BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another C-head?

+6
Wheelie58
bbf-falcon
Curt
c.evans
Frank Merkl
badcoupe
10 posters

Go down

Another C-head?   Empty Another C-head?

Post  badcoupe October 28th 2012, 7:21 pm

Are there several different styles of these heads? Early model? Late model and if so w

hich one is better

Thanks

badcoupe

Back to top Go down

Another C-head?   Empty Re: Another C-head?

Post  Frank Merkl October 28th 2012, 7:23 pm

C460's are the same to start as the ports are rough cast
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  badcoupe November 3rd 2012, 2:09 pm

well my new engine guys head porter said there is an early c head and there not worth using

badcoupe

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans November 3rd 2012, 3:24 pm

badcoupe wrote:well my new engine guys head porter said there is an early c head and there not worth using

Well if he's your head porter guy, believe him. He must be pretty smart. I've CNC ported 53 sets of them and I didn't know that.

Charlie Evans

P.S. If he finds any more of those early C-460 heads that are not worth using,,, I'll take them for the price of scrap aluminum and pay shipping on them, if he'll send them my way. Wink

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  badcoupe November 3rd 2012, 3:28 pm

I understand Charlie and told him he's full of shit but you know engine guys and he's also an engineer so he's never wrong .....pm sent charlie

badcoupe

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt November 3rd 2012, 9:00 pm

c.evans wrote:

Well if he's your head porter guy, believe him. He must be pretty smart.

Another C-head?   Chuckle
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 3rd 2012, 9:11 pm

Gerry,he might be mistaking the C head w/one of the other older heads. Charlie knows them all as good as anyone. If I have any head ?'s ,I always call him.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  badcoupe November 3rd 2012, 9:14 pm

Ya rick I know something he said about there being a new and old casting like the A heads

badcoupe

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 November 3rd 2012, 10:01 pm

I bet Charlie has been prepping C,A,E,BT,CJ,D0,and more, since Lem was a boy.
Y'all better listen....
:-)
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 3rd 2012, 10:20 pm

badcoupe wrote:Are there several different styles of these heads? Early model? Late model and if so w

hich one is better

Thanks

There was something going on.
The 1st C460 engine I did had WW rockers....the intake rocker tip was very much off front to rear. I expressed my consern......WW person said I had the right stuff.
Two years later I needed some replacement parts....the person that answered the phone said.....your the guy that has the wrong stuff....WW sent me the correct stuff that hit the valve correctly Cool .
The new stuff landed on the tip of the valve ~ correctly.

Bottom line is...there is some early stuff that has the intake valve closer to the cyl. wall.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans November 3rd 2012, 10:26 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:I bet Charlie has been prepping C,A,E,BT,CJ,D0,and more, since Lem was a boy.
Y'all better listen....

No, I really haven't. Very Happy I just got really tired of doing cast iron Buick Stg 1 heads and always getting my eyeballs drilled to get the metal out. I don't have nearly that amount of trouble with aluminum heads. It's due to the smaller size of the chips between cast iron and aluminum.

The BB Fords make so much more power and Lem is the one who really introduced me to them. I've only been doing them since the late 1990's. Very Happy

From time to time we do have core shift problems with the C-460 heads, (afterall they are castings) however, I can't blame that on either early heads or late heads. They did more a valve guide centerline over several thou., it was the exhaust I believe, and that was very early stuff. That doesn't make the heads "not worth using" though.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  badcoupe November 3rd 2012, 10:33 pm

Got your message Charlie thanks

badcoupe

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 November 3rd 2012, 11:13 pm

c.evans wrote:
Wheelie58 wrote:I bet Charlie has been prepping C,A,E,BT,CJ,D0,and more, since Lem was a boy.
Y'all better listen....

No, I really haven't. Very Happy I just got really tired of doing cast iron Buick Stg 1 heads and always getting my eyeballs drilled to get the metal out. I don't have nearly that amount of trouble with aluminum heads. It's due to the smaller size of the chips between cast iron and aluminum.

The BB Fords make so much more power and Lem is the one who really introduced me to them. I've only been doing them since the late 1990's. Very Happy

From time to time we do have core shift problems with the C-460 heads, (afterall they are castings) however, I can't blame that on either early heads or late heads. They did more a valve guide centerline over several thou., it was the exhaust I believe, and that was very early stuff. That doesn't make the heads "not worth using" though.

Charlie

"only since the late 1990s..."

If only I had that experience......
You guys make me laugh my ass off...
The Gurus....
Us Hillbillies in GA are sippin' clear liquid and scratchin' our heads....
Some day, I will figure out the KY magic. I gotta...since I am officially 1/2 Kentuckian
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 4th 2012, 1:56 am

Wheelie58 wrote:
c.evans wrote:
Y'all better listen....

Charlie

"only since the late 1990s..."

If only I had that experience......
You guys make me laugh my ass off...
The Gurus....
Us Hillbillies in GA are sippin' clear liquid and scratchin' our heads....
Some day, I will figure out the KY magic. I gotta...since I am officially 1/2 Kentuckian
Keith
only half! Embarassed i dare ask what the other half is......... cyclops
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 November 4th 2012, 7:14 am

Hoosier...
My Momma ventured across the river to Indiana.
Wink
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans November 4th 2012, 9:29 pm

Oh Lord, the fact that she married a Yankee is sinful. Exclamation Laughing Razz

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 November 4th 2012, 10:07 pm

10-4 on that...
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj November 5th 2012, 2:04 am

c.evans wrote: They did more a valve guide centerline over several thou., it was the exhaust I believe, and that was very early stuff.

Charlie

Yes it was moved over .030" towards the intake becuase of guide failure causing the valve to hit the cylinder wall on smaller bores or so the story goes. I wonder if he actually has a set of D heads with the Pro stock block bolt pattern? Since the only difference on an early C/D head is the head bolt pattern it is drilled for he may be thinking it is a goofed up C head Suspect Laughing

466cj

Back to top Go down

Another C-head?   Empty C-460

Post  Gary Blair November 7th 2012, 10:09 am

The first C & D-460's had the exhaust + .030 away from the intake valve. They also had a problem with exhaust guide failure because the guide had a taper and would crack. If you have these just install a PPC blunt nose nickle bronze guide. You can also get a larger intake valve in these early heads.

Wilfred has stands for the early and late exhaust valve placement.
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down