fuel rails, then I would expect to make things fit. I am not looking for a pound of flesh, I'm just stating my experience. The Kinlser system is stunning and they offered to provide a 'turn key' system. I wanted a little more 'hands on' system and that was not offered.
GaryS
GaryS

Back to top Go down

Post  Calypso April 2nd 2012, 2:52 pm

The Swedish deal is one man operation and I think you'd need be able to figure things out more by yourself. Although he has a tried and proven ecu/dis combo with sensors. If I recall the intake with injectors and rails was couple of years ago about 2500-3000 USD, and the whole deal maybe double that. Unless prices changed a lot, it's relatively reasonable.

Where else can you find stack efi for De Soto or Cadillac Very Happy ? He will pretty much make a manifold for anything, or anything else imaginable. I've visited his shop couple of time and it makes your head spin what the guy has made himself from wheels, brake calibers to locking differentials. True Ford guy as well, Galaxies and Marauders, cobra replica...

Calypso

Back to top Go down

Post  D-CEL April 18th 2013, 11:01 am

I thought i would post a little update on this subject. If you’re diligent and keep your eyes open you can find great deals. A couple of months ago a fellow cobra guy called me and said he bought a car with a 460 and a TWM EFI rig. He was going to flip the car and the new owner wanted a carb! So he pulled the whole system which I promptly bought for…..$2000.00 shipped! kINSLER stack efi IMG_1297_small kINSLER stack efi IMG_1296small
Yeeee Haaa!!
D-CEL
D-CEL

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf April 18th 2013, 11:54 pm

I would have promptly bought that too. lol
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  CDMBill April 19th 2013, 12:02 am

If you are to the trouble to run port injected IR EFI why use a distributor at all? You can run a Mega Squirt MS3 with wasted spark coils or coil on plug for less money and there are a lot of resources to get the tune lined up. Diyautotune.com to start. Similar but not the same look at Jay Brown's SOHC build on fe power. Com

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  D-CEL April 19th 2013, 5:54 pm

No distributor for me! I’m buying the Holley Dominator controller with a crank trigger and coil packs. I will have to run that distributor body (it’s gutted) to drive the oil pump, but I will be machine it down to near flush with the block so its cleaner.
D-CEL
D-CEL

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly April 19th 2013, 7:15 pm

Fast offers a dual pickup dizzy but no cover if you run individual coils. One could be machined to fit.

For smaller size AEM offers a dual pickup in a package similar to the Ford unit some adapt. They offer it in a 351W version so the shaft would have to be shortened.

Saves having to mount a crank trigger.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down