BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

timing question

4 posters

Go down

timing question Empty timing question

Post  emptypockets September 25th 2012, 10:17 pm

I have a 429 with d3 heads,stock bottom end,edlbrock rpm cam,stealth intake, headers. no vacuum advance. i set it to 36 degrees total but sounds not normal. i dont know if its the cam. starts good hot. can u advance more. engine is kind of a mongruel. didn't know much about fords when put together.
emptypockets
emptypockets

Back to top Go down

Post  B & j CLASSIC CARS September 25th 2012, 10:35 pm

i had a professional engine rebuilder buld my 460.. i installed cam and edelbrock timing chain and gears. the gear had 3 slots for advance or retard.. i called the rebuilder because i could not figure for sure which one to use. he said uses the stok postition unless you are in all out racing then use the degree wheel to get it exact. the reason he gave for this was that a lot of the cam manufacturers build an already advance into the cam. if yours was like mine (edelbrock rpm) which was a fairly healthy cam , i could not read and understand all the specs i got with the cam. i nstalled mine in the stock setting .. the engine is very stron and quick response.. dont know if this will solve your problem but it's a place to start.i did find through researching that 429's and 460 are very sensitive to retard and advance on the cam ....bj

B & j CLASSIC CARS

http://none at this time..use yahoo mail account....bjclassiccar

Back to top Go down

Post  emptypockets September 25th 2012, 10:55 pm

B & j CLASSIC CARS wrote:i had a professional engine rebuilder buld my 460.. i installed cam and edelbrock timing chain and gears. the gear had 3 slots for advance or retard.. i called the rebuilder because i could not figure for sure which one to use. he said uses the stok postition unless you are in all out racing then use the degree wheel to get it exact. the reason he gave for this was that a lot of the cam manufacturers build an already advance into the cam. if yours was like mine (edelbrock rpm) which was a fairly healthy cam , i could not read and understand all the specs i got with the cam. i nstalled mine in the stock setting .. the engine is very stron and quick response.. dont know if this will solve your problem but it's a place to start.i did find through researching that 429's and 460 are very sensitive to retard and advance on the cam ....bj
i did degree the cam had to advance it 4 degrees to be right . i have low compression. at idle it sounds like s**t kinda racey.
emptypockets
emptypockets

Back to top Go down

timing question Empty Re: timing question

Post  airford1 September 29th 2012, 8:26 am

30 degree's total is all my 11/1 compression BB wants with aluminum heads and 93 gas. I my experance the stock type low compression 460 is really kind of a dog.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave September 29th 2012, 9:19 am

emptypockets wrote:I have a 429 with d3 heads,stock bottom end,edlbrock rpm cam,stealth intake, headers. no vacuum advance. i set it to 36 degrees total but sounds not normal. i dont know if its the cam. starts good hot. can u advance more. engine is kind of a mongruel. didn't know much about fords when put together.

I'm guessing the camshaft is not doing you any favors, although not the cam's fault, just a bad choice for your application! You wrote in a later response you have no compression. That could be verified by the ignition timing and you wanting to add more. Ignition timing will not solve the issue of low cylinder pressure caused by the static compression and camshaft values, it may "band-aid" it however! I would bet that engine would run at 45* to 50* of ignition timing and continue to start when the engine is at operating temperature. If you advanced the camshaft 4*, it is now 9* advanced according to the cam's specs. A bit to far, IMO.

A summary.

Change camshafts. Use a part suitable to your application. ALL aspects of your application must be included in your camshaft selection.

Have a good day,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down