BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

front seal and oil sliner

+3
466cj
Larry T
tconnection
7 posters

Go down

front seal and oil sliner  Empty front seal and oil sliner

Post  tconnection June 3rd 2012, 1:55 am

should i use the thin oil retaining plate that goes on before the spacer?
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

front seal and oil sliner  Empty Re: front seal and oil sliner

Post  Larry T June 3rd 2012, 2:08 am

yes put the oil slinger washer on befor you put the timeing cover on then you can put the spacer on.put some rtv sealer inside of the spacer befor you put it on.sometines oil will creep passed the spacer and you will have a mess.
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection June 3rd 2012, 2:16 am

Well auctually i didnt have a slinger so i didnt put one in but if its a big must, then im gonna have to come back off with the cover plus i would need thto buy thr slinger fron sombody. Who got them?
thanks men

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj June 3rd 2012, 2:40 am

Plenty of BBF doing just fine without the oil slinger. In fact sometimes it gets in the way with some timing chain sets and cannot be used. As long as you don't forget the front seal and there is no groove on the spacer where the seal rides should not have any oil leaks.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 3rd 2012, 9:03 am

466cj wrote:Plenty of BBF doing just fine without the oil slinger. In fact sometimes it gets in the way with some timing chain sets and cannot be used. As long as you don't forget the front seal and there is no groove on the spacer where the seal rides should not have any oil leaks.

Mine is running with out it with no leaks if the spacer does have a grove on it Napa sales a thin weddding band that will slip on it to take care of the groove.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 June 3rd 2012, 9:19 am

Fel-pro timing cover set TCS 45279 comes with the repair sleeve.
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj June 4th 2012, 12:06 am

69F100 wrote:
466cj wrote:Plenty of BBF doing just fine without the oil slinger. In fact sometimes it gets in the way with some timing chain sets and cannot be used. As long as you don't forget the front seal and there is no groove on the spacer where the seal rides should not have any oil leaks.

Mine is running with out it with no leaks if the spacer does have a grove on it Napa sales a thin weddding band that will slip on it to take care of the groove.
Yes called a "Redi-Sleeve". Many times when there is a groove if you measure everything find that the new seal will ride in a different place anyway. Depending on the front cover design and seal sometimes you can adjust where the seal rides too.

Steve

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection June 4th 2012, 12:52 am

It's a new hatchet weight spacer. I got the cover pretty much centered and with the spacer all the way on, the seal lip seems pretty tight. The surface that the lip rides on, is it wedged, angled, beveled or what? Is it a stopping point for the seal lip or just make sure the spacer is all the way on?
thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj June 4th 2012, 1:15 am

Seal just rides on the flat part of the spacer. The spacer goes in until it is against the timing gear. When you put the damper on and tighten the bolt holding it all slack will be taken up and everything will be solid.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  meandad June 4th 2012, 12:16 pm

I did not use the slinger because it was not compatable with my chain.you can modify the slinger to work with a non-compatable chain(do a search),but I did not know it at the time.There was also no concensus as to whether it was needed or not,some said yes some said toss it.Well guess what?,the only place it leaked was the front seal.Not all the time,just above 4K,and not to bad,just enough to piss me off. Your results may vary!

meandad

http://jpsherte@hughes.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 4th 2012, 9:38 pm

Don't worry bout the slinger. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down