BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E85 Pros and cons ?

4 posters

Go down

E85 Pros and cons ? Empty E85 Pros and cons ?

Post  Nitro Lew May 4th 2012, 6:42 pm

Thinking about building my bbf to run on e85 sence I plan to take the car to cruise nights . I realy like the price of this stuff !! Would like to here the pros and cons of e85 ? What is the highest compression you would use with e85 on a street trip car? It will be on a 500+ aluminum headed bbf.

Thanks Lew

Nitro Lew

Back to top Go down

E85 Pros and cons ? Empty Re: E85 Pros and cons ?

Post  Dave De May 4th 2012, 11:07 pm

Pros
Makes allot of power, low cost, runs cool, sweet exhaust smell that doesnt gag you or linger on your clothing. It has a wide band for tuning and is easy on plugs.

Cons
You need to replace parts that are not compatible if you are set up for gas. More frequent oil changes. E85 is not as available in many areas. Harder to read plugs.

I run 13.5 to 1 compression
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace May 5th 2012, 8:41 am

I like the E85 stuff. Just have a good carb builder (Mark Sullens OR HP Innovations) do your set up. they will walk you through everything. I ran it last year but have oppt out for this year till I can get a bigger fuel tank in the dragster, Its 1.7/8 of a gallon. I will be making the switch back for both cars and even my small block mustang in the near future. I can no longer afford $9.00 a gallon for racing fuel

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitro Lew May 5th 2012, 10:35 am

How much cooler does you motors run on e85?

Nitro Lew

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De May 5th 2012, 11:50 am

How much cooler does you motors run on e85?

I cant answer from a scientific data because my car was purpose built for E85. My radiator is small and has 2 fans but unless the ambient temp is above 80 I only run one fan. It seems to take a long time to heat up the oil.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitro Lew May 5th 2012, 2:14 pm

Im going to have pro systems do a e85 dom for me . Going to go with about 13.1 . From what I have been reading there is a lot of guys doing this on the street . Most of them chevy guys but what ever a chevy can do a ford can do better..lol Ill only drive the car to cruise ins and maybe blast it around town on the weekends . One other thing I wanted to ask is how well does e85 keep in cans in the garage . I ask this because the place I will be buying it from is 14 miles away . I'm sure I will be buying a lot and just keep it in the garage. Also i read something about the winter time e85 not being as high of a octane?

Thanks Lew

Nitro Lew

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De May 5th 2012, 2:43 pm

Nitro Lew wrote:Im going to have pro systems do a e85 dom for me . Going to go with about 13.1 . From what I have been reading there is a lot of guys doing this on the street . Most of them chevy guys but what ever a chevy can do a ford can do better..lol Ill only drive the car to cruise ins and maybe blast it around town on the weekends . One other thing I wanted to ask is how well does e85 keep in cans in the garage . I ask this because the place I will be buying it from is 14 miles away . I'm sure I will be buying a lot and just keep it in the garage. Also i read something about the winter time e85 not being as high of a octane?

Thanks Lew
Horsepower Innovations only makes E85 carbs and for a very reasonable price. I know Pro Systems is great but arent they mainly gas builds. If you read the websites the two sources previously mentioned end up sorting out the big box carb builds.
E85 lasts a long time just make sure its closed because Alcohol eats water. Winter is closer to E70 but you will not be driving in the winter.

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitro Lew May 5th 2012, 3:46 pm

Yes they do e85 carbs . Patrick has always built my carbs .

http://www.prosystemsracing.com/e85.html

Nitro Lew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace May 5th 2012, 11:14 pm

I know you have your heart set on PROSYSTEMS But. He knows gas but not E85. Any biddy can build a E85 carb but will it work?
When you spend the money and it doesn't work right you will have Mark fix it and spen way more than needed. Like all the other pro system stuff he's done. Just take some time and Call him and he'll explain it to you.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryS May 6th 2012, 9:43 am

Quick Fuels did my carb. Needed very little adjustment. Ran great right out of the box.
13 CR with no cooling issues even with AC.
One other CON, E85 is unregulated...inconsistant mixes from one supplier to the next.
Rocket makes Race E85.

I'm going to keep running it even if I have to make it myself. Got a still permit from the FEDs.
GaryS
GaryS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down