BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cracked pg case number 2 of the year

+8
Race Ready Fabrications
Wheelie58
cool40
dfree383
whatbumper
powerstrokeace
richter69
soupbean
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cracked pg case number 2 of the year - Page 2 Empty Re: Cracked pg case number 2 of the year

Post  soupbean May 27th 2012, 3:24 am

Kinda looks like the first Fast and the Furious movie when he lifted the front tires on the mopar while smoking the back ones. I always wondered how that was possible. Now I know, it wasn't the tires smoking, it was a cracked trans case Very Happy

Cracked pg case number 2 of the year - Page 2 Th_MyMovieryaninshanonscar
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Cracked pg case number 2 of the year - Page 2 Empty Re: Cracked pg case number 2 of the year

Post  dfree383 May 27th 2012, 3:40 am

soupbean wrote:No, no limiters whatsoever...

You need to put some on..... your going to have a hard time getting any case of trans to live without them.

Not to mention the rear end and other parts are taking a beating.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean May 27th 2012, 3:45 am

dfree383 wrote:
soupbean wrote:No, no limiters whatsoever...

You need to put some on..... your going to have a hard time getting any case of trans to live without them.

Not to mention the rear end and other parts are taking a beating.

I've got something pictured in my mind of what you are speaking of but any pics by any chance?
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 27th 2012, 3:50 am

http://www.swracecars.com/Files/pdf/20_607.pdf

http://www.pro-werks.com/partlist/859/
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean May 27th 2012, 3:55 am

Perfect! Thanks DFREE!
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean May 27th 2012, 4:01 am

I can see the benefit of the limiters but with a rubber trans mount (unless there is yoke end play issues) could you really see this causing the case to crack? I cracked the first case on a chassis dyno.
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 27th 2012, 4:16 am

Line pressure or case flaws (Most of them are 40+ Years old) can also be a culprit.

But you need the limiters either way, The motor is moving back and fourth and thats not what you want.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 27th 2012, 11:01 am

I don't run a tranny mount but my limiters are connected to the ds loop and where the mount bolts on the tail housing. Stock case and it ain't cracked in the 5 years it's been in there. I think this is more of a line pressure issue.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 27th 2012, 5:28 pm

i have two small ones on the trans where the mount goes too.Cracked pg case number 2 of the year - Page 2 Last_r13 these come from a place on ebay....... Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney May 27th 2012, 10:00 pm

All this glide case cracking business has me Scurred to death...I do have limiters though so I hope it'll be ok.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 27th 2012, 11:20 pm

Like I said I have a stock case glide hanging from a used JW Ultrabell behind an used JW wheel that everyone says will grenade................ its been this way with no tranny mount for 5 years now, all passes ranging from 5.90's to well lets just say faster than high 5.30's lol @ 3000#'s plus without issue.

I will upgrade the case this winter along with the flywheel and a 6 pad converter.................unless it breaks before then.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney May 27th 2012, 11:34 pm

I hear ya. I got a 6 pad converter, and just bought a CSR aluminum flexplate on Keith Fulps advice should be fine...keep your fingers crossed.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 28th 2012, 1:41 am

I Have a stock case 1.76 glide in my mustang and haven't had issues cracking cases either.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE May 28th 2012, 2:10 am

Using fairly wide motor/mid plates without also having travel limiters is a probable cause for some trans case/component damage to happen. The engine/trans moving backward far enough (during the launch) to remove the slip yoke clearance an stack everything in the drivetrain solid isn't a good thing.

As for using the rubber/urethane tail shaft mount vs no mount at all, I just like the fact that using a mount means there is something there to help hold up the trans just in case there should ever be a case/bell housing failure.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 28th 2012, 10:25 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:

As for using the rubber/urethane tail shaft mount vs no mount at all, I just like the fact that using a mount means there is something there to help hold up the trans just in case there should ever be a case/bell housing failure.

That's my reason!

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug May 28th 2012, 12:01 pm

I still say if you busted the case you have something in a BIND
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean May 28th 2012, 9:47 pm

the Coug wrote:I still say if you busted the case you have something in a BIND

I don't know what could be in a bind. I have had the engine out a couple of times, the trans out a few times, everything lines up fairly decent. They both cracked in the same place, where the tail housing meets case just above the trans brake solenoid. Both cases used the same internals including pump, so i'm leaning towards excessive line pressure.
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 28th 2012, 10:09 pm

Change the spring out in the vb to lower the pressure to no more than 220 max with a stock case. Any more than that it is living on borrowed time. You have described the exact spot they break with too much pressure.

With an aftermarket case you can go higher than that.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean May 31st 2012, 1:07 am

Sid Neal with Neal Racing Transmissions should have my new trans done tommorrow. Turns out, he is with you Coug. He said where I am cracking them at are not where they typically crack due to excessive line pressure. He had me checking all kinds of things and he started shaking his head immediately when I told him I had to pull the trans to the side by hand to put the trans mount bolts in. I would have never thought that that little of a bind would be that big of a deal but apparently it is. Also found that my pinion angle is +1 degree so will be addressing that as well along with a few other things. Regardless, tomorrow I will have a trans good up to 1800 hp for future growth. Went with the Reid case, 1.80 straight cuts, 8 clutch high gear, billet servo, roller tail, etc.
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean May 31st 2012, 1:10 am

Oh yeah, one problem is I don't know what to do about engine limiters. Headers are not going to cooperate with installing them up front. I am going to continue to use the trans mount so no go there as I am weary of that anyway due to putting a loda against the trans after the issues I have already had. IDK scratch
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno May 31st 2012, 6:57 am

^^^^ ive never used engine limiters ......... but my deal is slow anyway Cool

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 31st 2012, 1:31 pm

soupbean wrote:He had me checking all kinds of things and he started shaking his head immediately when I told him I had to pull the trans to the side by hand to put the trans mount bolts in. I would have never thought that that little of a bind would be that big of a deal but apparently it is.

Hmmm. I read the entire thread again and this is the first time this was mentioned. You stated that everything lined up fairly well before. That is not fairly well.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean June 1st 2012, 2:19 am

whatbumper wrote:
soupbean wrote:He had me checking all kinds of things and he started shaking his head immediately when I told him I had to pull the trans to the side by hand to put the trans mount bolts in. I would have never thought that that little of a bind would be that big of a deal but apparently it is.

Hmmm. I read the entire thread again and this is the first time this was mentioned. You stated that everything lined up fairly well before. That is not fairly well.

Embarassed My bad dog. To me, a little pull to the side to put in the bolts = "lining up fairly well". The modifications have been made it is dead nuts now! Cool Here is the new implant just to ensure no more future issues...

Cracked pg case number 2 of the year - Page 2 Trans

I dropped the puny mid plate and I'm just going to run the trans mount. Next question, I can't find a "good" spot to install limiters so now that I have dropped the mid plate and have a good case, would it be safe to use a solid trans mount to limit lateral movement? Also, I mounted the trans tonight and now only have 1/16" clearence between the flywheel and the converter. The block plate has already been shimmed once. What are your thoughts on milling the converter ears? I don't know for a fact yet but I think I have plenty of clearence in the converter pilot to crank.
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean June 1st 2012, 2:29 am

bruno wrote:^^^^ ive never used engine limiters ......... but my deal is slow anyway Cool

How is your deal set up Nick?
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace June 3rd 2012, 7:23 pm

soupbean wrote:

Sid Neal with Neal Racing Transmissions should have my new trans done tommorrow. Turns out, he is with you Coug. He said where I am cracking them at are not where they typically crack due to excessive line pressure. He had me checking all kinds of things and he started shaking his head immediately when I told him I had to pull the trans to the side by hand to put the trans mount bolts in. I would have never thought that that little of a bind would be that big of a deal but apparently it is. Also found that my pinion angle is +1 degree so will be addressing that as well along with a few other things. Regardless, tomorrow I will have a trans good up to 1800 hp for future growth. Went with the Reid case, 1.80 straight cuts, 8 clutch high gear, billet servo, roller tail, etc.

Did Sid tell you to run AMSOIL COMPRESSOR OIL?

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next