BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost

+14
ianxy351
D. Sea
jason
norm
hienergy557
c.evans
bbf-falcon
Frank Merkl
BOSS 429
cool40
Barney
richter69
rmcomprandy
Tore
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost Empty A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost

Post  Tore September 11th 2012, 8:22 pm

I finally was able to get my engine in this year and have had problems with the restrictors in the A-460 block. The guy that assembled it screwed the 3/8 pipe plug into far and it blocked off the rear oil port I couldn't pull the oil pressure off the back of the block. It was an honest mistake.

Well with all that resolved I fired the engine tonight and sounds great but i have an issue when it gets warm I only have 20 pds coming off the rear port behind the intake and I have 80 pds coming off the side port beside the fuel pump plate. ???

Where should I be pulling my pressure from? And is there a problem some where?

Need some input,totally frustrated with this deal.

Thanks Tore

Last edited by Tore on October 16th 2012, 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : title)
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost Empty Re: A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost

Post  rmcomprandy September 11th 2012, 8:45 pm

Tore wrote:I finally was able to get my engine in this year and have had problems with the restrictors in the A-460 block. The guy that assembled it screwed the 3/8 pipe plug into far and it blocked off the rear oil port I couldn't pull the oil pressure off the back of the block. It was an honest mistake.

Well with all that resolved I fired the engine tonight and sounds great but i have an issue when it gets warm I only have 20 pds coming off the rear port behind the intake and I have 80 pds coming off the side port beside the fuel pump plate. ???

Where should I be pulling my pressure from? And is there a problem some where?

Need some input,totally frustrated with this deal.

Thanks Tore

Use the front location. The rear location is actually meant for an idiot light sender.
What you describe happens when the lifter oil galleries are UN-restricted or hardly restricted in the rear.
Unless the rear hole was tapped larger or the plug used had a 3/8-NPS thread instead of a NPT, it CAN'T be screwed in far enough to reach that oil passage.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost Empty Re: A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost

Post  Tore September 11th 2012, 8:49 pm

I don't know what to say but I have restrictors in there front and back with .060 holes in them per Lem.

Are you saying this is the correct location to plumb for oil pressure?

Other people had this issue?

Thanks Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 11th 2012, 9:34 pm

mines plumbed into the idiot light location and reads perfectly fine............1/16" hole in the restrictor rear only......I do have a kick ass pump though.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 11th 2012, 10:11 pm

I also use the rear with no issues. No kick ass pump required.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 11th 2012, 10:12 pm

Tore wrote:I don't know what to say but I have restrictors in there front and back with .060 holes in them per Lem.

Are you saying this is the correct location to plumb for oil pressure?

Other people had this issue?

Thanks Tore
if your restricting at the front you'll see low psi at the rear.use the front location.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 11th 2012, 10:14 pm

^^^^^^ its restricted at both ends
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 11th 2012, 10:18 pm

richter69 wrote:^^^^^^ its restricted at both ends
yep,but the front port dont know that,lol.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 11th 2012, 10:48 pm

something is wrong,take it apart
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl September 11th 2012, 11:54 pm

I run a .070" in the rear and a solid plug in the front ,read the oil pressure in the rear and it reads right . sounds like you you have a problem
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore September 12th 2012, 6:14 am

Can the roller lifters be installed wrong?

I pulled these out of my Dove Block and am now using an A-460 block.

The Tie Bars are facing up towards the intake,there comp Roller lifters?

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 12th 2012, 8:28 am

You have the Comp lifters in there right Tore.I also get my oil pressure from the rear. My restrictor is in the rear ,i'm pretty sure. Is this the first build w/this perticular block?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore September 12th 2012, 8:50 am

Rick,

Its the comp lifters I had in the 514ci along with pan,pushrods,pump.

Its a new block never used before,been sitting on the stand for almost 2 years. I just swapped out all the parts from the other engine.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 12th 2012, 9:04 am

I personally think it has something to do w/inside plugs. You had 0 pressure at the back,and alot at the front,and now you have 20 at the back and 70 at the front. Something is out of place for sure. confused

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore September 12th 2012, 9:14 am

I had 0 pressure when we spun it with the big drill, Now engine running its at 20 pds at back when warm, Never tried the side port to get a pressure with a drill when I was priming it.

Something is wrong never have gone thru this before.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans September 12th 2012, 10:49 am

Tore wrote:I had 0 pressure when we spun it with the big drill, Now engine running its at 20 pds at back when warm, Never tried the side port to get a pressure with a drill when I was priming it.

Something is wrong never have gone thru this before.

Tore

Tore,

Start with the plugs. R&R them and double check everything. It could be as simple as teflon tape partially covering the hole to the gauge.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore September 12th 2012, 11:01 am

Charlie I am going to check that tonight along with another gage,

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  hienergy557 September 12th 2012, 10:18 pm

My gauge is connected to the rear port and the 0.062" restrictor is in the rear, no problem. I think you better do some checking.
Cheers Colin
hienergy557
hienergy557

Back to top Go down

A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost Empty Back at it need some help.

Post  Tore October 16th 2012, 7:20 pm

I finally was able to get some time to (TRY) to figure this problem out. I pulled the timing cover and removed the front restrictor and put one in with no hole but I have one restrictor in the back with a .060 hole and I have 100 pds pressure off the side of the block ZERO off the back of the block.

With a front restrictor in with an .080 hole and a restrictor in the back with a .060 I have 100 pds PSI off the side of the block and 70 pds. psi off the back.

ALL these specs are cold with a drill.

When the engine is warm running I end up with 20 pds psi off the back and when I rev it a little oil pressure doesn't increase.
I have no idea whats the problem. I used these same lifters in a Dove Block no problem.

Thanks Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  norm October 16th 2012, 8:33 pm

when i primed my A block it got up to 70 lbs with the drill. .080 hole in restrictor in the front, rear has no hole. my gauge was in the rear port when priming.
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 16th 2012, 8:52 pm

Tore wrote:I finally was able to get some time to (TRY) to figure this problem out. I pulled the timing cover and removed the front restrictor and put one in with no hole but I have one restrictor in the back with a .060 hole and I have 100 pds pressure off the side of the block ZERO off the back of the block.

With a front restrictor in with an .080 hole and a restrictor in the back with a .060 I have 100 pds PSI off the side of the block and 70 pds. psi off the back.

ALL these specs are cold with a drill.

When the engine is warm running I end up with 20 pds psi off the back and when I rev it a little oil pressure doesn't increase.
I have no idea whats the problem. I used these same lifters in a Dove Block no problem.

Thanks Tore
if you put a plug in front "without" a hole in it how is it gona oil? confused
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore October 16th 2012, 9:00 pm

Your correct,but I am trying different scenarios.

Before when I primed ,and only had the .080 restrictor in the front with a blocked restrictor in the back I had 0 pressure. Lem said to put a restrictor in the back with an .060 hole and then I end up with 70 pds psi.

I am lost on this deal.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans October 16th 2012, 9:25 pm

Tore,

Make absolutely sure that the 5/16" pressure gauge hole in the back of the block, goes all the way down. It should intersect the lifter galley first, and then continue on and intersect the dedicated main galley second. I have an A-460 block where this hole is off to the side a little bit, and barely intersects the dedicated main galley. You will need a 6" long drill bit if you are going to redrill that hole.

Now then,,, if you have an Eliminator block, then be advised that their pressure gauge hole does not intersect the dedicated main galley. If you read pressure from the back of their blocks, you will only be reading the pressure that the lifter galley has.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore October 16th 2012, 10:30 pm

Charlie are you refering to the port on the top of the block where my gage would hook into. I take it you are saying it should go straight down.
Correct???

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  hienergy557 October 16th 2012, 11:31 pm

Not Charlie, but you are correct.
It should go straight down past the gallery where you would put the plug in to restrict the lifters and meet the gallery that supplys oil to the (priority)mains.
Cheers Colin.
hienergy557
hienergy557

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next